Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 19:08:05 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The DECWARE Live Feed for Speaker Auditioning! (Read 6443 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

The DECWARE Live Feed for Speaker Auditioning!
10/04/19 at 02:08:18

Playing the Lii Audio Crystal-10 cabinets live Oct 12th all day and all night.

https://www.decware.com/newsite/zenfestcam.html

WWW   IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Re: The DECFEST Live Feed is UP!
Reply #1 - 10/04/19 at 02:35:36

Tell Randy and Bob that yes we can hear every cuss word that they are saying!

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 10/04/19 at 02:58:21

Sounds really good.  

I am in trouble though. The crystal 10s sound good enough to buy just hearing them on the live feed.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #3 - 10/04/19 at 03:01:22

The bass of the HR-1's is enormous!

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 10/04/19 at 12:28:11

Last night around 9:30 the levels were a bit hot. I was getting some distortion coming through at all volume levels.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #5 - 10/04/19 at 15:06:49

Listening this morning, this is the best the feed has ever sounded, IMO.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 10/06/19 at 04:35:50

To all at DECFEST the best! Have a great time
Wish i could have made it

TORII MKIV-25th,ZBIT,ZROCK2-25th,ZTPRE-25th,ZLC,DNA2's, REL S/3 SHO
MyTek Brooklyn DAC+,Sonore ultraRendu LinearPS,sonicTransport APi7 4TB
Woo WA6, Sennheiser HD660s
RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 10/06/19 at 06:45:55

Seems like the OB's have been the star of the show as each time I tune in they have been playing the Big Betsy's (most often I should say).  Has anybody happened to catch/hear the Lii Flagship Speakers?  Would be really curios about the impressions of them.

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #8 - 10/06/19 at 07:19:14

Quote:
Has anybody happened to catch/hear the Lii Flagship Speakers?  Would be really curios about the impressions of them.

Same

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
HDDR1
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 10/06/19 at 16:08:30

Yes I listened to both the Crystal 10s in the open baffle and their large cabinets.  I think they are fantastic but get Lonely Raven and others to weigh in as they have been doing this a lot longer than I.  So my listening impressions are with the Zen 25th amp and preamp.  Zrock2 engaged with the open baffles, bypassed with the cabinets.  Various comments in no particular order and I will try to put into words what I heard.

1)  The F-15s / Big Betsy's have more bass impact and are fuller in the bass region.  This means when we shifted to the Big Betsy Jr's I had to shift gears.  That being said I like definition and tightness of the bass better with the Crystal 10 even though there was less impact.  What I was left wondering is there a way to support the Crystal 10 driver in the lowest octave with another woofer cut off by an inductor....  Clearly to my ears and tastes the Crystal 10s have more resolution and details than the F-15s and I just loved the Crystal 10s in either speaker platform.

2)  The Big Betsy Jr sounded wonderful with the ZRock2 engaged - and less so without it.  A must purchase together.

3)  The Big Betsy Jr had speed, resolution, naturalness and musicality.  Just so smooth and enjoyable sound.  Perhaps is this the coherence we think we get from well designed drivers with no crossovers?  I don't know but so pleasurable to listen too.

4)  The Crystal-10s in the cabinet had significantly more lower bass as expected given the driver design.  Maybe it gave up a touch of speed but perhaps gained a touch of density.  It filled the lower bass quite well - I loved the sound.  At the end of the short listening session my vote was for the Crystal 10s in the cabinet.  The bass it brings just cannot be ignored.

5)  I wish I could have hours to listen to both the Big Betsy Jrs and the Crystal 10s in the cabinets across lots of my musical selections in a quiet room to really come to a conclusion on what I liked the best.  Truth is I could enjoy either Crystal 10 platform or the Big Betsy long term - I thought to my ears they were that good.

Conclusions for me personally:

- I think I want to build my new system around the Crystal 10s.  I have various ideas from keeping it simple and buying the complete speaker from Lii Audio to just purchasing the drivers and trying to accomplish an outstanding open baffle setup like Wolfgang but using these full range drivers as the centerpiece.

- The Crystal 10s will let my play ALL my music well with just a 2 watt amplifier.

-  Toying with the idea of my future system being based around 2 sets of speakers - the Crystal 10s as my primary setup and when I want to party hard and loud and want that awesome bass impact in my gut for rock and blues music then I put in the Big Betsys.

This was a great trip to hear great equipment.  
* Dank had awesome new prototype monoblock amps that I loved and might consider for my Vandersteen system (it would take it up quite a few levels as I am running my 2Ces with solid state amps from the mid 90's.).  I believe they would be fantastic for any system including the F-15s and Bob's new HR-1s.
*  Speaking of Bob's new speaker - I wish I could have heard the presentation of it in my home where I have 10 ft ceilings - my gut says it would sound gorgeous in my home.  I loved the sound we were getting out of them Saturday morning.
*  Randy had a pair of Betsy baffles with a 12" woofer supporting the Betsy driver.  Very very nice - stunning the sound you get for the money.  An awesome option to build yet another quality system around.
*  And last but not least - I felt that Steve's anniversary amp and preamp brought out the best in a lot of speakers.  I wish I had time to listen to all the above mentioned speakers with the ZMA but too many people and not enough time.  Thank you for everyone there for sharing the listen time and experience.  Kudos to Steve for what he brings to our audio community and what a generous and kind host.  Thank you to both Steve and his wife!

I hope this helps a little but let's g et the feedback of others - we had over a dozen of us seriously listening and would love to hear them put their listening experiences into words.  Lean on them for better input.

Ken

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #10 - 10/06/19 at 16:31:47

Thanks so much Ken!  I was going to request an overall assessment of everything.

Pal, can we get the same type of breakdown/opinion from you?

Thanks,

Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 10/06/19 at 19:25:58

Quote:
Speaking of Bob's new speaker ...

Is this the modified HR1 or another design?

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Showme
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 10/06/19 at 21:17:46

Apparently Bob has updated/modified the HR-1 again and it sounded terrific. He said they haven’t named it yet.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 10/06/19 at 21:50:26

Again, again?  He changed the crossover and upper driver last year.  Has he done further mods?

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Showme
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 10/06/19 at 22:13:11

That’s my understanding. He was task without doing himself.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 10/06/19 at 22:33:36

Bob was modest as usual about the new radials. In person the craftsmanship was stunning. He used Padauk hardwood which gave the speakers a rich look. They sound great as well, even with the two watt amp and preamp.

The new radials should be called HR-2

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #16 - 10/07/19 at 23:05:59

When setting up the levels for the live feed I had to make a choice between it sounding great when the speakers were loud, vs. sounding great when the speakers were at a normal volume.  So I chose the normal volume.  That means that when they started cranking it, with the bigger amps, the audio on the feed would clip.  It also meant that when someone listened at low levels, the feed volume would be too low.  This is why the feed sounded periodically distorted.  The systems in the room were not distorting, only the feed.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #17 - 10/07/19 at 23:19:52

So now that the live feed is set up from the fest, I plan to use it to make some videos of the various speakers that are here for those who didn't get to hear it on the live feed.

That said, a video doesn't tell you much, since the combination of being family short in length, and having the music pre-selected for you often leaves people teased without hearing anything they like.

This weekend, I will light the feed up with the Crystal 10 cabinets from Lii Audio on a 2 watt Zen Triode amplifier and broadcast it live starting early Friday evening.  That way it will be possible to listen to several hours of random samples from the Decware playlists.

At the same time I will link to a discussion thread about them where you can comment on what you're hearing.

Thanks,

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Re: The DECWARE Live Feed for Speaker Auditioning!
Reply #18 - 10/08/19 at 00:27:53

Steve...great idea to fire up the live feed post Decfest for listening sessions.  

Do I hear the makings of a dedicated  “Decware Radio Station “ in the works?   What a great idea..I bet you will get a lot of us listening in on a regular basis.  

I tuned in for a good chunk of the Decfest, and really enjoyed the variety of music. I particularly liked listening to the discussions that the guys had about their evaluation on the different pairings of Decware gear.  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 10/08/19 at 01:48:53

Hey Geno,

I put my comments in the big Betsy thread. In general I am in agreement with what’s been said here.

Overall I think the Zrock was overused at the fest.  I didn’t feel it was needed on the crystal 10s and at higher volumes I didn’t like it on any of the speakers.  

Some may feel you can’t get a good idea of a speaker via the web. I disagree.  I think this is a great idea.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #20 - 10/08/19 at 01:59:44

Hi Pal,

I saw your comments. I appreciate it! And I appreciate everyone else’s comments about the Fest as well.

Looking forward to the live feed Friday evening. Did I read it right, that Steve is going to play the Crystal 10 in the cabinet, exclusively?

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 10/08/19 at 15:14:11

I'm not sure i can tell what a speaker sounds like over the web but I can hear the differences between speakers over the web.  What I would like is to hear the same piece of music on two different sets of speakers.

A web controlled AB switch box would be AWESOME

i lived vicariously watching the sound room.  My favorite was one of the women there all by herself tapping her foot to the music.  I think sometime I get so wrapped up listening to stereo I miss the music.

Keep up the good work ... maybe someday Ill be able to make the trek.

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #22 - 10/08/19 at 18:31:20

regarding the Crystal 10's in their Lii Audio cabinets.... I did not hear them in the OB's.  But in their cabinets, IMO, they have the best, and most, top end I have ever heard from a full-range crossover-less driver.  Their top end is about as open, detailed, airy, delicate and pristine sounding as you can get - full-ranger or not.  But definitely the best I've ever heard from a full-range type of driver.

They did lack a little in the "power" range of bass frequencies - i.e. mid-bass, in this configuration.  This is why Steve was/is so torn about the use of the ZRock with them I believe.  This will likely come down to a personal preference/room acoustics/partnering equipment/etc. issue for most folks.  And.. I only heard them driven by the SE84UFO3 mono's on the west end of the room.  With a different amp, this impression might change.  They certainly didn't need more power, they got plenty loud, but that aside, different amps are likely to give them a slightly different personality.

Also, just my opinion, bass can be "added" if you must have more.  OB bass drivers, like Augie's, etc., that I've had lots of personal experience with, are pretty good at mid-bass - not so much with "deep" true sub-woofer type bass.  

The Lii Audio F15's in the big baffles, driven by the ZMA will leave you picking your jaw up off the floor.  They do not have the top end of the Crystal 10's or the resolution.  But you won't really notice that unless you hear both of them side by side.  The F15's are just warmer, more weighty sounding, more forgiving through the mids (not quite as resolute) than the Crystal 01's. Their bass/slam in the big baffles will leave you wanting for nothing.

I purchased a pair of F15's - site unseen nor heard.  I could tell by others impressions early on, when the buzz started here on the forum,  that the probability of me liking them would be very high.  When I heard then at Decfest, my hunch was confirmed.  I don't have them installed in my OB's yet.  But hopefully will within a couple of weeks.

Also, I left Decfest with the thought that I might just have to have some Crystal 10 drivers too.  Especially since I already have some big 5.6 cu.ft. reflex ported cabinets sitting around empty right now that I could put the Crystal 10's in.  So many projects, so little time.... let the countdown to retirement begin.....

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 10/08/19 at 18:47:52

+1 to pretty much everything Maddog said.  

However, and I don't know the chain, I heard them sound a little shouty and muffled.  This was in the cabinets.

The next day, I heard them in the OBs and they were very smooth, open and detailed.  I especially like MDs comment on the high end.  I did run them back to back and agree that you wouldn't know until you did this.

I'll be listening to the webcast to see how they sound in the cabinets.  I suspect something was up when I heard them in the cabinets before.  I'd love to just hear just Mac-DAC-Zibit-25th.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 10/11/19 at 01:28:07

@HDDR1 thanks so much for the great breakdown!  The Lii' Flagship Speakers look really interesting, the cabinets are really cool looking (in a retro sort of way) as well.  I wonder if they could be done in another veneer such as homey walnut or teak... for $2500 great price too.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #25 - 10/12/19 at 00:04:11

Does anyone know when the live feed starts?

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 10/12/19 at 01:07:06

Geno,

The live feed is up and running.  Just click on the Zen Fest 2019 live feed link Steve put in his first post on this thread  It takes a minute or so to load.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #27 - 10/12/19 at 01:14:05

Feed went online at 7:00 P.M. CST.

https://www.decware.com/newsite/zenfestcam.html

These are the Lii Audio Crystal 10 cabinets being driven by a stock pair of SE84UFO3's.  I have checked the feed and want to say up front that the feed captures the bass exactly as it sounds live, which is crazy deep.

Hope you enjoy it.  I plan to let it run all weekend ; )

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #28 - 10/12/19 at 02:14:50

Got it on. Sounds great!!!

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Audio Addict
Verified Member

Reply #29 - 10/12/19 at 03:09:46

I agree this sounds excellent through my headphone system!!

IP Logged
johnnycopy
Seasoned Member

Reply #30 - 10/12/19 at 05:49:25

Steve,  Thanks for taking the time to do this for us.

Some guitar music i am listening to just now sounded absolutely great!

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #31 - 10/12/19 at 06:40:20

Doing some late night listening in the car at work.  Going from my cell phone into my Dragonfly Red and into my car’s Aux input. The sound is very full and clear, and the variety of the music really showcases the strengths of these speakers.   

Thanks Steve for doing this...I’m really enjoying it!  I wish I could have made it to Decfest and heard these speaker’s in person.  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 10/12/19 at 14:57:35

Tried listening this morning. I'm not hearing anything on the live stream, so the music may be off for some reason.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #33 - 10/12/19 at 16:47:24

No sound for me either at 10:47 AM CST.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #34 - 10/12/19 at 17:34:37

OK, the sound for the feed went down during the night when my computer went to sleep.  Also once last evening when Qobuz decided to stall out in the middle of a song... something it does all the time.  I tried to put it in offline mode so that wouldn't happen, but well, we'll try harder this time.  I should be able to keep it going all day today since I will be around to fix it if it stalls.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #35 - 10/12/19 at 17:52:53

Just like during Decfest (via livestream) I can really hear the CR-10 cabinets.  Something slightly muffled and cavernous.  Maybe stuffy even.  Does this ring true to those who have heard them in person?

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #36 - 10/12/19 at 18:09:30

Archie,

Remember you are listening to stereo microphones suspended about 6-8' above the speakers, your not listening on axis in the sweet spot.  It's not going to sound as good as "being there".  There is no congestion in these speakers at all, possibly some room related issues - there is a lot of equipment & speakers throughout the room.

The Crystal 10's in the Lii Audio cabinets sounded incredible to my ears at Decfest. Some of the clearest sounding, full range single drivers I've ever heard. At $2500/pair they're also an amazing value.

I heard some brightness in the treble region on the open baffle version the first day of Decfest, possibly something in the equipment chain or a tube slightly distorting. On the second day thev sounded great, possibly due to some change in the equipment chain (I think the ZROCK2 was disabled on Saturday - Day 2). I preferred the cabinet speaker sound over the open baffle set up, but that's just my ears.

Anyhow, the Lii Audio Crystal 10 & F-15 drivers both are musical as hell. Like Steve's amps they belong in some Stereo Hall of Fame, IMHO.

HK

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 10/12/19 at 18:18:31

Good to know.  I'm not surprised that they don't translate perfectly via the livestream.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #38 - 10/12/19 at 18:49:15

HockessinKid, I agree!

IP Logged
BillW
Verified Member

Reply #39 - 10/12/19 at 18:51:28

Hi I’m new since watching Decfest online this year.  I wondered what happened last night, awesome it is up and running again today.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #40 - 10/14/19 at 01:26:47

Thanks to everyone who watched the feed!  Hopefully it was helpful.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 10/14/19 at 03:07:03

Thanks for doing this Steve. I tuned in several times over the weekend. I enjoyed your music selection.  I also got a better feel for the crystal 10s.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print