04/19/24 at 23:57:59 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cart Before the Horse (Read 2825 times)
BMWk75
Verified Member

Cart Before the Horse
09/09/19 at 23:33:32

Well I have decided to get familiar with a Reel to Reel. Most of my equipment is vintage type..except my Decware Zen and Omega RS-5's.

I just purchased a Teac A3300sx.It is still wrapped in plastic and in original box with factory packing. I read GENOs message about spending $800 on refurbish. My question is : Is this unit worth big bucks to bring into spec?
or take that money toward a higher end unit Revox, Otari Ampex etc.
I am totally confused.
Thanks
Dan

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Re: Cart Before the Horse
Reply #1 - 09/10/19 at 12:16:43

Congratulations Dan. That is a fine deck!

If it hasn’t had it done already, it will have to be cleaned up internally. As old as it is, it has to have that done. And there are a list of things that would have to be done to it. At least $800 worth.

One of the big questions is, What shape are the heads in? If they would need to be replaced in the future, that would be another chunk of money.

As to whether or not you want to spend this money on the Teac, or get a 15 ips machine, it depends on what your goal is. If you want the holy grail, you need 15 ips to take advantage of some of the new recordings that are currently being made.  But, if you would be happy with a great sounding, solid unit, that will last, then you are good with the Teac. I love mine!

IMO, the most economical option, would be to get a unit with heads that are in good shape, and has been fully refurbished.

Hope this helps,

Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
BMWk75
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 09/10/19 at 12:36:33

Thanks Geno, I really enjoy reading your post on different issues. Its been a long fun road with vintage audio. To quote my best friend since early school days, " HEY MAN, LETS BUY THE STEREO EQUIPMENT WE COULD NOT AFFORD IN HIGH SCHOOL". So down the road we go!
Best to you! I am sure I'll be picking your brain in the future.
I emailed Sam @ Skywave about bringing it up to date.
Best to you Geno!

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #3 - 09/10/19 at 14:13:38

Good choice. I’ve heard nothing but good things about Sam. Supposed to be one of the best.

Yep on the vintage audio. When I was a teenager, I dreamed about owning a reel to reel player. Then years and years passed. It was a dream come true once I got mine.

Best,

Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print