Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 12:14:26 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Importance of polyfill in a speaker (Read 1391 times)
BAndrade
Seasoned Member

Do it once, do it
right. Repeat for
quality life.

Importance of polyfill in a speaker
09/08/19 at 06:29:02

I recently replaced the manufacture's polyfill with MUNDORF MSilence TWARON Angel Hair and MUNDORF MSilence TWARON Unicorn's Tail speaker cabinet filler in all the 5 chambers of my 5 way speakers.
Also worth mentioning was the chambers were filled about 20% more quantity wise than as shipped by manufacturer.

Results:

The improvements in sound stage in the tweeter and higher midrange housing were the least (if at all). But in the lower mid-range and most definitely the bass output improvement was palpable - more natural, less bloat with more defined but more importantly it seems to me I am hearing lower bass frequencies. I have not done the measurements with my dB meter yet, will get back when done.

Form this experience, I would say do not waste your time and money doing the higher ranges but for the lower ranges it is money and time well spent doing this easy upgrade.

IP Logged
BAndrade
Seasoned Member

Do it once, do it
right. Repeat for
quality life.

Re: Importance of polyfill in a speaker
Reply #1 - 09/08/19 at 23:29:44

Not much to see but here is a photo of the Mundorf speaker fill.

I have now taken some measurements. My dB meter is showing 1 to 2 dB more but only for the bass drivers. I feel the lower mid-range driver also is slightly louder perceptually but my meter is not indicating it perhaps because of its sensitivity limitations.

Also more excitedly I perceive lower frequencies than before. I am so certain of this but it is subjective. To ensure that my mind is not making me believe it, I placed an order for a XTZ Analyzer II Pro.

It was a calculated buy as I will also use the XTZ Analyzer II Pro for other purposes such as room analysis, absorber and diffuser panel placement, speaker placement and find the speaker toe and distance to back wall required etc. I'll also be able to use it for my 7 channel home theater system so perhaps worth the $380 or so.

IMG_20190908_104110_resized_20190908_060411282.jpg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print