03/28/24 at 22:59:22 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
UPS (Read 1202 times)
Keith
Verified Member

UPS
08/25/19 at 01:12:08

Sold my Tori MK IV here on the forum. It arrived intact  to the buyer which was a relief.
I shipped it in the Pelican case and when I got a quote from UPS it was very low compared to the actual cost.
OK that's life. but to add to that insult, after the amp was delivered UPS charged me an additional 20 bucks because the Pelican case was not in a cardboard box!
That really pissed me off.  >:(  Really thought it was pathetic.
These couriers got us by the balls.

IP Logged
funch
Seasoned Member

Re: UPS
Reply #1 - 08/25/19 at 23:47:52

I have a DAC in transit with UPS now, and their website said that they were having some kind of lower price that I took advantage of, so I'm hoping that they aren't planning on pulling the same crud on me.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #2 - 09/11/19 at 05:16:33

They are a great example of what happens when you get too big to care and it all becomes about money.  What pisses us of at Decware (who have lost 10's of 1000's of dollars eating UPS damage claims so our customers don't feel the pain of having shit destroyed and then the claims automatically denied with a system of steps designed to fatigue the parties into submission...) is that they actually get rewarded for this kind of crap. In fact the more they do it the more money they make. Where does that money come from... the victims.  You and me.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 09/11/19 at 13:21:11

I'm surprised to say this but. . .I prefer to use USPS when I can. I have never had to use their claim service so can't comment on that. . . but that in itself says something. At least things get there, I've rarely had any "postage due" things happen, and even though at times we feel like "step-children" in home delivery (my township actually doesn't have a post office, so we use the next town's, the county seat, and we get a few delays now and then) when dealing with shipping OUT from the post office nothing but courtesy and professionalism, and straight pricing.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #4 - 09/12/19 at 14:43:41

It appears that my experience with UPS has been better than most .....

However, international shipping is definitely less expensive using the USPS.
The primary reason I use UPS most of the time is that the local Staples office supply store is a UPS agent and just a couple of minutes from my home / shop. The gent behind the counter is super friendly and helpful and we are on a first name basis.
The folks at USPS are also very friendly ..... but there is one old fellow at the counter who has to struggle to pick up a carton containing a pair of my Betsy baffles .....  

I have also been unusually fortunate as to damages .....
Of the hundreds of pairs of speakers shipped, there was only one mishap.  UPS managed to run the tine of a forklift through the carton and nick the base of one of the speakers.
Someone had told me that the "magic number" for claims was $100.00 ..... so I turned in a claim for that amount. They sent me a check and I sent the money to the customer who just happened to have a woodworking shop and was able to repair the damage .....

Of course, the fact that I use custom fitted PE foam "channels" to secure the speakers and line the entire interior of the carton with 1/8" hardboard probably has a lot to do with the low incidence of damages.

If I was a superstitious person, I would now be concerned that I probably just cursed myself and the next ten pairs of speakers I ship will end up in the UPS trash compacter .....

Happy listening,
Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #5 - 09/12/19 at 14:57:32

Mr. Randy,

You and Steve definitely do the best job of packing that I've ever seen. I really think they could be dropped from 30-stories, and be just fine. Commendable. Smiley Smiley Smiley

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Smellman
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 10/06/19 at 03:59:01

I have to add my comments simply because of how disgusted I am with UPS.
I had needed my amp to be delivered on a certain day due to my schedule. I figured that since UPS "guaranteed" their delivery date that I would be good. Decware was great throughout the whole process and shipped on the day I needed. While checking my tracking I got a message saying that it was delayed due to a truck being late. I had to leave work early(losing several times the shipping amount in wages) in order to receive the package on the updated delivery date. Since it was shipped with Decware's UPS account, I called and they were happy to open a refund request. Long story short, the third party that UPS uses to do their dirty work threw out every excuse, including outright lies and denied the refund.
I understand that delays happen but don't offer a "guarantee" that you have no intention of fulfilling.
Regardless of the result, I do want to thank Sarah and DeVon for dealing with those scumbags.

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #7 - 10/08/19 at 18:44:27

There's a reason UPS has "earned" the moniker United Package Smashers....

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
AustraliaQLD
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 06/26/20 at 05:18:10

I also got ripped off many times by UPS - I refuse to buy anything that the seller insists be sent via UPS now!

USPS is often 1/3 of the price for sending USA->Australia!

UPS always sting us for import duties - which with their "fees" double the cost of the 10% sales tax here.

I have so far NEVER had ANY extra charges from USPS

Thought I would just let people know this
Wish I was aware of this many years ago
- seems many people still do not know

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 06/26/20 at 13:31:54

I too have had very good luck and service with the USPS. I support them when I can, especially in these times.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 06/28/20 at 22:59:49

i do not support any entity that's backed by a public union. these public unions are parasites who only add fat and cost with no ROI associated with that fat and cost, are political and no input aloowed from the public. additionally, and worse, they pay homage and fund the marxist-progressive left at the national level.....which in turn is part and parcel in funding marxist-led organizations like BLM (a corporation) who is absolutely hell bent on destroying the country.

one day USPS will be gone......the sooner the better. hopefully they will be privatized and enter into true competition rather than be protected by quasi-competition.

i stand for private companies whether i've had problems with them or not. the bigger picture is competition via private means.

IP Logged
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 06/29/20 at 18:42:48

From my own personal experience, I've gotten better and more reliable service from the post office than the private carriers.

Acer Laptop, Curious USB cable, Holo Audio May L2 DAC, ZRock 2, SE84UFO25, Fast 15 Network, Caintuck Audio Fast 15, Decware DSR3S/DHC2/ZFOCUS cables, Swiss Digital Fuse Boxes, Cryotone tubes (5AR4-WC, EL84-WC X 2, ECC88-WC, 0A3-WC X 2, 0D3-WC, 12AU7-WCL)
  IP Logged
bokat57
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 06/29/20 at 19:04:18

piezoman

This is an audio forum. There are many appropriate sites on the web where you could express your fascist viewpoint.

Thanks
Bob

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #13 - 06/29/20 at 19:27:18

Alright now! Bokat, you are not helping matters by taking a parting shot. Piezo and all other members. This is an audio forum. Please refrain from political statements. There are other internet sites that are geared more towards that.

Like Paul Harvey used to say "Thank you, and good day"

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
bokat57
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 06/30/20 at 00:38:28

No No Thank You and Have a Good Day

Thanks
Bob

IP Logged
donovan
Verified Member

Reply #15 - 07/01/20 at 02:55:50

Just for kicks I like to keep track of the latest conspiracy theories. Above Top Secret was one of my daily reads, but in 2016 it was hijacked by political extremists. You can go there now and instantly see what it has become. Its depressing and I'd hate to see a good audio forum experience go the same way.

Now I have nowhere to go for the latest on silent black triangles in the sky and interdimensional sasquatch!  :)

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print