Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 06:16:01 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Crystal 10 driver in a ZOB? (Read 1630 times)
Dana
Seasoned Member

Crystal 10 driver in a ZOB?
08/13/19 at 16:53:33

I realize that it's a 10 inch driver instead of a 8 inch but could the ZOB be  modified and tuned to provide the bottom octave and depth of the the 15 inch with no loss to the open baffle clarity?

If the sound is baffle shape related could the ZOB front be altered to to resemble a cello shape (stacked Betsy baffles)?

I'm sure I'm not the first to think about this but I'm fascinated about the finding and would love to hear other's thoughts regarding.

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: Crystal 10 driver in a ZOB?
Reply #1 - 08/14/19 at 04:28:55

First of all the stacked betsy shape would probably be really nice giving the ZOB more midrange weight and more powerful projection.

Before I would put a similarly low Q driver into a ZOB design, I would rather hear it with a higher Q driver.  Having to increase the size of the ZOB in any way starts to bring in lots of competing designs, like the Big Betsy which would just smash it into the dirt with a similar amount of real-estate.  Putting a Betsy driver in a ZOB or similarly higher Q driver would have more bass and the ZOB cabinet size would not have to change.

On the same wavelength, scaling a ZOB way up to accommodate the higher Qts  F15 driver would likely edge out the Big Betsy Baffle by extending the bass another decade at least and the texture of that cavity properly stuffed is really a positive enhancement to the midrange, not just low bass.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Re: Crystal 10 driver in a ZOB?
Reply #2 - 08/14/19 at 08:43:46

I had been wondering the same thing, Dana. It seems to me that taking the box off the back of the ZOB, and attaching it to one of the big open baffles would give you the best of both worlds by filling in the low end. It would be a beast, though, as I'm guessing that the box would have to be scaled up to match the baffle. It would take a forklift to move it around. (But the sound would be worth it)!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print