Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 11:09:58 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Seeking Advice on Reel to Reel (Read 6381 times)
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Seeking Advice on Reel to Reel
07/27/19 at 18:29:57

I'm considering purchasing a reel to reel and don't know much about where to start. Would this be a good one? https://www.ebay.com/itm/TECHNICS-RS-1506US-2-4-TRACK-DECK-REEL-TO-REEL-W-ORIGIN...

I would also need to send my zp3 back in to have tape deck mod?

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
DirectStream DAC (APS nickel transformers, Vocm mod)
ZTPRE | ZBIT | ZROCK2 | SE84UFO3
Omega Super 3 HO XRS | Deep 8
Zenwave D4 | PCR-11 | PI Audio Uberbuss
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Re: Seeking Advice on Reel to Reel
Reply #1 - 07/28/19 at 04:25:26

That is a beautiful machine, that looks to be in wonderful shape. But in my opinion, overpriced.  What is your budget?

I got a Teac several years ago, and have done hours of research on the subject. I have units split into 3 groups depending on how much you want to spend:

1) Buy new - there are some really awesome units currently in production. But they have a pretty hefty price tag - starting about $7000. If you can afford it, this is the way to go, because the heads (3) would be new and probably properly aligned and calibrated. You want one that is 15 ips. This, as Steve says, is the holy grail of music playback.

2) Buy vintage, FULLY RESTORED  -  there are quite a few companies now that sell nice vintage machines that have been restored to like new condition. Oak Tree Vintage is an example of this. You can get a nice player like this starting around $1500.  Otari, Revox, Technics, Tascam, etc are machines in this category. Once again, 15 ips capable.  Just make sure the heads are new or like new. There should be a long list of things done as part of the restoration process.

3) Buy Vintage, unrestored -  This is what I did. I got a Teac in great shape. Got it on the Reverb site for $500. But what I didn’t understand was that it would need to be restored. I spent $800 to get it back to spec. Mine is not 15 ips capable, just 3 3/4 and 7 1/2, but I love it.  I buy new reels of tape ($70) and record on it. I love the results.  Also, sometime in the near future, I’ll need to get new heads ($800-$1000)

So you see, you can save money upfront if you by vintage, but ultimately you will probably spend more in the long run than if you had just bought one fully restored to start with.

Good luck,

Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 07/28/19 at 05:03:22

Thanks so much, Geno. Exactly the type of information I was hoping to get. I'll familiarize myself with the options you provided and see where I'm at. Smiley

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #3 - 07/28/19 at 06:00:52

With you living in California, in the vicinity of big metro areas, you may be able to find a nice one fully restored and ready to use within driving distance.

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #4 - 07/30/19 at 02:05:04

Pursuit,

This is a great example of what you’re looking for:

https://reverb.com/item/25936422-otari-mx-5050-bil2-silver-black-in-excellent-co...
ndition?gclid=Cj0KCQjwsvrpBRCsARIsAKBR_0Il_w3kQ25SPZgL8Yi-QzJ0smzFUoWgQ1mDEftvlf
SlW0TbuqwzlTMaAk1wEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&merchant_id=120322306&pla=1&utm_campaign
=672877369&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 07/30/19 at 05:10:01

Thanks for sharing, Geno! I was just reading up on the Otari MX-5050 and the Technics RS1500 series over on https://tapeproject.com/machines/. The upgrades over at https://bottlehead.com/product-category/kits/reel-to-reel/ look to be a good value as well.

---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
Joe
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 08/18/19 at 05:09:07

I just bought a similar (RS-1506) machine for about $1,500. I have sent to J-Corder near Seattle to refurb and bring back to factory specs plus a few mods. If nothing else, you might look at their website to see what’s possible. Good luck to you.

IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 08/18/19 at 16:36:01

Thanks! I'll look them up.

---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 08/19/19 at 16:43:38

Any of these decks will be amazing when operating as new with well recorded media.  The media is where things get crazy. I have several Teac, Akai, and other machines restored that run 3 3/4" and 7 1/2" ips and after much saving and searching I  have acquired 2 amazing 15" and 30" ips decks in the last 18 months ( a Studer A810, and an Otari MTR10-2) and they are in MINT condition and operate as new. It's the media that is the killer. I have established a handful of very reliable collectors that have slowly let me into their circles. I'm talking guys who have 500-1500 albums of VERY low generation copies that I have been slowly building my collection from, but at 200-450 and up an album it is not for the faint of heart. Having said that nothing has put a smile on my face or blown my mind like high quality tape through a good system.

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
EverSolo Streamer/DAC combo
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
TEAC and Otari tape machines
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
Ullur
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 08/22/19 at 00:20:32

If you go the Technics RS-15xx route, be prepared to re-cap the boards. I had mine done a few years back for around $600.

The original little purple capacitors leak in their old age. Unless a listing specifically states this has been done during servicing, it hasn't. This isn't to say a machine that hasn't had this done won't work. They will usually tune right up then wander and provide inconsistent playback over time. Sometimes you will also experience weird intermittent issues. A close visual inspection will most likely reveal corrosion on the pins on the underside of the caps (looks like white mold).

I've found the forums at tapeheads.net to be very informative. That's also where I sourced my deck and the local technician who re-caped it. Also had him mod the outputs so I have the option to use an external preamp while he had it apart.

As for choosing between the Otari MX-5050 and the Technics RS-15xx, the Otari has more pro end features. I needed something that could play 3-1/4,7-1/2, and 15ips. and look good sitting in the living room. The Otari looks like a set pice from Star Wars. Most have had a hard life professional life in radio/studio production and have dings and scratches. Changing tape speeds from the high 15 and 30ips settings to the lower 3-1/4 7-1/2 speed settings requires calibration each time it's done. Those factors lead me to the Technics.

BTW, you might find yourself considering the RS-1520 due to the builtin EQ setting for NAB and IEC. I know I did after reading the Tape Project site. My Tech informed me that they may look similar on the outside but there are 1520 specific parts that are basically unobtainium. He has customers that have been working for years trying to source parts for needed repairs.

Marantz 2270, ZDSD, Technics RS-1500, Technics SL-1200M3D, Benjamin Miracord - ELAC 50h w/ Grado Prestige 78C, AR-4x, JBL L65 Jubal
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #10 - 08/22/19 at 02:41:15

Great info Ullur!  The issues with aging internals and designs based on functions other than just stellar playback are great reasons why bypassing the onboard electronics and using an external tube playback preamp not only makes sense, but will sound better.  Just depends on how much you want to invest in this tape system and whether or not recording is important.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 08/22/19 at 06:05:01

Thank you Ullur! I agree with Jeff, great information. I'll definitely check out the forums on tape heads.net.

---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print