Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 20:43:55 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The Lii Audio F15 driver - Caintuck Audio style (Read 15777 times)
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Re: The Lii Audio F15 driver - Caintuck Audio style
Reply #50 - 09/20/19 at 18:02:25

Hydro dipping
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48jFJnuvE4g

I've seen it done, semi magical.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #51 - 09/21/19 at 19:24:00

Hi Steve,

I have been giving some thought to possible additional finishes ..... we will definitely have to discuss the options when I'm in East Peoria.

So far, everything I have done has turned out pretty well ..... but the "Darth Vader" look is very appealing in my he shed listening room .....

I made another pair with contrasting (light colored) base screw buttons and they look pretty nice as well. That is probably the pair I will bring for audition to the Decware Fest.

Happy listening,
Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
waxburger
Verified Member

Reply #52 - 11/15/19 at 02:25:03

I've had my pair of Lii 15" OB from Caintuck  for a couple of weeks now and I can't imagine getting more speaker for the money.  They sound great, Randys craftsmanship is top notch,  they look exotic, they're user friendly, and one man portable.   I started out driving them with a couple of mono strapped ZKit1 amps and they were really impressive, then I hooked up the bigger  mono blocks and excellent became excellent-er with another 40-50 watts. I would definitely recommend these to a friend.  I predict that some day, when they don't make 'em anymore, the Lii 15" will be one of those legendary 'barn-find' type drivers people dream of getting their hands on.
JC

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #53 - 11/15/19 at 13:03:31

Greetings Everyone,

I thought I'd post my exploration and listening impressions of the Lii Audio F-15 drivers and purchase of a pair of Caintuck Audio Lii 15 baffles.

To begin I highly recommend the Caintuck Audio Lii 15 OB speakers. I listened extensively to the Lii Audio F-15 and Crystal 10 drivers at this years Decfest. The majority of the time was focused on Steve's wonderful Zen Master baffles, with an all 25th Anniversary Zen amplifier and CSP3 preamplifier. Some additional time was spent with a combination of a 25th Anniversary modified Mystery amplifier and 25th Anniversary CSP3. I also spent more limited time (a few hours early Saturday morning) listening to Randy's Lii 15 speakers with the same amp & preamp combinations as noted above. 

I really became enamored with the sound of the F-15 drivers, particularly in the open baffles. They handled all types of music and source equipment extremely well. Tonally these speakers sounded very natural on acoustical music and vocals. They also provided a solid bass foundation to the music which is sometimes lacking in single driver speakers. Steve's larger, 2" thick open baffles were absolutely amazing, but pretty large and heavy. The Zen Masters are definetly statement speakers anyone would be proud to own. Randy's smaller Lii Audio 15 baffles exhibited the same musical qualities, excepting the huge soundstage compared with Steve's Zen Master baffles. Soundstage height in particular seemed affected by the smaller baffle.

Given my interest in getting a second pair of speakers for my main system, I asked Randy to build me a pair of the Lii F-15's with sapele hardwood sides and a center maple board. The speakers look terrific and most importantly sound AMAZING in my small listening room (13.5'W x 15.5'L x 7.5'H).

I now have about 120 hours on the drivers, so they aren't fully broken in yet. In my listening room, the speakers present a super wide & deep soundstage with very realistic soundstage height. So any of my initial concerns about soundstage height were eliveated. Also, I tried placing the speakers on 10" high sand filled MDF boxes to see what would happen. Soundstage height did increase a bit, but the speakers simply lost their magic. These speakers need to be coupled to the floor to sound there best, right Randy😊.

In closing the Caintuck Audio Lii 15 OB speakers are one of the most satisfying stereo equipment purchases I've ever made. They represent an incredible value proposition for those wanting to simply hear great sounding music. Coupled with a Decware amplifier (mine being a Decware Mystery amp) and good source equipment you have system that sonically rivals the very best available at a cost most of us can afford.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #54 - 11/15/19 at 14:44:50

Hi waxburger and HK,

Many thanks for the kind words concerning the Lii 15 baffles .....

I have shipped several pairs to customers and received very positive feedback on all of them .....

HK is absolutely correct about the "driver / floor" relationship.
In a larger baffle (with more surface area) like the ones Decware is offering, the drivers can be a greater distance from the floor ..... but in the smaller baffles the coupling to the floor is an integral component of the low frequency tonal balance.

The stereo image / soundstage "floating" above the smaller baffles is a pretty amazing sonic illusion, for sure.

My hat is off to the designers and engineers at Lii Audio and to Steve for turning the Decware forum members on to these amazing drivers.

Happy listening,
Randy

WWW   IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #55 - 11/15/19 at 16:19:35

Waxburger and HK - Thank you for the informative reviews - lots of good information there.  I am curious about a couple of things:

(1) Have you used a ZROCK with the speakers, and if so how did the speakers respond?  Or is there plenty of bass without the ZROCK?

(2) Are the "high end" frequencies satisfying?  I believe that the Lii-15 frequency response is pretty flat up to about 14,000 hz.  From what I read, that is about as high as a "mature persons" hearing goes, but am curious about your thoughts.

Again, thanks for providing these reviews

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #56 - 11/15/19 at 17:51:10

Tone-Deaf,

(1) Have you used a ZROCK with the speakers, and if so how did the speakers respond?  Or is there plenty of bass without the ZROCK? Yes, I use the ZROCK2 between my phono preamp and CSP3+ preamp. Adds plenty of bass and lower midrange emphasis. Sounds great. My ZDAC has a built in ZBIT, so I don't use the ZROCK2 in my digital (PC, CD transport & DAC) chain. I have plenty of bass with this option as well.

(2) Are the "high end" frequencies satisfying?  I believe that the Lii-15 frequency response is pretty flat up to about 14,000 hz.  From what I read, that is about as high as a "mature persons" hearing goes, but am curious about your thoughts. These speakers have plenty of smooth treble and high frequency response. I haven't measured the frequency response in my room.  The Lii-15's ssem to have just as much high frequency response as my Omega SAHO-XRS speakers, which claim a 40Hz - 20,000 Hz response.  Also, I have played around a lot with toe-in of the Lii-15's.  I don't notice any loss of treble with the speakers firing straight ahead or pointed directly at my listening position. These speakers appear to have have a very wide dispersion of all frequencies, my guess a characteristic of the OB design.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #57 - 11/16/19 at 01:39:54

HockessinKid - Thank you for the reply - very useful information!

IP Logged
howard1818
Verified Member

Reply #58 - 11/22/19 at 05:00:52

I've been talking with Randy about a center channel, my mains are 4 way speakers with a woofer in a cabinet and the mid in another cabinet with a mid tweeter and super tweeter in an OB. Any thoughts on how a Lii15 would do as a center channel? I know it's tough to know but lets see what everone thinks, thanks

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #59 - 11/23/19 at 19:10:21

I am closing in on 200 hours with Randy's Lii-15's. They just keep sounding better. The treble has really smoothed out. The bass, well that is something truly amazing.

I spun my new 45RPM MoFi Dire Straits "Love Over Gold" release yesterday. I was simply overcome with the intensity of deep bass notes on several songs. These speakers sound so incredibly fast with Decware 25th modded amplification that nothing gets lost in complex musical passages. It's absolutely magical.

I am looking forward to blowing a few minds of family members on Thanksgiving. Something tells me few guests will be watching football games here on Thursday.

HK

IP Logged
Casey
Verified Member

Reply #60 - 12/05/19 at 04:16:44

Okay was approaching 100 hours on my Lii15 Caintucks and honestly not super happy.  Had this midrange glare that no matter what got swapped - preamps, source, cables, never fully went away except with great recordings.  Thinking the Lii15 and Decware amp were probably a mistake.
took
Yesterday morning I tore it all apart and built things back up from real minimal system level.  Wasn't really expecting much

took out the preamp (s) and used the Exogal dac playing dsd straight into the Decware amp
pulled out cheapish dueland interconnects and ran them from dac to amp
replaced expensive cat8 ethernet cables with affordable blue jeans cat 7
put a herbies tube damper on the decware driver tube
put a hardcover book about UK golf courses on top and feet under lumin streamer (which has a new power supply breaking in too)
ditched the lampizator dac

the sound - don't think my jaw dropped but if I thought about it it would.  Detail, seperation, dynamics, tone.  Affraid to turn things off they sound so good - even xmas music for my granddaughter.

Not sure what which change is responsible.  This hobby can be frustrating!

have EtherRegan coming and improved power supply for Exogal and have been reading about Sophia Electric 274B for the rectifier on amp but am I going to mess with this fine art of balance I have found.  Just listening for now - Andrew Bird and Molly Burch sounding sweet tonight and no not a mistake - lovin this sound and presentation in my small room.

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #61 - 12/05/19 at 14:58:08

Hi Casey,

First of all ..... many thanks for taking the time to experiment with your system setup. Component matching and system setup can make a HUGE difference in the overall sound .....

The customer feedback on the Lii 15 baffles has been very positive.

Based on the emails I have received from customers, the Decware ZROCK can be a very useful addition to the Lii 15 baffles to customize the tonal balance.

Another option for those who are considering components for a new system is the Decware Rachael amplifier. The EL34 tubes give you a totally different sound than the EL84 / SV83 tubes in the lower powered Decware amps and the Rachael sounds superb with either the Betsy baffles or the Lii 15 baffles.

Just something to think about ..... it's good to have options .....

Happy listening,
Randy

WWW   IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #62 - 12/05/19 at 18:29:53

I wonder if any of it has to do with better isolation?

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Reply #63 - 12/06/19 at 01:00:53

I also have Randy's Lii 15 speakers and have the Sophia Electric 274B Aqua's in my system. Everything sounds better in my system with the Aqua as my rectifier tube. I highly recommend it.

Acer Laptop, Curious USB cable, Holo Audio May L2 DAC, ZRock 2, SE84UFO25, Fast 15 Network, Caintuck Audio Fast 15, Decware DSR3S/DHC2/ZFOCUS cables, Swiss Digital Fuse Boxes, Cryotone tubes (5AR4-WC, EL84-WC X 2, ECC88-WC, 0A3-WC X 2, 0D3-WC, 12AU7-WCL)
  IP Logged
Casey
Verified Member

Reply #64 - 12/06/19 at 17:09:01

Thanks for the feedback everyone

seems clear to me that the Lii15 and UFO combo are a lot more revealing about problems upstream and/or poorly recorded music.  I had a big power Class D amp with KEF ls50s in exact same place before.  

Some of my thoughts:

The Exogal dac never got to play as preamp direct into amp in past - seems to really enjoy this elevated role direct to the Decware amp.

cabling might be really important with this increased sensitivity

I really like the UFO - in fact will think about the 25th anniversary in future

I have some really good gear sitting on sidelines - over next month will rotate some of that through.  Especially my much loved Lampizator dac that doesnt do upsampling or volume control but just always sounds great.

Will be curious how a higher power amp will play with the Lii F15s - have been curious about something like the Schiit Aegir.

going to order one of SE 274bs rectifier

Speakers only have about 100 hours, played at pretty low volumes - they seem to be great low volume speaker.  Will have to crank some Chieftans Christmas music soon.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #65 - 12/15/19 at 18:12:04

I thought it might be helpful to share some suggestions based on advanced listening observations of the Lii Audio F15 speakers. Suffice to say this open baffle speaker and Steve's offerings have simply been revelatory.

Suggestion One: My 13.5' x 15.5' listening room had some limited Eighth Nerve room treatments prior to purchasing a pair of open baffle speakers. The room worked fine with my Omega SAHO XRS box speakers, which have a rear firing back port. The Lii Audio F15's really benefited from a set of good diffuser panels.

I used a set of 4 Pi Audio Group 2'x4' high density foam diffusers to start. One set placed directly behind the speakers and the other centered on the rear wall behind the speakers. I played around with several positions of the panels, this worked best in my room. The result was a super clean sound from my system, along with pin point voice and instrument placement with the expanded listening soundstage.

The diffusers seem to reduce/eliminate time smearing from the OB speakers. Diffusers made such a huge difference, I ordered a second set as previously recommended by Lonely Raven.

Suggestion Two: This morning I inserted a Pi Audio Group uberBUSS power conditioner. I seasoned it for 10 days with various appliances plugged in per recommendation of Dave Elledge (Pi Audio Group guru). All of my source equipment is plugged into the uberBUSS now. While the new power conditioner caps are not yet fully seasoned, I experienced the most enjoyable Holy Crap listening session of my life this morning. It's pretty amazing what room treatments and power conditioning improvements bring to a system and listening room.

My system sound quality now rivals what I heard at this years Decfest. With the possible exception of an upgraded turntable and phono preamp, I have reached that seemingly unobtainable level of listening pleasure that I really never thought possible. The level of true audio Zen.

Thanks to Steve, Randy, and so many Decware forum posters for the invaluable advice and guidance along my journey.  It's been an incredible ride and most enjoyable hobby pursuit for sure.

Enjoy the journey my friends. Hoping you all find your audio Zen moments.

HK

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #66 - 12/15/19 at 18:50:06

Hock, can you post a picture showing the speakers and diffuser panels?

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #67 - 12/16/19 at 00:01:01

Archie,

Here you go. I plan on mounting the panels above the floorboard when my 2nd set comes this week.

HK

IMG_20191215_162019_compress87.jpg

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #68 - 12/16/19 at 00:57:51

Thanks!  I was curious to see the set up since I've always maintained that I couldn't pull off treatment in my space.  I could possibly do some of what you've done but not in the center.

BTW, love the garden hose powering the ZMA!   Cheesy    Do the pucks under the ICs and speaker cables do much for the sound?  I could imagine static charge in the carpet.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #69 - 12/16/19 at 01:24:43

Hockey pucks under the IC's and speaker cables??? Who knows Grin

HK

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #70 - 12/17/19 at 15:21:21

Thanks for sharing, HK .....

Here is a smaller photo of the HockessinKid listening room that doesn't require scrolling .....

For a fact, diffusers work very well with open baffle loudspeakers.

I have a section of panels on the front wall of my listening room and am very happy with the sound.
These panels were originally found on the original Decware forum many years ago. I built them from plans that were provided (and no longer available, unfortunately) and they are perfect for my room.

Happy listening,
Randy

WWW   IP Logged
OB nubie
Verified Member

Reply #71 - 05/04/21 at 21:58:00

hello folks

5 weeks ago i didn't know open baffle speakers could sound good.  today i just finished building my first set using the F15 drivers.  they are pretty weird looking and have removable wings for tuning.  the drivers are sandwiched between the two panels using surgical tubing for isolation.  i just joined and have no clue how to attach a picture.

thanks to all for the inspiration

m

IP Logged
OB nubie
Verified Member

Reply #72 - 05/04/21 at 22:03:40

ok just found the browse button

f15_wwo_wings.jpg
  IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #73 - 05/05/21 at 01:28:41

Hi OB nubie,

Very cool .....

When i first started building open baffles, it seemed that every week there was something new.

Your baffles reminded me of one of my projects .....

Larger photos here and here.

Happy listening,
Randy in Caintuck

WWW   IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #74 - 05/05/21 at 05:14:46

OB nubie picture from above:

IP Logged
OB nubie
Verified Member

Reply #75 - 05/05/21 at 12:16:24

Randy, did you find better bass coupling with woofs closer to the floor?
Lin, thank you for "right sizing" my pic.  i wasn't sure how to do that

OB

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #76 - 05/05/21 at 16:54:42

Hi OB,

Yes ..... it has been my experience that the closer a driver is to any room boundary (including the floor), the coupling effect is increased.

The low frequency output can actually be "tuned" by changing the distance between the driver and the floor.

Best wishes,
Randy

WWW   IP Logged
OB nubie
Verified Member

Reply #77 - 05/05/21 at 19:33:22

i really appreciate the wealth of knowledge that is here and i hope i don't try your patience with my questions.  what sort of music (or noise) is best suited to the break-in period and at what volume.  is there anything i should avoid doing for the first 40 hours or so?

i'm attaching a pic of the rear of the baffle showing the 4" side wings.  i'm compressing it this time....

thx

f15_rear.jpg
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #78 - 05/05/21 at 20:09:26

OB nubie,

Play your music to your liking. Avoid noise pink, white, or generated tones. Don't be critical until it gets some hours and always give 20 or so minutes of warm-up before serious listening.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Reply #79 - 05/06/21 at 00:46:12

The low frequency output can actually be "tuned" by changing the distance between the driver and the floor.

You can also tune the bass a little by toe-in, i.e. pointing the back wave more towards the corners.

Acer Laptop, Curious USB cable, Holo Audio May L2 DAC, ZRock 2, SE84UFO25, Fast 15 Network, Caintuck Audio Fast 15, Decware DSR3S/DHC2/ZFOCUS cables, Swiss Digital Fuse Boxes, Cryotone tubes (5AR4-WC, EL84-WC X 2, ECC88-WC, 0A3-WC X 2, 0D3-WC, 12AU7-WCL)
  IP Logged
OB nubie
Verified Member

Reply #80 - 05/09/21 at 22:17:06

hoping folks can give me a bit of advice.  i'm still waiting for my F15's to break in before i move them upstairs to my main listening room.  currently i have my old Mirage M1's doing HT and stereo duty and will retire them to HT once F15's move up.  currently ii have a Mirage BPS 400 sub that although i've heard well reviewed i cannot get them to sound correct in my room.  either not enough bass or too boomy.  anyway they will have to go once the OB's are placed.  thoughts? experience.  sure would like to keep under $1200 or so.  given i have possible room issues (although i have tons of acoustic foam behind and in corners...) should i consider 2 small subs?  room is 14 x 21 x 8.

tempted to do the GR research dual OB subs or should i go with maybe 2 HSU VTF-2's.  i like the idea of the servo control but have no experience.  i also have a M&K thx 350 in basement room.

last thing is sub should work for both music and HT

any and all thought and suggestions most welcome

IP Logged
Ahb3u
Verified Member

Reply #81 - 03/15/22 at 22:10:57

Hi Randy
I wonder what the magnum style adds to the baffle for the Lii 15?  Sound wise as well as portability wise?  Thanks. I think I may order the L15 unless you guys like something else for the Se84ufo25 I have coming now.
Thank you!
Andy

EtherRegen/AfterDark Double Emperor clock> Innuos Zenith SE> Phoenix USB reclocker>Modwright Oppo205 and TD125>VosneRomanee>SE84ufo25> Caintuck Magnum Lii F15, Rel S510, Townshend Supertweeters and vibration control; Sound Application SA-XE Line power conditioner
  IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #82 - 03/16/22 at 18:27:10

Hi Andy,

I have done an A/B comparison in my room with the F-15 drivers in the original 7/8" thick baffles and the 1 1/2" thick Magnum baffles.

The Magnum baffles have better focus and low level detail ..... as well as a more robust lower midrange and upper bass response.

As you might imagine, the Magnum baffles are quite a bit heavier than the original baffles, but are still easy to move using the rear mounted convenience handles.

Best wishes,
Randy

WWW   IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #83 - 03/19/22 at 13:15:57

+1 on the magnum baffles for the UFO25th that you have coming.  That is what I have and an excellent combo.  Very easy to move around for a >60yr old guy.
Bob

Omega SAMS,Altec 604C in O/B,UFO25th/Cary SET Monos/Torii Jr,CSP3 25th Holo May KTE ,HQP/USB/Pulse/EtherRegen, Roon/Thorens 1600(Decware ICs, speaker wires/Equi=Core 1800)
Caintuck Lii 15s, T6s, CSP3 25tt , Elekit 8900,IFI Zen Stream, Pontus I
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print