Send Topic Print
Unique cable search (Read 481 times)
Riki Steven 1968
Verified Member

Unique cable search
07/12/19 at 16:42:42

Greetings, colleagues.

I have a unique situation (I think). And I need HELP! 😊

So a few years ago, I commissioned a luthier (in Ireland) to build me my dream-guitar. It is a double-neck acoustic-electric, hand-made from Carbon Fiber. The guitar sports two 6-string necks, each tuned differently. The idea was to have an instrument that (ergonomically) allowed me to play either tuning, without stopping to ‘change guitars, or stop to re-tune a single guitar.

Originally, I ordered the guitar to not feature a microphone-supplemented pickup. This is because in the past, I always seemed to be cursed with on-stage feedback (when playing with others, amps, PA’s, drums, etc). So, I reasoned to go with Piezo pickups, only. I decided on installing two Dtar Wavelength 18v pickups (Seymour Duncan+Rick Turner design). So each neck has a piezo pickup (under the saddle) and thus, the guitar has two 1/4” TS connectors (on the side).

But her is the kicker. Later on, by accident, I acquired two small “overhead/choir mini condenser microphones” (phantom powered). These mics are the size of a pinky-finger. One day,, I dropped the mics inside my carbon Fiber guitar body. And after tinkering a bit with placement, levels, compression and EQ, I was caught by surprise by the tone and resolution I had stumbled upon.  The mics now capturing an extended image with more sustain. Perhaps they might not work best for live use. But at least in a studio environment, the mics gave me something desirable (and convenient).  

So it got me thinking about the output section of the guitar; Needing two unbalanced outs (for the piezos) and two balanced outs (mini XLR), for the mics.  I don’t wish for a ‘spaghetti-mess of cables, feeding to amps or mixers (yuck)! I would like a manageable cord solution that preserves as much signal as possible. I am searching for a guitar snake, of which is not heavy and inflexible. Is Neutrik the better option for connectors?

Love to hear your ideas😊, please comment!

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Re: Unique cable search
Reply #1 - 07/12/19 at 17:09:55

Get in touch with Grover Huffman, and let him know what you need. He’s the best!  http://www.groverhuffman.com

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #2 - 07/13/19 at 00:58:23

Ghent Audio (https://www.ghentaudio.com) is a great resource for custom made cables.  If you are looking for a cost effective cable made with excellent components and great craftsmanship, he won't disappoint.  I have ordered several odd-ball cables from him and have never been disappointed.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Riki Steven 1968
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 07/31/19 at 23:09:48

Hey all, I am back!

I recorded 2 takes within each download A/B  C/D and E/F.  Out of these takes, please tell me which ones offer the least coloration of the acoustic guitar.  Example; preferred the first take A out of the A/B, and so on.

wetransfer.com/downloads/72585ac546f947015daf5ddd08d2d62920190731003416/7d7d6df9
7ba3e12da7ac023ef4c6a1e020190731003416/ed4071

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print