Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 16:15:04 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
General Support Question (Read 2425 times)
Reptar

General Support Question
07/08/19 at 14:20:58

Hi all - need an opinion. I ordered a Zrock2 to use with my SE84UFO (that I absolutely love!). I ordered the Zrock2 with the Cap II upgrade and the tube voltage regulator.

Question 1:
Any opinions/thoughts on the tube voltage regulator making the unit less reliable? The driver tube is exposed and I can replace/roll it myself. I am assuming that the regulator tube is located inside the unit and not accessible by me.

Question 2:
Any experience on the tube voltage regulator affect on the sound quality? Does it make a big difference? With regard to question 1, if it doesn't help that much with the sound and it makes the unit less reliable I am wondering if I should get it???

I am extremely impressed with the build quality and sound of my SE84UFO, and the company/staff itself!

I certainly don't want to offend anyone at the company or in this forum (apologies in advance if I have), these are just some rambling thoughts I am having while I am waiting for the delivery of my Zrock2.

Any thoughts/opinions appreciated.

Regards

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: General Support Question
Reply #1 - 07/08/19 at 15:00:36

I've never found a voltage regulation tube or its implementation in a Decware component to be unreliable. I wouldn't worry about that. I haven't opened up my ZROCK2 with this modification but I believe it is wired into the circuit and has a very very very long life--I wouldn't expect it to offer anything but a sonic benefit.

As for the sonic improvement. . . I have two ZROCK2s, both with the Cap II upgrade, one "original gangster" with no Anniversary mods or voltage tube mod. the other with the Anniversary cap mods and the voltage regulation tube mod. I love them both, but the latter has a clarity and dynamic contrast that is a step above. I haven't heard a ZROCK2 with just the cap mod and not the voltage regulation, but I would advise going forward with the full mod as the sound is really something. With one large caveat: it took me nearly a month to settle totally into the sound and be gob-smacked, this is definitely a component that goes through a number of changes during "break-in." Or at least that is my experience.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Reptar

Reply #2 - 07/08/19 at 22:00:56

Hi Lon - thanks for the support and encouragement. I will leave things the way they are.

Steve must offer this option for a reason and I'm sure he considered reliability which is why I was hesitant to ask. You are right, the Tube Voltage Regulator option is there for a reason. I'm going to try it out! I trust that it will sound awesome.

All the best!

Regards

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 07/08/19 at 23:34:14

You're welcome. Now comes the hard part, the wait. . . .

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print