Send Topic Print
How much? (Read 691 times)
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

How much?
07/05/19 at 22:23:08

OK, I think that it is time to broach the subject of money.
Like how much are you willing to pay for a amplifier or a pair of speakers?
I see people modifying their Decware amplifiers with exotic parts and ideas. What if they came that way from the start?
How about speakers with $500 drivers and $250 capacitors?

So how much would you be willing to pay for a ultra, super duty version of a  Zen, something that blows the 25th Anniversary out of the water?
I'm thinking that some would pay a bit more than what is currently the norm.
For some reason the Monos never seemed like they caught on, maybe I'm wrong on my impression on that
I know that Decware started out as a budget HiFi company but now has expanded upwards. Have they went too far, or not far enough?
So is a $5000 amplifier too much, or maybe $7500?
I'd personally do $5K and think long and hard over that, speakers maybe $10K if I could really hear the difference.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Re: How much?
Reply #1 - 07/05/19 at 22:47:06

Donnie,
It’ll be interesting to see some responses on that one.
If I could swing it, I’d go for Monos, but I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t let my Torii MKIV go, so it would be a pretty expensive proposal for me to head that way, but I’d  certainly have a leg up on that second system. Smiley
Best,
Scott

TORII MKIV-25th,ZBIT,ZROCK2-25th,ZTPRE-25th,ZLC,DNA2's, REL S/3 SHO
MyTek Brooklyn DAC+,Sonore ultraRendu LinearPS,sonicTransport APi7 4TB
Woo WA6, Sennheiser HD660s
RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 07/05/19 at 22:53:31

I paid 3,000 or so for my 25th Anniversary Monoblocks . . . and that was about my limit, and honestly I don't think these need exotic improvements, they sound GREAT and they allow me to really enjoy my music and . . . they work so well with my HR-1s which were over 5,000 and my digital front end which was a bit more.

I just don't see that I could ever spend more than I have, and boy am I happy.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 07/05/19 at 22:55:36

PS: Scott, I never thought I would sell my Torris, but I sold them and kept the Monoblocks and the Taboo Mk IV with the 25th Anniversary mods in their place. Those little 6P15-EV tubes and the circuits Steve puts them in just plain outdo the Torii, even with HR-1s. Just saying what we'll "never do" may turn out to be what we'll do.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 07/06/19 at 00:02:28

When I retired 4 years ago, I decided to put together an ultimate system (for me) - ZMA amp, CSP3 preamp, ZDAC, Lonely Raven PC and Omega SAHO XR speakers, I already had a nice vinyl set up. I skimped and saved a lot during my working years, so it was time to really enjoy the music. Sure it was a major investment, but my system, dedicated listening room and album collection bring me such joy.

What's special about Decware? You can put together a kichass system Zen amp, Betsy OB speakers (or equivalent) and a decent source for under $2 grand. Even less if you buy used.

25th Anniversary modifications add another layer of expense for those who want to upgrade, but I found the sonic improvement well worth the cost. The system sounds so great, maybe I will upgrade my turntable now😊. Yes, I have the disease.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 07/06/19 at 00:07:34

Hey Lon, I hear you...
Never say never, I am however referring to these monos:

E9AD768B-41D6-4732-8247-9A394EACDDE5.jpeg

TORII MKIV-25th,ZBIT,ZROCK2-25th,ZTPRE-25th,ZLC,DNA2's, REL S/3 SHO
MyTek Brooklyn DAC+,Sonore ultraRendu LinearPS,sonicTransport APi7 4TB
Woo WA6, Sennheiser HD660s
RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 07/06/19 at 00:11:10

For me it's been incremental.  I never would have shelled out the $20K+ I have invested in one hunk.  Steve is a master manipulator (said with love).  He has contagious enthusiasm and I got sucked in!

BTW, I've been watching a ZMA on eBay that's now at $4K.  Someone ought to jump on that.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
dvl

Reply #7 - 07/06/19 at 03:08:50

For me it's about perceived value. Long ago, in a galaxy far away, i bought Cary Monoblocks that retailed for 15k, for 7.5k. Got a great deal and they were very nice amps. Enjoyed them a lot. Now i have a Torii Jr. with anniversary mods, which amounts to about 3k. i got one of the first ones (#9) so got it below what it cost now. i think the Jr. i have now is a better bargain than those monoblocks at half price, so today i would not spend 7.5k for amps like that. If Steve came up with an amp that "blew away" what he's building now and it cost 7.5K, i'd seriously think about it. It would greatly depend on the speakers i had at the time.

Four years ago i bought a ZP3 for 1295. Loved it, thought it was one of the great bargains in high end audio. A few years later, i came across a Herron VTPH-2A that retails for almost 3 times what i paid for ZP3. i didn't pay retail, got a great deal on it so i bought it and sold the ZP3. i paid about double the price of the ZP3, it is a better phono stage. It should be at that cost. The point being i was willing to pay it.

i inherited some money a couple of years ago from my music-loving mother. i gave some to my boys then used the rest on a new turntable. Bought a VPI Aries 3D for 5k. Saw it retailing for 9k, so feel like i got another deal. But it was still 5k and i was willing to pay it!

Speakers are another thing. i've been patiently waiting for my last pair. Have not found them yet. Right now i am still enjoying my Monoliths, which are not the most revealing, but do so many other things well. i think i'd pay 6-8k for a pair that i liked.

David

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print