Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 21:54:04 

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 32
Send Topic Print
Steve's BIG BETSY Project (Read 149367 times)
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Re: Steve's BIG BETSY Project
Reply #600 - 08/21/19 at 17:02:11

Last night, I played around with the sub and super tweeter.  Some help on both ends.  Overall, the sub impact was bigger than the ST from just what I heard.  Interesting how the ST has an impact below 10Khz.  1/24th octave smoothing.

I don't know what that dip at 40hz is about.  I'll play with phase.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #601 - 08/21/19 at 19:41:34

Nice Archie! Much nicer than than the sandbags I plan on using Embarrassed

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #602 - 08/21/19 at 20:28:24

Thanks Geno.  I don't know the exact theory behind the base mass but I get the idea that stiffness might be most important and mass second.  A heavy (stiff) bar across the bottom of your baffles might do more than just sand bags.  The stiffener was something I missed that both Randy and Steve have in their baffles.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #603 - 08/23/19 at 22:13:02

Steve,

Any tips for painting the drivers?  I am more interested in coloring the foam on the front than the back basket.

Also, how do you feel about your figures given for the HP versus torque between the F15 and Crystal 10.  Were those proportions about right?

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #604 - 08/23/19 at 22:55:20

How about a Sharpie?

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #605 - 08/23/19 at 22:56:45

Thought of that but it can be uneven.  Maybe if you go over it a few times.

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #606 - 08/24/19 at 00:46:01

Hey Pal,

I've been thinking about doing the same thing. The F15 driver on the Lii Audio website shows a black surround, but when mine came, they had gray surrounds. I'm planning on doing white oak baffles with a walnut stain, so gray doesn't really work for me. I wrote to Lii Audio asking for suggestions, but unsurprisingly, got no answer. I could mount them from the rear, I suppose, like Steve did with the BBJ, so that they don't show, but that really wasn't what I had in mind. I guess if a guy was careful enough with masking, an oil-based spray primer with a flat black paint over it would work, as the surrounds appear to be made out of a paper product. Maybe Steve can chime in with some advice, as I've never tried to paint a cone or a surround. I'm also thinking that a black wizzer cone would suit me better than the white cone, but I'm not sure if that would affect the sound. I don't see how it would, but as I said, I have no experience with it.

Randy

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #607 - 08/24/19 at 00:59:42

I don't think painting the cones would be a good idea at all.  Paint would change the mass and stiffness and therefore the sound.  Or am I misunderstanding?

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #608 - 08/24/19 at 02:21:19

Hey Archie,

The cone that I'm talking about is the small white one just around the phase plug. But you could be right about changing the mass/stiffness. I suppose everything matters when you get to drivers this precise. Maybe a stain wouldn't alter the sound? Dunno. Probably wouldn't alter the stiffness like paint would, but it probably would add some mass. Decisions, decisions. Aesthetics matter, but sound matters more. Maybe I'll only listen when it's dark, and call it good.  

Randy

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #609 - 08/24/19 at 04:08:10

Quote:
Steve,

Any tips for painting the drivers?  I am more interested in coloring the foam on the front than the back basket.

Also, how do you feel about your figures given for the HP versus torque between the F15 and Crystal 10.  Were those proportions about right?

Now that I am going back and forth using digital playlists floating around hyperspace, I find that the analogy was pretty dead on. With a ZROCK on the Crystal 10, the torque figure goes up.  Still at the track it's the classic big block vs. small block experience.

I find that I listen to the Big Betsy F15 with the ZROCK2 off most of the time. I find that I listen to the Big Betsy Jr. Crystal 10 with the ZROCK2 on most of the time.

The Big Betsy with the F15 and no ZROCK2, has considerably MORE hit and weight than the Big Betsy Jr. with the Crystal 10 and a ZROCK2.

I think between the two we have a nice compromise going, a pretty even handed tradeoff that achieves its original design intent. I find myself flip-flopping between the two. Tonight it's clearly the Big Betsy without a ZROCK2 is my favorite.  That tells me that the Big Betsy Jr. is a worthy adversary and probably just as good but in different ways.

It will be interesting to get peoples impressions during DECFEST2019.  I know one thing...  Randy is going to get tired of hearing people refer to the Betsy baffles as the "baby ones" or the "tiny ones" but will have no issues keeping face throughout the event when the "baby ones" sound big and the cost is small.  

When I first listened to the Big Betsy I felt some panic thinking ahead to what these will do to not only Randy's speakers, but Bob's and all of my own. Sadly for Bob and myself, there is probably no silver lining to that cloud, but for Randy, having the same thing with both the size and price scaled down is going to be very appealing to a lot of people.

As far as painting the drivers... which ones are you referring to?

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #610 - 08/24/19 at 04:18:08

Quote:
Hey Pal,
I've been thinking about doing the same thing. The F15 driver on the Lii Audio website shows a black surround, but when mine came, they had gray surrounds.

I wondered what the hell you were talking about, because I kept thinking "they are black, why would you want to color them?"

Best way is going to be to use an air brush. Acrylic satin black for the paint. You don't want to brush anything on it because it will add mass to the surround.

Spray paint in a can can be used if you're a REAL pro with using spray cans... otherwise it will be far worse than brushing, possibly building up to the point of ruining the sound.  The paint would be Krylon Barbecue Grill high heat paint.

The vast majority of people I've seen operate a spray can will ruin the drivers.  People who paint cars and use the spray can with fan tip in the same way can pull it off.

Another possibility might be water based dye, black of course, but if the dope on the surround is waterproof, and it probably is, this is going to fail big time.

I would think sneaking up on it with an air brush spraying far more air than paint, is a safe secure and controlled method for getting perfect results.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #611 - 08/24/19 at 04:28:27

A stationary store ought to be able to sell you a bottle of India Ink and a small sable brush. I would think ink would add far less mass and stiffness than would any type of paint.

Brian

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #612 - 08/24/19 at 04:44:08

BIG BETSY LISTENING SESSION

So tonight I'm listening to the Big Betsys without a ZROCK2 because it's not really needed with these speakers, only with certain really lifeless recordings from the 60's rock era.

Tonights inspiration comes from Santana, a track called Los Invisibles on the Album Africa Speaks.

I have listened to this track come up many times on all our speakers and the BBJ baffles. Tonight is the only time it sounded right. Tonight it sounds like I'm in Africa at a small outdoor club with a nice tight band. The bass player is really tight.  The music is unmistakingly live because it has the HIT and the big growl that you NEVER hear from your stereo...

Holy crap I'm listening to a 2 watt Zen Triode amplifier... this is impossible!  No EQ, No power, No LP, No Tape, just streaming Santana live into my room.  

Now every other time I've heard this track, I've thought 'yea, boy that's some really good music, but it's too bad the sound is so faded out, and lean because we know what it could sound like. Enter Big Betsy... want to know what something sounds like, turns out it's not headphones, it's Big Betsy Baffles.

This is what is so frustrating and seductive about the hobby. You listen to a Santana CD and it almost sounded good. You invite them to your house and have them play out in the back yard, and it DID sound good.  The Big Betsy Baffles are taking EVERYTHING to this next level. Not sure how it does it either, especially without manipulation or EQ, all you have to do is turn it up to a pleasant room filling volume and WOW.... especially when the bass notes drop and the texture of the bass just dominates the space in such a forcibly undeniable way. Kind of like when an F15 takes a hard straight up turn and your stomach is in your throat. Senses are supercharged.

I should also mention that last night I had a listening appointment!  It ended with one song on the Big Betsy Baffles and the gentleman and his son heard what they came for and left to go home and build a pair. That will be fun to follow up on.

I have been watching people listen to speakers they've never heard before for over 25 years. You could say I do it professionally. I have never seen a pair of speakers get these kinds of consistent and instantaneous reactions, ever.  In fact I can remember countless nights of listening to speakers A and speakers B over and over and over and over and over trying to pick the best one.  So far all four times I've demonstrated the speakers it only took one or two songs and the decision was made.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #613 - 08/24/19 at 06:04:08

Hey Brian,

Thanks for the suggestion. Sounds like a winner - especially since I don't have a paint spray rig.

Randy

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #614 - 08/24/19 at 06:15:43

Steve wrote .....

Quote:
It will be interesting to get peoples impressions during DECFEST2019.  I know one thing...  Randy is going to get tired of hearing people refer to the Betsy baffles as the "baby ones" or the "tiny ones" but will have no issues keeping face throughout the event when the "baby ones" sound big and the cost is small.  

When I first listened to the Big Betsy I felt some panic thinking ahead to what these will do to not only Randy's speakers, but Bob's and all of my own. Sadly for Bob and myself, there is probably no silver lining to that cloud, but for Randy, having the same thing with both the size and price scaled down is going to be very appealing to a lot of people.

Hi Steve,

I am really looking forward to hearing your creations in October.
In between building and shipping speakers over the past few days, I have spent several hours listening to music in my "audio he shed" switching back and forth between the Betsy baffles and the new baffles with the Lii F-15 driver.

Truthfully, they are both so good in different ways that it seems like an "embarrassment of riches" to have both of them in the same room .....

As I mentioned in the "Sacrilege" thread in the Betsy Open Baffle forum, I have a "tiny" inexpensive powered subwoofer sitting in the left front corner of the room.
It's so small that it hides behind the left baffle and is not even visible ..... but when I turn it on there is no lack of low bass, and integrating it to the point of making it "seamless" was pretty easy using the crossover and volume controls.

I fully expect that Decware Fest 2019 will result in three things .....

1 - Folks with the DIY spirit and a woodworking shop will be building big baffles.
2 - Decware Audio will have a ready market for whatever you and Bob decide to offer to the public.
3 - I will continue to stay as busy as I want to be offering Betsy baffles and Lii 15 baffles to music lovers who appreciate killer sound at a reasonable price .....

Oh yeah ..... there is a #4 .....
Many orders for Decware Audio 2 watt amplifiers .....

41 days and counting .....

Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #615 - 08/24/19 at 08:31:25

It's 2:26 A.M. and I just can't tear myself away from this sound. It is so incredible that literally nothing I have ever heard does what this does.  How does it do it?   I just teased it with a ZROCK2 and almost pissed myself. It can give it a lot more presence than bass if you dial it in right. These speakers have really made my life!  I really can't wait 41 days to let you hear it.  You and Bob are going to need to come early so you can get your sht together before people start to show up! This is going to wreck you. Then you have to recover. Then you have to figure out how to help others through it. I'm not kidding.

Note the time. If anyone during the fest finds themselves listening at this hour, you will realize why I don't get a lot of sleep.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Nixxuz
Verified Member

Reply #616 - 08/24/19 at 13:42:41

So I asked in another thread if the F15's were going to measure up to the Dayton PS220-8's I've been using. I guess they do. Let's just hope they are still on sale in a few weeks!

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #617 - 08/24/19 at 18:38:10

Quote:
Maybe I'll only listen when it's dark, and call it good.

My eyes are usually closed when listening these days.   Smiley

I assume the small cone is where the mids and highs are coming from.  I wouldn't mess with perfection.  Painting the frame is another thing entirely.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #618 - 08/24/19 at 19:14:58

Probable should be added to the sacrilege thread...

Magnetic attached grills would be a better solution than painting the driver I would think.  Maybe an inverted gravestone shape that's easily replaceable after a listening session.

Planet 10 offers enabled drivers that are painted with a pattern to enhance the sound.  https://www.planet10-hifi.com/index.html

Altering the driver's moving parts in any way could change the sound by restricting movement just like breaking the driver in changes the sound.

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #619 - 08/24/19 at 19:23:02

Sorry if I was unclear.  I really only want to paint the grey foam that is on the basket in the front to seal the driver in a rear mount situation.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #620 - 08/24/19 at 20:16:54

Pal, have you considered replacing the foam with black foam?  This stuff looks mass produced.  I think it will peel off.  I was serious about using a Sharpie.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #621 - 08/25/19 at 02:19:30

Pal, sorry I miss understood.  Yea, the gasket and frame is easy.  Just tape it off and use the black Krylon paint.  Mine were gray also.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #622 - 08/25/19 at 04:11:18

Bottlehead,
Ha! I said something useful. I love when that happens.  

Brian

IP Logged
Andy P
Verified Member

Reply #623 - 08/26/19 at 02:40:41

Quote:
I should also mention that last night I had a listening appointment!  It ended with one song on the Big Betsy Baffles and the gentleman and his son heard what they came for and left to go home and build a pair. That will be fun to follow up on.

Thank you, Steve, for meeting with us on short notice. It was really a blast to meet you and see your "sandbox" It is so exciting to find people who have a passion and go all-in on it!  Thank you for how generous you are with your ideas.

Yes, the sound of the Big Betsys with the Lii Audio 15" driver was a show stopper. I want to hear a lot more of that.  It really brought to my mind an old console cabinet from the 50's or 60's. Just had something to it that I am sure you can only get from a 15" speaker.

I ordered the drivers and am thinking about the wood.

I actually was dreaming about selecting the wood for these last night!

Here are a few questions that I have:

1. How critical is the size of the baffle? If I made it 29 1/2. Is there a way to calculate any of this or is it by feel and testing.  Any way to know what would be the minimum size before the sound would be compromised. I really don't know the science around the open baffle concept.

2.  I was eying an Ikea Gretton table top, beech.  1 1/4 think. any thoughts on this material.

3.  I found bowling alley material, very reasonably priced, I am thinking this would be a great way to go.  42" wide, 2" thick maple.  Is there any reason this would not be awesome? This is my first choice and would get me to working speakers the quickest.

Any input is appreciated. I will post my progress as well.  Thanks

bowling_alley_lane.jpg
  IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #624 - 08/26/19 at 13:16:58

Bowling Alley Wood:

I checked some out locally that was on Craigs list.  I was expecting something like what you have pictured.  What it turned out to be had no finish (oil I guess), was being stored outdoors, and had become delaminated so it was nothing more than a bunch of narrow strips.  I came away with the thought that maybe the 42" wide alley isn't glued together at all, but rather "floats".  Don't know if that's right or wrong, but I'd sure check that its glued together solidly, as much as possible.

Dan

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #625 - 08/26/19 at 15:26:31

My advice would be to duplicate Steve's dimensions and general build.  I do think there is play in all factors but you won't be sure which to fudge on and which to not.  Go heavy and dense on the wood.  I'm not sure what beech specs are but I used hard maple (1 1/2") and am satisfied.  However, if I built from scratch I'd use 8/4 hickory.  I still think buying countertop blanks isn't a bad way to go.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #626 - 08/26/19 at 17:14:15

I'd agree with Archie.  Go with what Steve did if you can.  

Although, I am pretty happy with my oak stair tread baffles, I am left wondering what I am giving up.  I hope to understand what I am missing at Decfest and will update the thread.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #627 - 08/27/19 at 03:31:59

The completed Crystal 10’s. Taking them for a test drive. They are really good right out of the box. I’m starting out using the same supplemental bass that Ive been using with my Lil’ Betsy Alnico’s. Time will tell if I can do without that.

I started out with a hickory colored stain, but with the Birch wood, it just didn’t look good. So I ended up with black. I like the way the driver pops against the black. I also just left the silver lag bolt heads and washers exposed for the same reason.

B2F233F7-55BA-451E-9003-B439F7F45DD7.jpeg

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #628 - 08/27/19 at 03:33:11

Another photo.

3EBBE2A5-6904-4842-888F-53788358D701.jpeg

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #629 - 08/27/19 at 05:44:58

Hey Geno,

Looks good! How thick are your baffles?

Randy

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #630 - 08/27/19 at 12:51:27

Hi Randy. They are 25 x 32 x 1 1/2.  15” wide top and bottom.

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #631 - 08/27/19 at 13:56:42

One part of the build that was most difficult for me was cutting the second arc on the baffle.  For the first arc, it was easy to keep everything square because the opposite side of the cut is square.  When you flip it and try to cut the other side, you don't have a square edge to keep your material in place.

Anybody got any tips for people who might want to make these baffles?

I ended up using the arched cutoff portion of the wood.  It didn't quite fit but I wedged them in between the board where my jig was anchored and the material.  They made enough contact to allow a stable cut.

I didn't clamp the baffle for this cut because I didn't want to hit it when I swung my arc with the router/jig.  Maybe you guys had room to do this.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #632 - 08/27/19 at 16:05:53

Although I didn't cut my arcs with a router, I figure that the baffle would need to be attached to a sub table that had the router pivot.  The top and bottom straights could also be used to register the piece.  I did have center lines drawn on my blanks which helped align things.

For me, set up and jig making was 75% of the project.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #633 - 08/27/19 at 16:24:31

I must have swung that arc, measured and re-set my jig about 10 times before I felt confident enough to turn on the router.  

It turned out my fixed jig hole was off slightly which was causing the router blade to not hit the exact same point at the top and bottom of the arc.  But once I got it right, it worked well for all four cuts except what I mentioned in the post above.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #634 - 08/27/19 at 17:18:06

Just spitballing here. Could you attach the piece to be cut to another piece of material under it. Find center of your piece to be cut and lay out the center points of the arcs on ether side of the part and swing them from there?
Double sided tape would be your friend there, or mount the pieces together where the driver cutout would be.
I got ideas!

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #635 - 08/27/19 at 21:07:51

Now after I have thought about it some more I would also make myself up some bump stops so that the second piece would go right where the first piece was. That would save yourself a lot of time finding center again.
A couple of dowels that you could remove on either the right or left side and one on the Y at the top. Easy peasy.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #636 - 08/27/19 at 21:45:45

Both worth considering Donnie.  I pretty much got lucky that I didn't screw it up.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #637 - 08/28/19 at 01:58:36

After doing the first pair of radius by pairing up a centerline and with no more than spray adhesive to hold down the baffle and pivot board... which btw worked fine on the big betsy because it was so heavy. On this one I felt it start to move, so I thanked the wood shop Gods for not shoving that one up my ass and made the following correction:

On the second baffle, I put down a piece of plywood (instead of foam) and screwed the pivot board to it. Then I used the square hole in the baffle and made a square plug the exact same size and screwed that to the plywood also. That was the ticket. Just drop the baffle onto the square plug and cut. Then flip it over and cut again.

Also looking at this picture it reminds me that this is not the job for a consumer grade plunge router, or plunge router of any type in my opinion. Too much flex in the router base itself to make a clean cut like this.

I got lucky with this vintage PC router, one of the last ones made in the USA before moving the plant to Mexico. The cast base is so rigid that you could shoot it through the hull of a battleship and expect it to be intact. In contrast, the cheap plunge router from Menards started to melt from the profanity the first time I tried to use it. Then it was used by a non-terrestrial (attracted by the profanity) who couldn't resist the opportunity to make it drill a hole through my project and table top. That of course started another round of profanity, so he invited his friends and they all fed off the dark energy until I got wise to it.

I know that was more information about the router than was needed but I learned how to get off topic like that from Bob... and it's completely true.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #638 - 08/28/19 at 02:13:31

Geno,

Love the room, and the tube organization : ). Baffles look good! We'll look forward to your impressions.

upload png

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #639 - 08/28/19 at 02:37:01

Thanks, Steve. Although I know I get major points taken away because I did not make the wood baffles myself...

They sound really good already😉

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #640 - 08/28/19 at 02:38:53

Quote:
Thank you, Steve, for meeting with us on short notice. It was really a blast to meet you and see your "sandbox" It is so exciting to find people who have a passion and go all-in on it!  Thank you for how generous you are with your ideas.

Yes, the sound of the Big Betsys with the Lii Audio 15" driver was a show stopper. I want to hear a lot more of that.  It really brought to my mind an old console cabinet from the 50's or 60's. Just had something to it that I am sure you can only get from a 15" speaker.

I ordered the drivers and am thinking about the wood.

I actually was dreaming about selecting the wood for these last night!

Here are a few questions that I have:

1. How critical is the size of the baffle? If I made it 29 1/2. Is there a way to calculate any of this or is it by feel and testing.  Any way to know what would be the minimum size before the sound would be compromised. I really don't know the science around the open baffle concept.

2.  I was eying an Ikea Gretton table top, beech.  1 1/4 think. any thoughts on this material.

3.  I found bowling alley material, very reasonably priced, I am thinking this would be a great way to go.  42" wide, 2" thick maple.  Is there any reason this would not be awesome? This is my first choice and would get me to working speakers the quickest.

Hi Andy,

Make it as close to the original size (or larger) as possible.

Beech is probably a good material, but my gut instinct says the thickness of the baffle is perhaps more influential than the material. I would say regarding material, that the stiffer denser woods are going to bring better high frequency response off the wood itself. And when possible, using two different kinds of wood have a very positive effect in distributing energy throughout the baffle.

The bowling ally material I would think would be awesome but some good points were made about condition. My guess is that it probably is well glued together, but it may not be an exterior grade glue.  I've seen projects made from bowling lanes that were not left outside that felt solid and looked great.

I imagine someone with a large room could find a pair of live edge slabs that were wide enough to make a pair of Big Betsy Baffles, in that case probably 3 inches thick would be ideal.

Another expensive idea is to make a pair in the same fashion as they make live edge river tables by ripping it down the center and flipping the live edges inward and filling the gap with blue tinted resin making it look like a real river running down the center.

Some examples:

There are lots of Youtube videos on making these 'river tables'.

Thanks,

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #641 - 08/28/19 at 02:52:01

Look, I can see a pair of Big Betsys right here.

If you want a Big Betsy think BIG, which is to say stop thinking about how to make it smaller.  Even in Geno's room which was just pictured, the full size baffles will work fabulously.  Ask Pal!
-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #642 - 08/28/19 at 03:38:44

I am pretty certain you will see this thread explode come DECFEST2019. When people hear the hit, and see that the large size disappears completely, and really takes no more floor space than any other speaker-- things are going to change fast. They are the most fun speaker I've ever heard and get the most music right of any speaker... which is to say that when you stream music looking for tracks that sound good on your system, these speakers will make at minimum 3 times more tracks sound good enough to favorite, than any other speaker.

The F15 drivers from Lii Audio seem to be the closest to the vintage drivers we grew up with in the 1950's and 60's.  That have that tight hit and clean live sound that was completely lost when console stereos were replaced by box speakers with smaller loose power hungry drivers.

If I had these drivers when we were building lots of the full size Jensen Imperial Horn Speakers, I'm sure it would have taken it up another notch, the driver is that good, besting even our favorite vintage stuff from JBL, ALTEC, UTAH, EV, to name a few.

Let me put it to you this way... I'll be ordering another pair of the F15 drivers as emergency spares.  I'd be devastated if one or both were destroyed and couldn't be replaced.  Small insurance policy the way I see it.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #643 - 08/28/19 at 03:47:21

Quote:
Thanks, Steve. Although I know I get major points taken away because I did not make the wood baffles myself...

I disagree. If you don't have a shop, you can't make speakers.  Also sometimes when you do have a shop, you don't have time.  No points taken away.  In fact 3 points added for achieving goal in the quickest manner for the least amount of money.  That's the way I look at it, because that's the way it is.  Also a 5th of a point for making it a full 1.5 inches thick I think is in order : )

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #644 - 08/28/19 at 05:51:00

Steve,

I have found using the right tool for the job makes a completely better experience overall. The worst for me is repairing a tool just so it can be used.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #645 - 08/28/19 at 06:11:55

Hey Geno,

Thanks for the info. 1.5" seems to be the magic number. I'm thinking that I would like to scale Randy's standard baffle up 1.5 times for the Alnico driver, with added thickness, and I think that 1.5" will be my target.

And I agree with Steve, no points deducted for finding a way to get it done without a shop/tools. I have a router, and modest woodworking skills, but I probably wouldn't be comfortable taking on this project with either. So I appreciate you and Jeff turning us all on to CraftCuts.
I see myself placing an order with them in the very near future.

Randy

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #646 - 08/28/19 at 13:04:05

Craft Cuts is highly recommended. They did a great job on the baffles. I also had them make 10” x 14” x 2” bases.

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #647 - 08/29/19 at 00:05:26

Hi Geno,

What material did you have them make the bases from ?

Thanks,
Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #648 - 08/29/19 at 01:04:30

Hey Randy,

Birch is the only option they have in wood. The only other option is MDF.
The baffles are 32” tall, which make them a bit top heavy. As is, they don’t try to tip over, but a decent bump would send them over. A heavier base would have been better, but at present I have 3 bricks on each base. That’ll do until I come up with something better. I love Archie’s shot box!

Best,

Geno

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #649 - 08/29/19 at 01:17:34

Geno, the lead shot comes in nice looking bags if you wanted to just put 25lbs on each base.  They are cloth with a plastic liner.

https://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=2314213&categoryId=0&paren...

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 32
Send Topic Print