Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/18/24 at 22:00:16 

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32
Send Topic Print
Steve's BIG BETSY Project (Read 163911 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: Steve's BIG BETSY Project
Reply #1400 - 03/30/20 at 05:17:25

OK, I have tried it on the ZF15M and the result was even more pronounced. I did a little testing back and forth tonight and when the speakers are tipped back the imaging is far better and the frequency balance is so far sounding the same.

Interestingly, I when I went from tipped-back to vertical I could hear that in the vertical position the back wave is dominant. When it is tipped the front wave becomes dominant and the focus and imaging improve dramatically. It's hard to get used to the difference because it is so much better. Even in the next room you can tell something is a lot happier in there.

Kind of embarrassed I didn't try this sooner, since it's been 28 pages ago. Truthfully, I was so completely distracted by how good these speakers sound, that it never occurred to me to change anything.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #1401 - 03/30/20 at 08:08:17

How do you think your room contributes to this revelation?

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Alex
Seasoned Member

Reply #1402 - 03/30/20 at 10:08:32

I’ve always thought speakers would give a better sound when slightly tipped or slanted upwards, especially if the speakers are low to the ground. When I’ve done for this is to use so what have done is to use IsoAcoustic speaker spikes GIAIA where I can control how much I elevate the front.

IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #1403 - 03/30/20 at 11:18:05

On the Karlson, you have 30° from vertical, the day I discovered this type of speaker, that obviously you have to built yourself, I was blown away.
That the reason why I bought the F15, not for the OB but on the way it was easier to build the OB.
The OB has not convince me so I moved to my original project.

IFI Streamer - RME_ADI2_DAC_FS - SE84_UFO-2,1 - LII_F15 in Karlsonator DIY - Decware interconnect - DIY speaker cable - Thorens TD166MKII_Grace G707+A&R p77+Schiit Mani - FirstWatt F5 - Klipsch KG3 - Rogers LS3/5A - Leak Sandwich modified - Grado SR125X modified
  IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #1404 - 03/31/20 at 03:43:17

An exciting result!

I wonder if capturing some of the back wave is indicated. Perhaps an acoustic blanket on the back of the speaker would further improve the sound.

Brian

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #1405 - 03/31/20 at 03:58:31

Hey Brian,

I think it was earlier in this thread where Steve said that he had put an acoustic blanket (like the speaker box dampener that Parts Express sells) on top of the wooden base in back of the open baffles. I tried it with my Alnico Betsys in the standard baffle, and it seemed to lower the noise floor. The character of the sound was the same, but it seemed cleaner to me. I'm planning to do the same when I build a bigger set.

Randy

IP Logged
Alex
Seasoned Member

Reply #1406 - 03/31/20 at 09:45:32

Randy, can you please post a picture showing your example?

IP Logged
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Reply #1407 - 03/31/20 at 16:48:49

When Steve first posted about tilting back his speakers, I decided to experiment on my CainTuck Audio Lii 15's. In my acoustic environment, lifting the front of my speakers approximately 3/8 of an inch produced a similar effect on my sound staging. Previously a lot of high frequency sounds would float over my head, now they become part of the image. The best I can tell is the sound stage both vertically and horizontally are equivalent but the images within the sound stage are more 3 dimensional. I can sense more subtle detail (sounds) within those spaces.

For me, the interesting thing is this extra dimensionality makes it easier to listen to the music, to be effected by the music.

Acer Laptop, Curious USB cable, Holo Audio May L2 DAC, ZRock 2, SE84UFO25, Fast 15 Network, Caintuck Audio Fast 15, Decware DSR3S/DHC2/ZFOCUS cables, Swiss Digital Fuse Boxes, Cryotone tubes (5AR4-WC, EL84-WC X 2, ECC88-WC, 0A3-WC X 2, 0D3-WC, 12AU7-WCL)
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #1408 - 03/31/20 at 16:59:09

Quote:
For me, the interesting thing is this extra dimensionality makes it easier to listen to the music, to be effected by the music.

Nailed it.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #1409 - 03/31/20 at 17:01:56

Quote:
How do you think your room contributes to this revelation?

Still not completely sure about that.  As you can see my front wall is anything but flat, I have high ceilings, and carpet.  My guess is that a similar effect will be seen in most rooms.

I have noticed that there is slightly less bass with the ZF15M tilted than when flat on the floor.  I do not notice it in the listening chair, but can notice it in the adjacent rooms.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #1410 - 03/31/20 at 17:35:20

The bass change in adjacent rooms could be a result of less structural transmittal since the base has less floor contact.  ???

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #1411 - 03/31/20 at 17:55:33

I made a pair of 7 1/2 degree wedges for my BBs that I'll try tonight.  The wedges are full width and will go under the front feet.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #1412 - 04/01/20 at 00:09:29

Here is the wedge I made if anyone else gets inspired.

IMG_2796a.jpg

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #1413 - 04/01/20 at 00:11:38

another

IMG_2795a.jpg

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #1414 - 04/01/20 at 00:15:38

Nice! How do they sound?

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #1415 - 04/01/20 at 00:45:38

I'll get back to you on that.  I haven't turned things on for my nightly listen yet.  

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #1416 - 04/01/20 at 01:20:34

Well, you guys got me curious so I put the BBs back in the system today after a long absence.  

Whenever I put them back in, I am always struck by the monstrous soundstage.  I find I can play them at lower volume because there is so much ambient sound that comes out of these vs the crystal 10s.  But, when i put them back in the system, I did notice a difference in imaging vs the Crystal 10s.  

i listened to them all day while working.  Then tonight I played with toe in and tilt.  It definitely sharpens up the imaging.  Also, with the sharpened imaging, I think that they move towards closing the perceived detail gap between drivers.

Anyway, a fun tweak and well worth the time spent.  I didn't do anything fancy, just used a board to rest the baffle on and tilt it up.  I'll continue to play with toe in.  

For me, less toe in means wider/shallower sound stage, (but larger sweet spot).  I usually trade off wide for deep.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #1417 - 04/01/20 at 05:12:44

Hey Alex,

I'd be happy to post a picture of my Betsys with the damping material on the top of the base behind the baffle, but the speakers are in Seattle, and I'm in Tucson. For who knows how much longer. This lockdown/shutdown sure plays hell with travel/relocation plans. But if you look at a standard Betsy base, and imagine this material: https://www.parts-express.com/sonic-barrier-3-4-3-layer-acoustic-sound-damping-m... cut to fit (I made cutouts for the speaker wire jacks), you'll have a pretty good idea. Pretty cheap tweak to clean up the sound.

Randy

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #1418 - 04/02/20 at 00:21:11

So, my initial assessment of tilting my BBs back Steve's 7 1/2 degrees is completely positive.  I feel like I'm hearing the BBs for the first time, again.  Huge sound and a "they are here" experience.  Soundstage seems deeper and taller.  Good/better separation.

It's an easy mod.  Try it, you'll like it.  And, thanks to Steve for his constant tweaking and innovating.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #1419 - 04/05/20 at 03:55:26

UPDATE

Because the ZF15M has also proven to sound better tilted, but is smaller, I have been able to play around with the angle more than on the big ones. Starting at 7-1/2 degrees I moved to fill the gap under the speaker so we don't loose any bass response. In the process I experimented with various thickness of risers. I came to like 3.6 inches (92mm) which in somewhat of an irony is basically a solid cherry 2x4 cut to width. So afterwards I measured the angle... it was 17 degrees. I took that as a synchronicity.  

The ZF15L is 7.5 degrees, the ZF15M is 17 degrees.

Anyway, here is a raw smart phone video of the speakers using this sophisticated riser kit  ::)

I think you'll like it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KYmj-Pa1R39PLzTQE6GeRnEPAaaDUeww/view?usp=shari...

Also, to anticipate the question, it is the 25th Anniversary Zen Triode amplifier driving the speakers.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #1420 - 04/05/20 at 05:08:03

Wow!!!  

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #1421 - 04/05/20 at 05:43:15

I know, right?  

See what happens when you have to stay at home!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #1422 - 04/05/20 at 09:05:56

I like the track. Who is it?

Tilting the Z15 series is changing the reflections in the room while lowering energy at the listening position. It is also reducing the rear reflections of the motor at that same position. This is evident in the video. It will sound different but better can only be determined over time.

Wondering the outcome of this might be offset tuning blocks or even pivotal tuning clamp for the F15 series.

I for one enjoy your R&D.

Stay safe.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #1423 - 04/05/20 at 15:08:09

This tilting subject brings up something that really has not been discussed. That is, the distance from speaker to listener. Back when I got my first pair of open baffles from Randy, I kept noticing how great they sounded from far away - 25 ft away, in my kitchen, or in a completely different room. I finally got in touch with Randy and told him about this. I really just wanted to ask him what he thought the optimum listening distance was. His opinion was, at least 12’ away, and more if possible. And he added that near-field was a bad idea. The open baffle sound needs room to develop. In my listening room, I’m at about 11’ , and that works pretty well in my room.

Randy, I hope I haven’t mis-quoted you. If so, please chime in. I’m certainly not trying to dissuade anyone with a smaller listening room from trying open baffles, but just feel that to get the most out of them, you should be a good 10’ or so away from them.

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #1424 - 04/05/20 at 17:13:03

I would think that a solid hardwood wedge would work better for tilt.  Would couple the base to the floor better. A wedge from 3 1/2” at front to about 1/4” at back. I say 1/4” so that it’s thick enough that it wouldn’t break apart.

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #1425 - 04/05/20 at 18:36:07

Early on I experimented with isolation platforms under my BBs.  I generally like decoupling my speakers from my floors.  In the case of the BBs though I didn't get much, if any gain/loss either way so I've abandoned the isolation.  I'd be interested to hear if anyone hears noticeable improvement one way or the other.  As for a "wedge," I've ordered some big pivoting leveling footers that will allow me to play with the angle with the turn of a nut.  I'm wondering if the tilt might depend on the distance to the listening position?

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #1426 - 04/05/20 at 19:23:59

Me too. Steve states in these experiments that he does a lot of standing and walking around as he is listening. So, tilt would make a huge difference there. Most of the time, when I’m listening, I sit down in, what I feel like, is my best listening position.

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #1427 - 04/05/20 at 19:35:10

I sit about 13 ft from my speakers but I listen from random places more than I do in the "sweet spot."  The 7 1/2 degree tilt is a big improvement for both but I think slightly less tilt might improve the sitting position.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #1428 - 04/05/20 at 21:59:20

With the Big Betsy’s, it stands to reason that your sweet spot would be pretty far away. Would the mass of the baffle have to be considered, as well as the driver height from the floor?  It seems to me that two angles are needed. One for sitters like me, and one for standers. It would be difficult to come up with a medium angle that would satisfy both. With my slightly bigger Randy style 8” Betsys, the driver height is less than the 15M’s and considerably less than the 15L’s. My standing angle should be more than 15 degrees. I have been experimenting with the angle I like best for my sitting position.

And is this apples to oranges comparing an 8” driver to 15” driver?  Steve, Randy, help???🤣🤣🤣

Once I put my Crystals back in, I’ll have to experiment with the best angle for them as well.

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #1429 - 04/05/20 at 22:15:09

Well I’m only about 7’ from my speakers.  I get very good imaging. However I do get certain songs where sounds are pinned to the speakers.  I do think all the diffusers I have help.  

Last night I had a peak listening experience.  Listened from around 7:00 to 12:30.  Seems that the AI in Tidal did a nice job putting together a mymix.  Combine that with the new DAC hitting its stride and the tilt and it was one of my best sessions.  Ok, wine may have been a part of the equation as well.   I made three separate playlists from what was playing and will share tomorrow.

Interested in the crystal tilt findings Geno.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #1430 - 04/06/20 at 03:25:44

Quote:
One for sitters like me, and one for standers. It would be difficult to come up with a medium angle that would satisfy both.

Remember it's the tilt and the toe. Gotta have both. The result is (as I originally mentioned) that the sound for the first time remains largely unchanged sitting or standing. My distance is on a 10 foot arc. It is this small miracle of having the same depth and imaging sitting or standing that I have been chasing my entire adult life as an audiophile. I do my serious listening always setting in the sweet spot, of course. So you can imagine how annoying it is when you stand up in the sweet spot and hear the soundstage get better. It's been driving me nuts for 30 plus years now. Not only does the imaging not change, but the frequency balance is also locked, and it stays that way as you are slowly moving from sitting to standing.

My height is 5'9" but it's important to understand that my height is irrelevant to the angle. I did not adjust the angle by ear from a standing position, always and only seated in the sweet spot. The reason the angle is working is because it is prime, and when you start drawing lines at prime angles in a rectangle you have a far more dispersed pattern. Another reason the angle is working is because of floor bounce and the effect of that are drastically modified.

Hopefully this helps readers new to the thread to understand the reasoning behind the angle. In theory, distance to the wall behind the speakers shouldn't have any effect on how these angles interact with the room, but will certainly have an effect on pressure and standing waves behind the speaker, both which are higher with proximity to the wall. Killing the parallel lines between the wall and speaker by adding this angle will eliminate any standing waves behind the speaker that were caused by those lines.  Your frequency balance will improve.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #1431 - 04/06/20 at 04:10:43

Damnit Steve! I was headed to bed. Now I’m running around looking for bigger blocks to put under my speakers😳🤣🤓

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #1432 - 04/07/20 at 14:14:57

I think this will work. I just used a 3 x 3.

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #1433 - 04/07/20 at 15:33:24

This puts the angle at about 15 degrees. I’m not sure what the ‘proper’ angle should be based on Steves experiments, being that my baffle size and driver height are different. But at this angle, the improvement across the board is very significant. From top to bottom. Thank goodness for Steves insights.

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #1434 - 04/07/20 at 17:50:10

Since Steve posted the above I thought I'd mention that I don't hear any change as I go from standing to sitting.  I have a 7 1/2 degree tilt on my BBs and they are toed in to point at the place where I sit.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #1435 - 04/07/20 at 18:39:53

Adam, I’m not hearing much difference between the two. I may need to tilt mine back a little more.

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #1436 - 04/07/20 at 18:42:16

When are you getting your adjustable bases? It should be interesting to be able to make slight adjustments and reevaluate.

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #1437 - 04/07/20 at 22:46:39

Not till next week.  I have a feeling I'll "set and forget" based on the insensitivity to standing vs sitting and in between.  I haven't gone past the 7 1/2 degrees.  

Have you tried tilting the regular Betsys?  I thought they were insensitive to tilt?  Or are they just preferred in the vertical position?

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #1438 - 04/08/20 at 00:06:32

The picture I posted before has the driver out of the regular Betsy. My regular baffle has no driver in it now.

I just put the Crystal 10 back in to experiment with it. The driver is higher, so this roughly 15 degrees works better. Like I said earlier, I think I need more tilt with the others.

I forgot that my base is not as deep on the Crystals. I rechecked the angle and this makes it sharper - about 17 degrees.

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Acousticzen
Verified Member

Reply #1439 - 04/08/20 at 03:25:47

My medium Betsy's in Curly Cherry. I started with feet, but Steve told me the heavy base was integral to the design. While I was making the bases Steve was playing with the tilt. I angled the face on my base 5 degrees. I do prefer the sound with the heavy base. Tilting another few degrees increases the upper frequency and really dials in the sound stage. I haven't tried tilting the speaker any further. I'll give it a try and report back.

20200408_071811_resized.jpg
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #1440 - 04/08/20 at 18:35:41

Hi AZ. Yep, get em tilted back. Makes them better in every way. It’s pretty unbelievable.

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #1441 - 04/13/20 at 22:29:30

I installed adjustable footers on my BB footers.  On another note, I find that I like less toe-in with the F15s.  I haven't gone as far as neutral (or negative) but I'll try that as time goes on.

IMG_2799a.jpg

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #1442 - 04/13/20 at 22:30:38

Another picture:

IMG_2801a.jpg

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #1443 - 04/13/20 at 23:12:25

I've probably mentioned this before, but I look at toe-in like a camera shutter.  The more open, the wider, but less deep the soundstage appears.  More toe-in provides a deeper but less wide soundstage.  

I have been playing around with toe-in and with tilt, I am getting pretty good depth with less toe-in when I tilt.  I'll be interested to hear where others end up.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #1444 - 04/13/20 at 23:55:10

My last speakers were HR1s.  Neither those nor the F15s are "beamy."  In my space, more toe-in seems to congest the sound.  That is with tilt anyway.  I'm keeping the tilt so I'm not sure how it affects the toe-in (can't go back) but I suspect you are right that less toe with tilt is true.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #1445 - 04/14/20 at 02:12:00

Archie, the footers are cool and a good idea. Are you starting with the 7 1/2 to start? Very interested in your results with different angles.

Pal and Archie, what degree of toe in do you find is too much, and where are you finding the best result?

I have the 8” Betsy Alnico’s in now, with 17 degrees of tilt, and about 12 degrees of toe in. I seem to be dialed in pretty well. Of course it’s apples to oranges comparing to your very different drivers and baffle size, but I’m pretty close to the same set up with the Crystals too. My degree of toe in points the speakers at each outside shoulder.

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #1446 - 04/14/20 at 21:44:04

Geno,

I started with 7 1/5 degrees.  I haven't tried a different angle.  I think these feet would allow up to 10 degrees.  For me, too much toe-in had the speakers pointing at my listening position.  Right now I have them mid way between that and neutral.  In some ways these sound very omni-directional to me.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Acousticzen
Verified Member

Reply #1447 - 04/14/20 at 22:40:58

My speakers are toed in pointing to about my shoulders. This is where most speakers I have had end up.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #1448 - 04/15/20 at 04:12:59

Sounds like we have about the same toe in, Russ. Are you staying with the 8 degrees of tilt?

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Acousticzen
Verified Member

Reply #1449 - 04/15/20 at 04:21:05

Yes, for now. I will give it a few weeks and play with tilt again. With spring I won't be in the house much so critical listening will fall off until I get my new amp from Steve.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32
Send Topic Print