Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 12:36:22 

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 32
Send Topic Print
Steve's BIG BETSY Project (Read 166967 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: Steve's BIG BETSY Project
Reply #1100 - 11/21/19 at 02:12:36

UPDATE:  Plywood vs. Hardwood

Having spent quite a lot of time with the plywood ZF15M baffles getting the drivers to break-in, which they did, I was able to remove the drivers from those baffles and install them into the new cherry baffles.

I have now spent enough time with the cherry baffles shown above, that I can confirm there is an audible difference in sound between plywood and hardwood. The hardwood has better clarity in the upper midrange and top end with a flatter bass response. My previous worries about perhaps having the F15 too close to the floor and thus accentuating the mid-bass slightly have been alleviated. That part I can't explain. Perhaps it's just that the overall sound is slightly cleaner and I noticed it in these two places...

The plywood was overall slightly softer sounding with more bass weight albeit in a narrow band of frequencies.

Choosing cherry for this pair was motivated by wanting to stick with a single wood and one on the lower end of the price scale. I definitely have my new favorite look over the other two, and I have to say the sound of these is pretty glorious. They have wrecked my acoustic memory of how the bigger ones sound which is rare.  In fact I can't remember ever a time that this has happened, it's one of my strengths! I can remember how things sounded for years. In fact I can listen to how things sounded in my mind during listening sessions which is to say hear both at the same time and compare in real time. And the best part is it doesn't have to be the same song or music. This is one of my most valuable A/B tools I have for design and it's just in my head. Well, listening to these speakers, it's like the whole circuit is gone, so either these sound exactly like the big ones, or they're so close in satisfaction that it probably doesn't matter which one you have, hell they might be better in some ways.  

When I look at all three I realize that the third time is a charm from an artistic perspective. Studying the shape and mass relationships in all three, the last ones finally got it perfect.

So I couldn't be happier with these. Having done some research, these are probably going to be about 1/2 the price of all the open baffle speakers they spank.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #1101 - 11/21/19 at 03:18:49

Beautiful work Steve and I can imagine how great these must sound. I also think (IMO of course) that the 3rd set are the most aesthetically pleasing with driver proportionate to the baffle size ... they just look like there were made for each other.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #1102 - 11/22/19 at 18:22:22

Really nice Steve.  Inspiring for me to see your work.  I also like that  size.

A couple of observations.  

This past weekend I was up at my cottage to shut it down for the winter.  It was pretty cold so I spent some time inside listening to my regular ol' Betsy drivers in baffles with a pair of Augies run by a plate amp.

Lately, the speakers I have been listening to at home are the Crystal 10s with the AE LO15s.  I was struck by how good the regular Betsy drivers were in comparison to what I was hearing with the Crystal 10s.  At around 1/10th the cost, they are really pretty good.  For those of you not in a position to drop that much coin into a set of OB speakers, what Randy offers is a really good value.

Given some of Will's comments here and an email exchange with him, I finally put the Big Betsy's back in my system to compare to the now broken in Crystal 10s.  I was immediately struck by their bigger scale and sense of engagement.  Not the detail of the Crystal 10s nor the exquisite bass of the AEs, but I'd have to say they were more musical overall.

In subsequent listening sessions, I have found it easier to get myself into the "zone" with the Big Betsy's.

To be fair, I do not have the Crystal 10s/LO15s in a proper baffle yet but in this comparison, Big Betsy was my preferred speaker.

I am looking forward to putting the Crystal 10 drivers into their new baffles over the weekend.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
HDDR1
Verified Member

Reply #1103 - 11/22/19 at 18:54:09

Pal,

I am looking forward to your feedback once you get the Crystal 10s and LO15s into their new baffle.  Your comparisons are extremely helpful - and my leanings at the moment are toward the Crystal 10s and AE Lo15s.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #1104 - 11/22/19 at 18:56:40

I wish I could combine them into one speaker Wink!

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #1105 - 11/22/19 at 19:42:12

Palo,
I think it could be done!
I'm thinking on how to do it.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #1106 - 11/22/19 at 20:41:51

Yes, thanks Pal and Archie for your comments on the F15. Also those from Steve as he went along, it seems the limits in extension may or may not be an issue for me, but everyone seems to get so "caught" by the F-15/big baffles, evaluation seems to get quickly forgotten...a big testament to the speaker's qualities for me.

These impressions fit well with what I heard from  the stream...preferring the F-15s sweet textural "magic" and big/fast bass seamlessly integrating with the rest. Watching the stream too, I found it very interesting that the big baffles and new HR-1s caused trance-like listening more than the others.... Maybe just when I tuned in, but the sound that conveyed through my headphone setup did seem extra complex and rich with these two speakers also...engulfing and seductive.

Am I wrong in imagining being able to integrate an appropriate tweeter if I wanted an F-15 baffle to go up more??? I have been tuning away on my updated HR-1s, and that tweeter goes high and is quite fast and clear, but also pretty tunable with caps and resistors making ways of integration relatively easy and flexible. What do you all think of a tweeter with the F-15?

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #1107 - 11/22/19 at 21:36:26

I think it could be integrated Will.  Most of them are pretty efficient.  My favorite tweeter I have heard so far in a Decware speaker is the one used in the El Caminos / New HR-1.  I don't know the model number or the efficiency.

IP Logged
HDDR1
Verified Member

Reply #1108 - 11/23/19 at 04:13:10

So if I get the Crystal 10s - and say the AE LO-15s - the thing I may try is an active or digital crossover between the 2 - say as high as 450hz to see if that gets the slam and impact of the 15" woofer and you then retain the detail and transparency above that point.  I think that is the passive crossover point Pure Audio Project uses on their Trio15s.  So this violates my desire not to filter the signal going into the Crystal 10s but would be interesting to hear what that sounds like.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #1109 - 11/23/19 at 13:38:18

I Just tried taking the LO15s up to 450 with the crystals running wide open.   Interesting results.  It opened things up and did give a little more pop.  I think you would have to do something with a crystal crossover as it sounds congested.   It still does not have the scale or hit of the F15s.  Those drivers are a freak of nature.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #1110 - 11/23/19 at 16:51:48

Quote:
It still does not have the scale or hit of the F15s.  Those drivers are a freak of nature.

F15's are a freak of nature.  I can confirm the above statement.  Crystal 10's to be a fair comparison need to be in a cabinet.  In a cabinet, they have nearly an octave lower bass and it does not roll off.  Will shake your entire house.  Still, compared to the F15, they don't have the same hit.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #1111 - 11/24/19 at 17:24:19

What's up with Forbidden Error 403 on some post replies?  and then the Decware site won't load until I reboot my modem.  Not on this thread though.   Tongue

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #1112 - 11/25/19 at 13:55:11

Make sure you have the "S" in the https: Decware address.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #1113 - 11/25/19 at 14:22:52

I posted a picture of my latest Crystal 10 baffle over on the Palomino Audion Project thread.  I feel if we do too much talking about 2 or 3 way designs her it takes away from the Betsy conversation.

IP Logged
howard1818
Verified Member

Reply #1114 - 11/26/19 at 05:27:29

Trying to get slabs large enough can be challenging. What do you think about doing something like a river table? 2 pieces on the sides with the center filled with epoxy resin? Any idea on how it will effect the sound? Cutting and drilling it is an adventure but there are lots of color choices and it can fill quite a gap. Thanks

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #1115 - 11/26/19 at 16:35:48

Butcher block slabs are readily available and I think the results would be more predictable than using a lot of plastic in the build.  Or, gluing up slabs has to be easier than working with epoxy resin.  IMO

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
howard1818
Verified Member

Reply #1116 - 11/27/19 at 10:40:12

I've made a couple of pieces with the epoxy resin it's not that difficult to work with, a little messy and lots of sanding. Thought it would be an interesting look.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #1117 - 11/27/19 at 18:31:11

Howard,

River table looks fantastic! Would make a beautiful baffle. Give it a go!

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #1118 - 11/27/19 at 18:48:33

I can't imagine how a big "stream" of epoxy would sound with hardwood, both responding with the driver resonance-wise differently. Would they be complimentary? If so, it seems proportions of each could effect tone quite a bit, perhaps with fairly narrow parameters for best sound?...No idea here, just some questions.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
howard1818
Verified Member

Reply #1119 - 11/27/19 at 21:40:53

I have no idea either. I think I'm going to start with a Lii15 and see how it goes. I was reading about how a larger thicker baffle added to its sound.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #1120 - 11/27/19 at 22:56:38

If I had to guess, I guess that plastic will sound "dead."  Plastic soundboards are not used for instruments.  That said, I'd be curious about baffles made from natural stone and even the man-made "Quartz" stone.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #1121 - 11/29/19 at 22:35:41

I played around with the grills I installed on my BBs.  I wondered if they might sympathetically vibrate since if "strummed" they do ring.  I bought some thin walled silicone tubing and slipped it over the bars (had to use a little mineral oil to get them to slide) and I also added some to the mounting brackets.  The results weren't as I expected or hoped.  The tubing didn't really damp out the vibrations but it only lowered the frequency -- quite a bit.

I doubt I had a problem to start with but many of us get that "itch" wondering if something can be better.   Tongue

IMG_2770a.jpg

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #1122 - 11/29/19 at 23:51:44

Good idea Adam. Just like the TT tonearm!

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #1123 - 11/30/19 at 00:09:38

It worked better on the tonearm.  Maybe the lighter weight of the arm tube?

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
jlucas
Verified Member

Reply #1124 - 12/02/19 at 00:15:11

New user; spent way too much time today reading this entire thread!  I'm going to have to get with Randy at some point and go listen to his speakers since I'm just a couple hours away in central Ohio.

One thing I didn't see (and maybe it was posted elsewhere on the forum, link?) was what people thought of the Lii Audio full speakers that were at DECFEST?  (Steve's initial impressions shown in reply 759)

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #1125 - 12/02/19 at 03:03:08

Steve talks a little about them here post #36

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1567700699

More listening impressions on this thread.

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1570151298

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
jlucas
Verified Member

Reply #1126 - 12/02/19 at 14:09:26

appreciate the links!

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #1127 - 12/02/19 at 19:53:10

to which Lii Audio speakers are you referring too?
at the Zenfest, there were Lii Audio F15's in big baffles.
Lii Crystal 10's in OB's and
Lii's own fully completed speakers using the Crystal 10 in a ported box.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #1128 - 12/04/19 at 13:58:18

Got my birch butcher block Big Betsy's done this past Thanksgiving weekend.  They look a lot nicer and, perhaps, sound a little better than the MDF version but its not an overwhelming audio difference.  They might sound a little clearer in the midrange but the bass sounds pretty much the same.  

Dan

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #1129 - 12/04/19 at 14:45:41

Look nice!  What was the cost of the butcher block?  I looked on the site and did not see those exact dimensions.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1130 - 12/04/19 at 14:46:06

Dan: those look really nice. And look as if they sound even better!

Good work!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #1131 - 12/04/19 at 19:33:24

My Crystal 10s seem to have hit a new performance plateau.  I lost track of how many hours I have on them but wow, its very nice.  It probably has something to do with the baffle bracing discussed over on the PAP thread.

Anyone else go to a new level after XXX hours?

IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #1132 - 12/04/19 at 21:00:34

The butcher block was $229 for the large piece, 74" x 39" x 1.5" (BBCT1502574 - Home Depot) and $109 for the small piece, 50" x 25" x 1.5" (BBCT1502550 - Home Depot).

I wound up facing the bottom side forward because it had more contrast between the glued up pieces that I thought looked better - more interesting.  Finish is linseed oil and then a coat of spar varnish (that was probably older than I am, but was still good).

Dan

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #1133 - 12/04/19 at 21:25:54

Seems pretty reasonable.  If I were to double up the oak stair treads (for 2.2"), it would be $350.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #1134 - 12/04/19 at 22:57:59

This perfect plank stuff is nice to work with. I used it when I was a pattern maker.  https://perfectplank.com/
Not cheap but not outlandish.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #1135 - 12/07/19 at 04:50:50

So Dan, those look great!  loaded right into the corner horns I have to wonder if you shorted the voice coils on the horns and or what was the results of those experiments?

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #1136 - 12/07/19 at 05:02:27

Speaking of improvements, I have been enjoying a day of re-arranging in the shop and installing my media shelf.  As a result I had to find a place to put this rug, so I tossed it here.  The sound improvement is 12% if I had to estimate.  It is good enough that I will not be able to remove the rug now that I've heard what it did.  

Yes, a rug on carpet.  It makes sense, because it's creating a better diaphragmatic absorber and probably lowering the absorption frequency an octave or more.  I hear a more refined bass/midbass character and overall more animated image.

In fact this has been one of those evenings where everything is sounding lucid and wet.  I am just so impressed with these speakers!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #1137 - 12/07/19 at 05:53:04

OK Steve, I'll bite. What electronics are we looking at the back of on your rug there??

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #1138 - 12/09/19 at 02:30:55

Here is some insights into how sound behaves in wood.  The tuning fork demo is pretty excellent.  I started the video just before that part.

https://youtu.be/Em3oOJLTMks?t=63

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #1139 - 12/09/19 at 15:42:31

I can think of ways of tensioning the BB baffles but they probably would need to be thinner to take advantage of the effect.  Just a guess.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #1140 - 12/09/19 at 19:24:49

I made the link above because I found it fascinating just how much the tension, wood type and design effects resonance in wood -- simply supports the notion that in these baffles different woods and construction techniques can actually sound quite different.

A piano soundboard, is a mechanical amplifier that makes the piano work.  We are not trying to create a mechanical amplifier with the speaker baffle.  In fact if you look at the frame of these pianos that the sound board connects to, it is massive.  Without that, the soundboard would not work, just as a speaker cone will not work without a frame to hold it.

If you were to make a comparison against a piano, the baffle of these speakers would be more like the frame the soundboard is glued to while the driver itself would be more like the soundboard.

I suppose it would be possible to make a hollow baffle frame from 4 x 6 oak curved beams, built like a piano, and put a soundboard in it with a slight twist to tension it and mount the woofer on that, but I fear it would take about the same amount of time to get that to work right as it did to invent the piano and even if successful, why make something 20 times the price just for the sake of complexity?  I can't imagine it sounding that much better, in fact I only imagine after tons of work, it sounding almost as good.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #1141 - 12/09/19 at 19:36:43

Those amps are the 6C33C monos.  When I get back into that project some day, I will scratch build the chassis for them and apply the anniversary technology and see how far I can take them.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #1142 - 12/09/19 at 23:09:42

I still get confused about what the baffle is doing.  But it does amplify the sound, right?  

In the video, the example of bending the wood with the tuning fork showed that stress (tension) raised the volume.  Is the wood then more like a drum skin?

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #1143 - 12/10/19 at 02:19:09

Well, no doubt there is lots of energy in the wood of the ZF15 baffles that can be heard, but it's not amplifying the source of the sound (the F15 driver) which is far louder by comparison.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #1144 - 12/10/19 at 16:20:54

So, not like a panel speaker or like a music box motor that gets amplified when it's put on a table top versus in your hand?  I never tried playing the F15 out of its baffle.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #1145 - 12/11/19 at 17:52:44

I'm still dreaming of 6C33C monos for myself. I think they would make amazing Zen amps with grunt more like the Mystery amp.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #1146 - 12/14/19 at 01:53:28

UPDATE

I am still listening to the Cherry pair of ZF15M baffles as pictured in earlier posts.  I haven't had the urge to change them or try any other speaker yet, which is pretty good when you have an entire room full of speakers wanting their turn.  I have been playing them on a variety of amps so far, have successfully used them for at least 4 listening sessions with customers and am still amazed by all of it.  

The efficiency of these speakers takes the power equation largely out of it, making the 25th Anniversary Zen Triode amplifier hit just ever so slightly harder than a TORII Jr, TORII MK4, and ZMA.  I'll just never get used to that.

Anyway, I think over Christmas I'll probably put the large ones (ZF15L) back in and see how much more they bring to the table after many weeks of exclusively listening to these...

So at this point I think it's safe to say the test was a complete success with the possible exception that some people on Facebook think it looks like a toilet seat... now is their mind in the toilet?   Roll Eyes

That's fine, it will be some free advertising   Wink

WWW   IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #1147 - 12/14/19 at 02:17:05

So you are saying that they are the Shit(er)?

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #1148 - 12/14/19 at 04:06:01

No, I'm saying they could make you shit you pants during a demo.

Well, as an example, I often like to work the 25th Anniversary Zen Triode amp to exploit it's dynamics and weaknesses (which I have not found) so that I can know firmly where it stands in the grand scheme of things and what better music than 24 bit masters of Yello, and Borris Blank and Similar electronic music.  Tonight I spun the following track:

https://open.qobuz.com/track/8842315. (the link is only for the 16 bit version which lacks by comparison)

and about 1/3rd of the way into it, I realized the volume was as loud as I would ever get with the ZMA and the DNA2 speakers, but actually was hitting harder and had better delineation.  All night I have been listening to this kind of music gazing up at the amp waiting for the OA3's to blink, indicating the amp was nearing its power limitations.  They never blinked.  Then this track came on and was probably 6dB louder than the majority of what I'd been listening to all evening, and now I'm certain those ol tubes are going to be blinking their ass off, and NO!  Not even flinching.  It's just too hard to believe.  Really this is the demo for this amp and speaker pairing to show what is possible from 2 watts.  Not a hint of distortion and loud enough to be heard outside the building.

So as I've mentioned many times, the amp and these speakers have set new benchmarks that have exceeded everything we've done to date.  

What's fun, is the high power advocates who enjoy juicing SET owners into the back wall with 120dB SPL's from their giant wall of power and multi-way speakers would if here listening tonight find themselves setting on the couch with a puzzled look on their face and never be the same after they left.

It's true.  These speakers outperform nearly everything on so many levels, not the least of which is speed.

Speed is how fast a loudspeaker can stop.  If you have more than one driver complicating things, then it is how fast a loudspeaker can stop and how close can the two stop together.  These speakers are fast with big balls to back it up, making virtually any kind of music sound and feel like it's real. It's the ultimate B.O.C. audio achievement and would put fear into those who preach about multi-driver design superiority.

These speakers get virtually ALL music right.

WWW   IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #1149 - 12/14/19 at 15:24:53

Steve....back in the 90’s I went through a phase of listening to club/electronic music.  I actually have a decent collection of music very comparable in style to the Yello mix of “Oh Yeah”.  Some are from prominent DJ’s from NYC And Miami (Jonathan Peters, Eric Morillo, Junior Vasquez).  We are taking a genre of deep house music that can be base heavy.

FYI... If you go to Sound Cloud, you can browse and listen to music that is all posted from DJ’s.  

When I get some time over the Christmas break, I’ll put together a compilation for you and send it over. Now I am sure none of it is Hi Res, but all were ripped bit perfect from my collection.  

Dominick

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 32
Send Topic Print