03/28/24 at 15:31:04 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Zbit and XLR Source (Read 7674 times)
Hankster
Verified Member

Zbit and XLR Source
06/19/19 at 01:33:55

Hi, I want to make sure I was on the right track with ordering a ZBIT.  My preamp's XLR's put out 4 volts and what I thought this would allow my SE84UFO2 would the put out twice the volume as the 2 volts RCAs, am I in this idea or not?

Thanks for any input...

Henry S. Kurtz
  IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Re: Zbit and XLR Source
Reply #1 - 06/19/19 at 02:03:04

The ZBIT sounds great and has adjustable output of up to 7 Volts. I don't think it doubles the volume, but it does add more weight and density to the sound.

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
DirectStream DAC (APS nickel transformers, Vocm mod)
ZTPRE | ZBIT | ZROCK2 | SE84UFO3
Omega Super 3 HO XRS | Deep 8
Zenwave D4 | PCR-11 | PI Audio Uberbuss
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 06/19/19 at 02:54:55

You will be able to get the full four volts output (adjustable). It WON'T double the volume of the output of the amp, but as pursuit says it will give you added weight and dynamics and body to the sound. I love mine.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Hankster
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 06/19/19 at 06:07:22

Thanks for the replies I might take a look at the ZSTAGE for a gain increase for my amp.  The idea of the ZBIT is really nice to get a cleaner fuller sound, but I was looking to get a little more volume from the Zen.

Thanks again...

Henry S. Kurtz
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 06/19/19 at 11:12:20

With the ZBIT it will seem louder. With the ZSTAGE too it will seem louder. In both cases you may get the same apparent benefits of gain and apparent volume increase. In your shoes, if you can get the noise-cancelling gain from moving to balanced I would rather than add another gain stage. A call to Steve might help you decide which is best for you.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Hankster
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 06/19/19 at 17:15:34

OK, thanks for all the input I appreciate it greatly.

Henry S. Kurtz
  IP Logged
rrwwss52
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 05/25/21 at 01:06:24

Is the ZBIT available with a single set of XLR inputs to three sets of RCA outputs, or is two sets of RCA outputs the maximum.  

Also, is the ZBIT dual attenuator for control of each channel, or for each set of RCAs.

Thank you.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 05/25/21 at 01:13:30

Steve may have an answer for this that differs but as you probably noticed in the shopping cart there is only an option for one or two RCA outputs, not for three.

I have a ZBIT with dual stepped attenuators and two RCA outputs--the attenuators each control one channel, not one set of RCA outputs. I seem to remember seeing another on the "build list" in the past that had a note that dual controls control one pair of outputs each, so it's possible that can be done.

IP Logged
rrwwss52
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 05/25/21 at 01:27:06

Thank you for the reply.  Looking at the ZBIT photo, it looked as if there was space for three sets of RCAs, but figured it would have to be a special build request.  The thought being inserting the ZBIT XLR from my Aurender A10 server/ player to two headphone amps and a preamp.

Another option is ---I am running an XLR to RCA adapter out from my preamp; presently, I am using a splitter, and have separate sets of RCA cables connected to my two headphone amps (one tubed, one solid state).

Trying to learn more about the ZBIT and how it would benefit my system.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 05/25/21 at 01:40:52

Would be great if you could have three outputs and use one for each component!

If your system could benefit from extra gain the ZBIT will be a great tool, allowing you to feed that balanced output to the single-ended inputs and also to adjust it. In my system my DAC puts out about l.3 volts in single-ended and being able to use the balanced output into the amps was a huge benefit. And I find that aobout 80 to 90 percent of the gain sounds bettter than 100 percent, so the adjustability is very useful. Then I bought a ZTPRE which allowed me preamp control over my DAC via balanced input, but the ZBIT still comes in handy to maintain ZTPRE balanced output and transform it to RCA into my ZROCK2.  I also have a ZBIT in my other system to utilize the balanced output of my Oppo UDP-205 into the CSP2+ preamp. I love using the ZBITs and imagine you would as well.

A call in to Sarah may clear up what your options would be regarding number of outputs and the nature of the attenuator controls.

IP Logged
rrwwss52
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 05/25/21 at 01:48:54

Thanks.  The practical part of me thinks the XLR to dual RCA from the preamp would probably be more useful.  I currently have an ampsandsound "XLR to RCA converter" between the Aurender and the tubed headphone amp and an Audioquest RCA splitter from the preamp feeding the two headphone amps.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 05/25/21 at 02:27:20

Hey, what do they say about fixing things that aren't broken? Wink

I will say this though: there is something about the 1:1 Jensen transformers that Steve uses--they are very transparent and they also contribute something. . . several call it a "sparkle"--I'm not sure that is what I hear but I do hear a clarity and a presence that is very very satisfying.

IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 06/11/22 at 02:02:04

I just plugged in my new Zbit into my system. Lon, my system is similar to yours. We have the PSA DSD, Zbit, Zrock2 and a Decware amp feeding HR1’s!! It sounds amazing!

Home: Torii MKIV-25, ZP3-25, HR-1’s, ZLC, DSR, DHC-1, PSA DSD, ZRock2, SA8005, Zenstiyx, VPI Prime, Hana ML, ZMC1.
Work: SE84UFO-25, Schiit modi, Trapeziums, MacBook air, Audirvana aiff. Also have a pair of ESS AMT 1C’s in workout room with a cxnv2.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13 - 06/11/22 at 02:27:00

IP Logged
johnnycopy
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 06/15/22 at 04:43:35

For those with zbit, preamps and zrock2, where do you insert the zrock2, before or after the pre?

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #15 - 06/15/22 at 05:05:41

I have mine after Zbit and before preamp.  I think I read where there are alternatives,  but before preamp benefits listening with headphones.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Media Converter | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print