Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 21:27:36 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
One of my Monoliths Just Died (Read 6376 times)
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

One of my Monoliths Just Died
06/16/19 at 02:00:39

The right speaker began to hiss and soon it decreased in volume, then stopped working altogether. Switched it with the left speaker to make sure it wasn’t a cabling issue. I unscrewed the back binding post plate and no wires are disconnected. How can I fix this total driver failure?

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Re: One of my Monoliths Just Died
Reply #1 - 06/17/19 at 15:37:37

That sucks and is weird at the same time. The bottom speaker is run full range and the tweeter should have a capacitor on it to block the lower frequencies. If you have access to a DMM, check to see if the driver voice coil has failed. Check the ohms across the terminal of the main driver. They should be around 4 or 8 ohms. Depends on the DMM you have you can also check the capacitance of the cap. Did you get any sound out of the tweeter or mid. If they both failed you had a massive voltage spike. Email Steve or Bob and they should tell you the parts you need to fix this. You can get both drivers from Madisound.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 06/17/19 at 16:36:14

I’ll obtain a multimeter and check everything out. Since nothing is working the failure was massive.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
BAndrade
Seasoned Member

Do it once, do it
right. Repeat for
quality life.

Reply #3 - 06/17/19 at 22:35:24

With your multimeter try comparing the capacitors, inductors and resistors on the crossovers one at a time with readings on the speaker that is working.

BTW is there a fuse on the crossover?

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 06/17/19 at 23:57:32

Don’t see one

55   IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 06/18/19 at 02:23:53

“IT’S ALIIIIIVVEEE!”

Spoke to Bob. The jumper failed. Foam that separates the right from left side of the jumper failed so the four speaker terminals were connected preventing the speaker from working. So that’s why the speaker stopped putting out. Replaced the jumpers with wires and now the speaker works fine.

It’s nice to have such a wonderful group of folks who help each other out.

Thanks so much, Bob.

55   IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #6 - 06/18/19 at 15:27:39

Great news, Jim!  As a former owner, I wanted to help, but couldn't imagine what would cause one to just stop working.  So glad that you are back in business.

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #7 - 06/18/19 at 16:24:39

Good info to post....just in case I have same issue with my monoliths in the future.  Thanks for posting!

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 06/18/19 at 16:39:01

I advise anyone to replace those jumpers with wire or something else. I screwed down the posts and evidently the foam gave way, joining all 4 posts together.

55   IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 06/18/19 at 18:02:01

You were lucky that you had them hooked up to a Decware amp. Steve was not joking when he said his amps can run a dead short because you just did. Glad it was an easy fix for you.

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #10 - 06/19/19 at 16:58:57

Ranch,

Oh! I guess I won't have that issue. I replaced jumpers with mapleshades soon after purchasing my monoliths and have not looked back. mapleshades made a nice improvement.

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 06/19/19 at 17:42:54

My solution was a long solid copper wire I had laying around. It was just long enough to jump both speakers.

55   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print