Send Topic Print
Lonely Raven Audio PC (Read 5925 times)
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Lonely Raven Audio PC
06/10/19 at 21:57:56

I just wanted to finally give a BIG thanks to Lonely Raven for setting up an audio PC for me several months ago.  I had been using JRiver as a player through my laptop, and LR set up the new computer with Foobar, which was a HUGE step up.  I still cannot believe how good it sounds. The only limit to how good it can sound is the quality of the recording.

I understand that LR has recently relocated, and I wish him the best of luck in the future. Thanks again, my friend!

Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: Lonely Raven Audio PC
Reply #1 - 07/11/19 at 20:50:35

Thanks for the kind words, Geno!

Yeah, I'm just outside of Denver now - closed on a small house on Monday and I'm trying to get the place prepped and get unpacked. Lots of work ahead of me still, but I'll be getting my audio rig going and be back to building PCs in a few weeks!

Thanks again, I'm glad you enjoy the system!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #2 - 07/11/19 at 22:34:48

LR,

I just received my new Zbit today, and have the PC/DAC run through it. Took it to yet another level. Truly awesome!

Best,

Geno

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 07/11/19 at 23:06:54

Congrats on the ZBIT Geno.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #4 - 07/12/19 at 00:49:59

Thanks, Lon. Might be my favorite Decware component so far Cool

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #5 - 08/17/21 at 18:55:38

A long time back, I bought a computer set up by LR. It was so impressive to me that digital could sound as good as it could. So anyways, what I am looking for is a consumer unit that is equal to the LR unit, but much simpler operate. You heard it here first, I am not even the least tech bit saavy. So even thought computer is easy as it can get for a computer, I want something that records my CD's bit perfect, stores them, I easily find the title and hit play. I get lost with the computer wanting me to select between this output or that, the sampling , etc etc etc I get so lost that I just scramble for a button that says play, regardless of quality. If I have a $600 budget what kind of machine can I get?    Go ahead ask me some questions so that it can be narrowed down. Remember, non tech guy. To date I have never owned a cell phone. Got it? I want plug and play and the quality of the LR digital experience.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 08/17/21 at 21:16:18

The Brennan B-2 is just over $600 and worth reading about.

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 08/18/21 at 17:11:48

Yes, LR [Eric] is an indispensable member of the Decware family!

I owe ALOT to Eric, as he was highly instrumental in helping me understand and lighting a fire under my ass to get motivated and build/purchase a suite of critical room treatments which is like increasing the size of a small room by 10x and putting a $25k component in the audio chain.

Geno, I'm glad to know your good news!

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #8 - 08/18/21 at 18:21:54

Ed,

Just read about the B2. That is exactly what I am talking about. Thanks. I still don't know if it would sound as good as the LR computer, because I couldn't tell you a single thing about the guts of either one. It would be worth a shot though. Thanks for the suggestion.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 08/19/21 at 15:07:21

So many factors are involved with a music computer it’s not possible to know in a discussion via internet. Hard drive speed, buss speed, cpu chip selection, DAC and sound card all are interwoven to produce the final analog product. I still like the Brennan concept for non technically minded people and it seems viable.

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 08/19/21 at 15:49:05

Just an FYI on the Brennan B2.  You may want to look at the connectivity options in evaluating it.  The following link shows the back of the B2 and discusses how to connect to an amplifier.  

https://www.brennan.co.uk/itemcontent.php/content/AudioConnections

The B2's output for an amp are a single 3.5mm jack for both digital optical output or electrical analog output, or an HDMI link.

The choices seem to be:

(1) optical cable which has a 3.5mm plug for the B2 and a Toslink connector for the amp.
(2) Cable with 3.5mm plug for B2 which splits into two RCA plugs for the amp.
(3) HDMI Cable.

So I'm not an expert on connections, but just be aware that you may need to think through making that connection.

Hope that is helpful.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #11 - 08/23/21 at 16:50:12

TD,

It is a good point about these connections. Funny how things have moved away from RCA to other connections. I can get a 3.5 mm male connector with RCA on the other end. In fact, I would be tempted to make my own so that I could choose the cable and connectors being used.

Thanks for the heads up.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print