03/29/24 at 08:17:42 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tube longevity (Read 4185 times)
Melvin
Ex Member

Tube longevity
06/08/19 at 13:13:45

I know this is a common question with many of us who are new to tube gear and yet here I am asking for a bit of guidance. My SE84UFO has seen daily use for the past 15 months. I'd estimate at least 2-3 hrs. per day and on weekends perhaps 5 hrs per day with the original tubes. To be on the safe side .. 1500 hrs. total seems about right. I'm starting to detect (at least I think I am) some changes, maybe a bit of noise that wasn't there there previously. I have a new set of tubes ready to roll .. should I replace all 4? Or perhaps just the output tubes? I'd like to replace the tubes before failure but can't help but wonder if I'm I being premature. I realize, of course, the easy answer is to just replace them all and listen for myself. Still, I would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks gentlemen.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Tube longevity
Reply #1 - 06/08/19 at 13:33:30

Steve has offered great advice here before: when in question swap out a new tube for the exiting one and listen for differences. That has really worked well for me--it really shows me if the current tube is lacking.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 06/08/19 at 16:16:38

I once had an office setup with a SE84CKC. The unit ran about 6-8 hours per day. After about a year I found myself cranking up the ZStage I had in front of the unit a lot more. The power tubes in the amp still sounded goos but were just not as dynamic. You could easily judge if the current output tubes are still good if you listen to them, pop new ones in and compare. If the new ones sound better enough that you can tell the difference take the original power tubes out of service.  

your input is probably good for up to 5,000 hours.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Melvin
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/08/19 at 18:56:40

Thanks guys. I will swap the output tubes and have a listen.

5000 hrs. on the input tube .. nice. Any idea on the rectifier tube?

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 06/08/19 at 21:09:42

Rectifier tubes have been known to last longer than power tubes and inputs. Look at all the 5U4G that show up good used. They come from TV sets that have played for years.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 06/09/19 at 01:49:02

A lot of NOS rectifiers are rated at 10,000 hours. I can't speak to new production.

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
DirectStream DAC (APS nickel transformers, Vocm mod)
ZTPRE | ZBIT | ZROCK2 | SE84UFO3
Omega Super 3 HO XRS | Deep 8
Zenwave D4 | PCR-11 | PI Audio Uberbuss
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
Melvin
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/09/19 at 14:51:19

Excellent! Thank you once again.

IP Logged