Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 07:16:22 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tube Selling Experience I Had (Read 2606 times)
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Tube Selling Experience I Had
05/26/19 at 14:04:24

Lately I've been selling off a large number of tubes from my stash that I will probably never use. This is all on ebay. A buyer who bought a nice looking GE 5Z3 reported that at turn on it flashed and turned purple. So I told him to return it. So I see his name, "Dennis J. Had" from North Carolina and thought, hmmm, that name strikes me as familiar. Well damn! That's Dennis J. Had who was with Cary Audio! What is he doing buying tubes from me, a nobody? When he could have fallen prey to the ministrations of these greengirl people who've been raiding tube stocks for years, taking photos with a hokey bamboo screen calling them "stereo tubes," priced at 4-10 times what the tube should sell for. Or from the guy who lists his stuff as "Serious Tubes." I laugh and cringe at the same time. Although between the two I'd rather buy from him.

Getting back to the experience I Had Mr. Had was very gracious about the failure; I shipped him out another 5Z3 that hopefully will not suffer the same fate.  

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
dvl

Re: Tube Selling Experience I Had
Reply #1 - 05/26/19 at 17:31:27

I met Dennis Had maybe 20 years ago when he was still at Cary Audio. Cary Audio at the time was located just a few miles down the road from my house. Very gracious man. He talked to me and my friend for probably a half hour, showing us this prototype of a tubed tuner he was playing around with. Don’t think it ever made it to production, but it was clear he loved what he was doing and had all kinds of ideas around tube design. We were just two guys curious about Cary Audio’s product range, and he talked to us like old friends, telling us stories, asking what we thought. Just a great guy.

David

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #2 - 05/31/19 at 21:37:57

Mr. Had still builds amp... under the "Inspire" name.  Basically to order and in very limited quantity.  Occasionally you will see him advertising one to sell on FleaBay....

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 05/31/19 at 22:20:48

Yeah man. Don't know if you recall that guy Fireblade who was on here with a thousand or so posts on the Mini Torii finally gave up DECWARE and bought a Had amp.

Guess he had Had it with Decware. Yuk Yuk!

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #4 - 05/31/19 at 22:42:11

Ahh yes, Fireblade.
The man with what we call analysis paralysis. Too obsessed with getting the exact "right" thing to the point of just talking endlessly about some specification that really doesn't matter. I'm pretty sure that I mad him mad when I pointed it out.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print