Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 16:09:53 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Infinitely Adjustable Line Out Controls? (Read 7455 times)
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Re: Infinitely Adjustable Line Out Controls?
Reply #50 - 01/07/22 at 20:41:09

I called the main phone line during business hours.  It said the mailbox is full and no longer able to accept messages.

I had emailed Sarah last Monday, but have heard no reply 5 days later.

Are they still in business?  I'm joking.

Is there another phone line to call?  I realize they're overwhelmed.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #51 - 01/07/22 at 21:47:42

I don't know of any other number myself. I honestly think the contact form on the page may be the best messaging format. But I'm not certain of that, just a hunch.

Hopefully you'll receive an email response or a phone call back relatively soon.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #52 - 01/07/22 at 21:53:45

Not possible to leave a voicemail.  The mailbox is full and unable to accept messages.

I'll try the online form, thanks.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #53 - 01/07/22 at 22:10:16

I got that; if you had a phone number on an email it might possibly lead to a phone call.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #54 - 01/07/22 at 22:16:42

Hopefully!

I’ve emailed Steve & Sarah directly to their individual emails, and used the online form. Cell number on all. Will call again Monday. It’s an all out communication blitz. Who knows, maybe they are trapped under boxes of tubes and need our help?

I’ll notify emergency services as well.

Kevin Deal might be holding them for ransom, I’ll check the dark web.

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #55 - 01/08/22 at 00:18:47

By coincidence, Sarah just replied to my last Monday email. So apparently Kevin Deal is still allowing them internet access. (I’m poking fun at the current Kevin Deal vs Raven Audio YouTube controversy that is sweeping across forums, and I’m only pretending to be nuts)

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #56 - 01/08/22 at 00:57:38

Suddenly, Decware customer service is on fire.  Sarah replied to my inquiry today.  It will cost $100 to replace the headphone output with dual volume controls, one for each channel.  FYI.

I have headphone outputs all over the place as it is, so nothing lost for me.  And the easy balance control will make it easier to put the Marantz in power amp only mode which not only disengages its pre-amp, but turns off the pre-amp's power supply as well so it can run entirely as a power amp.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #57 - 01/08/22 at 02:16:53

Keep in mind, if you have a single master volume, you can still balance the sound with the Input/Output controls.  Unless there is a big sonic advantage to the separate volumes, I think it would be tedious to have to turn up two controls every time you want to change volume.  That is if you use the CSP3 for volume control and not the control on your amp.  Me, I just leave my master control in one place.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #58 - 01/08/22 at 02:23:57

Thanks Archie. I will not be controlling volume on the CSP3. Volume will be controlled on the Marantz remote.

I still find the separate output controls confusing.  Lon and many others have explained it, but I still feel uneasy about it.  That chart showing all the different voltages further confuses me!

Volume controls I understand. And I only need it as a balance control on the CSP3.  My room shifts left, so I need to boost the right channel.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #59 - 01/08/22 at 06:23:57

I look at them this way.  The input/output controls set the maximum voltage out and the "volume" or master control attenuates that from zero to it's max.  I find the higher the CSP3 voltage setting, the greater the weight/density.

But I may be wrong.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #60 - 01/08/22 at 13:47:19

I think the dual volume knobs is a good idea and I'm glad Sarah got back to you. Especially if your room needs a balance effect (mine does too). You'll be surprised how soon you get used to the input and output gain knobs and how "gain riding" influences the overall sound. I never had anything like this before my first CSP2 twenty years ago and now I can't live without that. I think you're going to really like the CSP3.

IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #61 - 01/08/22 at 16:48:43

There was significant anxiety about the dual volume volume controls on my second Decware amp, a Torii Jr, but after only a few days of using them, it became apparent that the good life was simply not possible without them.  Uneven hearing loss and room issues make dual volume controls a must for me.

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
PAP Quintets with Voxativ 1.6
First Watt J2 or Cary 300SEI
driving Voxativs—no crossover
LFD NCSE driving 15” Woofers
  IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #62 - 01/08/22 at 17:40:59

I’m excited about the whole thing.  Because balance is a constant need in my room, I also like what I expect to be chicken head volume knobs that makes it easy to see what is set.  The output knobs, if they are like Brad’s guitar knobs will require reading glasses.

The ZRock 2 will arrive at the same time. Should I put them in one at a time, starting with the CSP3?

And what about my ZBox?  Doesn’t the ZR2 cover the same ground?

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #63 - 01/08/22 at 18:04:46

The ZR2 is a whole nother animal!  

One thing to watch with the ZR2 is that you can over drive it if it's after the CSP3.  That's where that CSP3 voltage chart is helpful.  I put mine after my CSP3 so I have it on both channels but if you put it before you pretty much eliminate the over drive issue.  I've never had a ZBox but my guess is that you can put it in a second system or sell it.  I think the CSP3 covers the same ground -- on steroids.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #64 - 01/08/22 at 20:14:15

Cool, I’ll have the ZR2 before the CSP3 due to better impedance matching with the Marantz.

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #65 - 01/10/22 at 20:30:00

To follow up, I spoke with Steve and Sarah today.  When replacing the headphone output with dual volume controls, there is no charge.  Though it does make it a custom job and non-returnable.  But with the used market on the forums so strong, that's not an issue.  Why take the 10% return fee hit when one likely can sell it used at no loss?

I was mindful to keep the conversation with Steve brief so he can get back to work!

Sarah did say that parts will be pulled soon, and once done, it doesn't take them very long to build the unit.  The primary delay comes with testing and quality control as Steve continues to do that entirely himself.  Which I find reassuring that even with the exponential growth in orders, the same care and attention is given as it was pre-contact with the larger HiFi world.

It does suggest that even with extra techs hired, production can only go so fast as there's only one Steve.  And kudus to Steve for keeping quality the priority, even if it means lengthy shipping delays.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #66 - 01/10/22 at 20:47:38

Steve did mention here or in an email to those on the list or both (can't remember specifically) that the bind with production is the quality testing, that he was doing solo. He said his hardest task is to get someone trained to assist him with that. I hope he can in time. . . quickly enough.

Glad you will have yours with parts pulled and assembled soon, and I think you'll like the dual volume controls. I have that on my Taboo, my ZBIT and my ZTPRE.

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #67 - 01/10/22 at 21:06:49

Granted, my order will ship in about a month, so I don't really have a dog in the waitlist race anymore.  And I understand that being able to train someone to do testing and quality control will increase the profitability and reduce lengthy shipping delays.  That said, I prefer the notion of the Zen Master personally testing each unit before it ships.  These are Steve's creations, and no one knows, or probably can know, what he knows about how they should sound.

To achieve a comparable level of service via a trained QC tech would likely require the Japanase apprenticeship model where only after 5 years do they let you make the rice.

I have some Yu Kurosaki cooking knives from Japan.  They are made by the master himself who had to study under his master for 10 years before being deemed ready to make his own knives.  That's longer than it takes to become a medical doctor - for kitchen knives!

What makes Decware so special is that Japanese like level of quality, where the master performs the most essential tasks.

Look at the Raven Audio vs PrimaLuna kerfuffle.  A pointless debate about quality between 2 men who don't make jack*** themselves.  Not that a scaled business can't make a quality product, but what Steve is doing is very unique and, in my humble opinion, can't be, nor should be, replicated at scale.

With Yu Kurorsaki, the USA dealer gets knives when he gets them, might only be a shipment or 2 per year.  Can wait months and months just to have the opportunity to purchase one.  But what you end up with is not just an appliance, but a piece of art.

And so it is with Decware.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #68 - 01/10/22 at 21:14:18

I'll take your word for it with the knives. I just buy mine off the rack in the supermarket and they cut vegetables just fine.

I really don't think it's the same model to be honest, and I really think that Steve can be the final arbiter for quality control and in months have one of his best persons already in the assembly area do preliminary testing.

I'm eager to read your impressions of the components when they arrive. I bet in a few years you'll have a Zen amp.

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #69 - 01/10/22 at 21:17:41

Sounds good Lon, they can have an option on the order form for "those who don't require Steve's personal testing", you're very generous to get in that lane.
Smiley

My reflections on Japanese ways is highly complementary of Decware.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #70 - 01/10/22 at 23:17:19

Nothing wrong with complimentary, but accuracy is better imo. I didn't think that was an accurate analogy.

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #71 - 01/10/22 at 23:55:46

It depends on the degree you desire perfection.  When looked at from a perspective that values mastery, my analogy was both eloquent and extremely accurate.

But yes, if you are a cheap knife type, it might be over your head a bit!
Cheesy

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #72 - 01/11/22 at 01:11:08

No, it's not over my head. I just don't think that Steve's skill set is analogous. The scope of his is broader and intuition is more involved. Less about perfection as it is about innovation. You like the analogy, okay, I'll drop it.

I still think it won't take him too long to have another handle less important parts of the final testings.

Have a nice night.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print