Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 10:31:01 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
First Timer - Decware Amp Advice Sought (Read 3391 times)
livewire
Verified Member

First Timer - Decware Amp Advice Sought
05/06/19 at 14:56:32

Greetings Decware forum members.  First time post, long time lurker!  I would like to ask the members here for some advice based on your experiences if you would be so kind.

I am in the process of building a second system in my basement that will be dedicated purely to vinyl playback.  I have a turntable and speakers ready to use but am unsure of the appropriate amplification for my needs.

The speakers will be Tekton Lore 2.0 which as I'm sure you know are a high efficiency design (mid 90s efficiency).  I chose them specifically for their live sound and dynamic capabilities.  They are currently being driven by a vintage Sansui AU505 integrated as a stop-gap amp while I consider other amps for a more long term solution.  I am looking to venture into the world of an all tube system (phono pre and power amp) and wanted some advice on the Decware offerings.  Since this will be my first foray into tubes, the options can be a confusing.  Not only does amp choice play a role but so does the tube choice within that given amp.

My musical taste is all over the map but I primarily listen to rock (classic through metal) and jazz.  What I am looking for is an amp that can sufficiently drive these speakers within the space and help create a sound you can "feel" - to try to make the room come alive.  What I mean by feel is where the sound waves completely fill the room and you can feel the tone and nuances in your chest with the proper recordings.  Particularly noticeable with overdriven bass guitars and drums (or down tuned guitars).

My listening room will be approx. 11 feet wide by 20 feet deep and 9 foot ceilings.  The floor is carpeted, sheetrock walls with wood ceilings (subfloor from first floor).  The equipment will be set up along the narrow wall (11 feet) so the speakers will be firing into the 20 foot space.  I can place my listening position anywhere front to back within this 20 foot depth to get the best setup possible given these constraints.

So, any recommendations from the Decware offerings that can drive these Tekton's properly while taking advantage of the dynamism inherent in the design to really get the sound waves really filling up the room?  Amp and tube suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks to all for your time and consideration here.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Re: First Timer - Decware Amp Advice Sought
Reply #1 - 05/06/19 at 15:58:28

What is the turntable cartridge your using?  MM or MC?

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 05/06/19 at 16:05:30

My opinion is you'll want to get a Torii or a Torii Jr. at least.  Of course some will swear by their ZMAs but that's a lot more money. In regards to tubes, just use the stock Steve sends for a few months minimum then explore...lots of ink about tubes here...

Then eventually you'll want a ZP3 and probably a pre amp...CSP3.  A lot depends on your budget, of course.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 05/06/19 at 16:14:00

Livewire,
Welcome to the forum, since you are building a dedicated system, before you even start adding new equipment my recommendation would be to do some research on room treatments (Accoustics Fields, GIK, etc) and do at least a decent job of that before you go further. It will add some time and expense to your project, but make a significant difference in your end results.
Best,
Scott

TORII MKIV-25th,ZBIT,ZROCK2-25th,ZTPRE-25th,ZLC,DNA2's, REL S/3 SHO
MyTek Brooklyn DAC+,Sonore ultraRendu LinearPS,sonicTransport APi7 4TB
Woo WA6, Sennheiser HD660s
RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
dvl

Reply #4 - 05/06/19 at 16:46:45

Livewire,

i've owned a Torii Jr., and SE84UFO, and i was in Peoria last September and heard the latest Zen Anniversary amp. So up front, that's my experience with Decware amps.

i love vinyl, and when i'm serious about listening to music, when i'm going to sit down in my listening chair and focus solely on the music, i pull out an lp. i listen to digital when i'm at my computer doing other things. When i had that 2 watt Zen, i found myself playing more digital music than i had before. It was just so good, made digital sound so real. When i wanted to hear an lp, i pulled out my Torii Jr. In my system, it just gave the music more jump and snap, the transparency and speed of the amp just make vinyl more fun to listen to. If i remember correctly, when Steve was documenting his journey with the Torii Jr., he mentioned that especially analogphiles would love the amp for its speed and transparency.

Then i stopped in Peoria and listened to the Zen Anniversary amp and that just messed me up. That amp really amazed me, i thought about it for months after i had only listened to it for maybe 45 minutes. i had decided that 2 watts just wasn't enough for me because i listen to so much vinyl and like low output cartridges. But then i heard that 2 watt amp and i started saving money to buy it. Will it satisfy me? Not sure. What i'll probably do this summer is get the Anniversary mods done to my Torii Jr. and then decide if it is enough.  

All that to say, i'd start with the Torii Jr. Steve has reported here that he has made standard one modification that makes the Jr. even more musical. It won't get you to the realism of that Zen Anniversary amp, but it's still a great amp. And you can always get one with all the anniversary mods, getting you "half way there" as Steve told me.

Have fun!

David

IP Logged
livewire
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 05/07/19 at 01:53:09

Wow.  Thank you all so much for the quick and detailed responses.  Seems like a very nice community of music lovers in here.

@Hockissinkid I use mm/mi/homc interchangeably.  Down the line I will consider going down the mc rabbit hole but that’s for the future, and future funds.

@ScottNC thanks for the reccomendation about room treatment.  Anything in particular about the room that you feel makes this a better first step?  Is it the dimensions or location that gives you pause?

@dvl completely agree with you!  Digital is great for convenience and I’ve heard some very nice digital setups over the years, but well pressed vinyl done right is something else!

Thanks again to everyone who took the time to read and respond - I’ll do some more research into your suggestions before moving forward and may have some more questions for you 😀

🤘

IP Logged
Colin B
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 05/08/19 at 06:57:46

From a music standpoint I listen to a lot of metal on a TORII jr into a pair of DNA horns and while I'm not getting the full live show experience (as in, I don't need earplugs, I can't feel the hair on my arms move, I'm probably not drinking a cheap tallboy) it gets loud enough for me. The thing I particularly like about my combo is that while it isn't insanely loud or anything it is fast so you can catch a pile of detail. If you really want to feel your hair vibrate you might consider kicking up to the TORII IV or even the ZMA but the TORII jr is a solid piece of kit and is a good starter point since it carries enough oomph to be a solid contender, isn't terribly expensive in the grand scheme of things, and if you do decide to upgrade your audio den system it's a solid performer for either general home audio or an ear-bleedingly loud near-field home office setup.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print