03/29/24 at 03:06:23 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bridge Rectifier ? (Read 3550 times)
Brian
Seasoned Member

Bridge Rectifier ?
05/01/19 at 02:51:41

I do not see tube amps with 2 or more rectifier tubes.  There used to be such a circuit.  Perhaps it was only used for machinery of some kind and not music amps.  Has someone here used a music amplifier with a Bridge Rectifier? Does someone know why we do not see them today?

Brian

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Re: Bridge Rectifier ?
Reply #1 - 05/01/19 at 03:41:03

My limited knowledge would say that the circuit of the amp may only require one voltage, and that may be a positive voltage. Another design may require a negative voltage as well (some equipment uses both pos and neg), and this is where the second rectifier tube would be used. Certainly not fact, but just my guess.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Colin B
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 05/01/19 at 20:23:47

Rectification is the conversion of AC to DC so you really only need one device per circuit. Having a second would make no sense. Similarly, negative voltage and positive voltage are the same except for differences in reference points since at the end of the day overall voltage is nothing other than relative difference between some reference that gets declared "ground" and the output of the power supply, with overall voltage being simply output-reference. There isn't any difference in the actual power supplies, instead the difference is entirely in what your circuit topology is and while my circuit design skills are pretty rusty I'm fairly certain that you can use the same power supply (computers use the same power converter to energize both the positive and negative rails for example). As for usage, opamps need negative voltage (aka negative feedback) for stabilization, so any circuit topology that replicates an opamp will need it. But still, it's about reference points as opposed to actually being anything special.

EDIT: there are amps with two rectifiers. On here the mini torii, full-size torii, and the ZMA all have dual rectifiers. Similarly in other places. These are all true dual-mono amps with each input transformer and rectifier servicing their half of the chassis.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 05/02/19 at 00:51:03

Quote:
... and the ZMA all have dual rectifiers.

Unless I'm missing something, the ZMA does not use a rectifier tube(s).

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Colin B
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 05/02/19 at 02:21:09

It might not have rectifier tubes but it has to be doing rectification somewhere, presumably via a bridge diode on each side inside of the chassis, with smoothing done by the mega-caps.

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #5 - 05/02/19 at 07:18:23

The ZMA does not have rectification tubes, but rather uses  bridge diodes using Vishay Ultra Fast UF5408 rectifiers.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print