Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 18:05:28 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Things we've learned about tubes along the way (Read 16443 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Things we've learned about tubes along the way
04/27/19 at 12:39:48

I thought it might be interesting to start a thread sharing little insights, tips, realities we have learned and encountered in using our tubed components.

I'll start out with this observation: I've learned it is beneficial to change output tubes earlier than I would suspect. Steve has given good advice about this by recommending substituting a new set of output tubes and comparing the sound.

I use my amps a LOT and with low wattage push them hard and I used to think after a year or so I may need to change tubes. Well, doing a comparison after about 9 months I realize that the upper midrange and higher frequency output of the output tubes suffers and the tubes need replacement. Accustomed to the sound and tweaking around it I don't necessarily feel the tubes would need replacement, but the direct comparison shows without a doubt a fresh set of tubes brings decided improvement, especially in clarity and dynamics.

So my advice: check the output tubes status periodically, especially earlier than you would normally expect to, if you want the very best fidelity.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Re: Things we've learned about tubes along the way
Reply #1 - 04/28/19 at 17:52:40

I know there are exceptions, but typically how long do rectifier tubes last, specifically the Valve Art and others that Steve sells and utilizes in his amps?

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
armstdav
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 04/29/19 at 03:54:41

My experience is that rectifiers last longer than any other tubes in the chain. I have Mullard 5AR4s that were used for 1,000 hours before I got them, used another 1,000 hrs by me, and still test NOS and sound great. Same for my 5U4s. I don't have as much experience with the 274b, but the one I have has unknown hours and tests and sounds great.

I've seen people claim 10,000 hours+ for rectifiers, and I tend to believe them.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 05/03/19 at 14:55:54

I guess I have learned to keep trying different tube types because every once in a while you hit gold.  This requires investment and can lead to a lot of unused tubes lying around, but when you get a hit on a  good tube, its a blast.

You can reduce your risk by listening to people on this forum:

Mullard input tubes (Stone of Tone), 807 power tubes (Lonely Raven) and Aqua rectifier (Lon, et al) were game changing tubes for me.  Oh, and the OD3W power regulators (Lon).

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 05/04/19 at 20:42:55

What are some real pretty rectifier tubes that sound great , work well in Decware amps, and are relatively inexpensive?

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 05/04/19 at 20:51:14

The 274bs that Steve typically ships with amps.   Valve Art.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 05/04/19 at 22:30:57

Lon and all,
This is turning into a great reference post, nice job...
I just got my KT66’s back with a new matchup and a full set of originals of everything to have for backup. Almost ready to maybe take the “Sofia” plunge Smiley
Best,
Scott

TORII MKIV-25th,ZBIT,ZROCK2-25th,ZTPRE-25th,ZLC,DNA2's, REL S/3 SHO
MyTek Brooklyn DAC+,Sonore ultraRendu LinearPS,sonicTransport APi7 4TB
Woo WA6, Sennheiser HD660s
RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 05/04/19 at 23:55:19

Tommy,

Try the type 80 ST.  I tried the type 80 Globes and the type 80 ST.  They were close and you can usually find the ST type at very reasonable prices.
I still have a couple of AWV Super Radiotron Type 80 ST and these are quite dynamic.

Another on Ebay:

★ 1x (to 50) GZ32 5AQ4 5V4G U.S.S.R 1974 ● Matched Rectifier Tubes NOS/NIB ★

I tried these and still have a couple.  They’re pretty good and smaller than most.  Similar sounding to the NU Type 80 w/vertical ribs on the plates.  Both of these, the NU and 5AQ4/GZ32 are “Gentler sounding”.  I’d give the NU the edge but try finding them!

All of the above are usually very reasonable to buy.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 05/06/19 at 01:54:03

From Tommy: What are some real pretty rectifier tubes that sound great , work well in Decware amps, and are relatively inexpensive?

EDIT: Sorry, I tripped up, calling a 5V4GA a 5Z4GA, close, but different...corrected below.

I think a "good sounding" rectifier is pretty relative depending on system synergy and where you want your sound to go. There are so many variations in design, vintage and sound. So choosing one that goes in the sonic direction you want, in comparison to what you are using, could make or break how much you like it. For a 5U4G setup, like the CSP3, Zen, Rachel, and big Toriis, there are a lot of choices in 5U4Gs, and many more that are compatible.

If you are using a stock Ruby, or Valve Art, these are two different variations of that 5U4G-ST theme. If you like these, not a lot of change visually, but generally with more refined sound, are earlier RCA 5U4G-ST. I find the older ones tend to be more refined, but they can be nice into the 60s in their own ways. As far as those I have go, those with the big/thick black plates tend to sound bigger darker/warmer, and those with the slightly less massive plates tend to sound a little cleaner and less balanced toward bass. The lighter plates with top getters were my preference, to me more open, balanced and revealing of nuance.

From them, if you want to tighten/clean things up, and increase dynamics with spaciousness and fine detail, I agree with Joman, that the GZ32 type or Type 80 could be a good path. Most Euro made GZ32s are nice tubes, but tend to be costly. Other than the Russian GZ32/5AQ4 Joman posted, I prefer the balance of England/Holland made GZ32s, but you have to be diligent to find good ones relatively inexpensively, and those Russians are quite nice tubes...just not quite as refined to me. Worth a try if the type is appealing to your needs though.

5V4Gs are sort of American GZ32 "equivalents," different, but also dynamic, open and articulate, they tend to be in the neighborhood. Especially old fat bottle 5V4GAs can be pretty nice, while looking interesting too, and relatively inexpensive. Especially the ones with rectangle getters might be worth searching Ebay a bit. They tend to be quite clean, open and detailed, the older square getter ones I have going deeper and warmer while remaining dynamic and clear...Depending on what they are with, some of the type can be a little too clean. But often for even better value than the Russian GZ32s, they could be worth a try if you are looking to open things up with more dynamic articulation.

I like type 80s too. I have been using one in my CSP3 for a really long time. For cool looking, globes are well worth checking out. They are sometimes pretty costly and others not-so, especially if you only need one. The one I am using is a Philco with engraved base, cleaner/more open sounding than the Cunnninghams I have, but the Cunninghams are a good choice if a little more warmth is needed. This is the tube type Steve currently pictures in the 25th Zen. I think they tend to be a little less fine detail and dynamics oriented than GZ32s, but have a very nice spaciousness with these qualities present in a relatively convincing, balanced way.

I also like type 80 STs (coke bottle shape) Joman mentioned, tending to be tighter and more focussed sounding than the mellower, more complex Philco globes, but definitely family and possibly preferable depending on needs. Looking a lot like Euro GZ32's, made tall by the necessary adaptor, depending on taste they can be pretty nice to look at too. I have one Pope labelled, made in Holland that is my favorite, a little more focussed than the globe, but still showing ambient space and texture very nicely. Similar, a step further into focus but still pretty complex, and a little less dynamic, is an old Tungsol Type 80 ST. The Westinghouse I have sounds pretty good, but is just a bit murky down low and rigid for me, lacking a little of the complexity the others offer. But these are tell-tale signs of a new tube. It may be true NOS, not burned in, so hard to say.

For GZs and 5V4GAs adaptors are not needed. Type 80s need them, but they are pretty easy to get.

You can search on Ebay with 5Z3 to 5U4G adaptor and see if any suit you, something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-PCS-gold-plated-Adapter-for-5Z3-5U4G-80-5Y3-tube-SUB-...

A word of caution on the square hole 5Z4 to 5U4G adapters. It is possible to feel like you are fitting the pins correctly and have them in the wrong position, and then fry the tube. Best to look carefully at the pin spacing and sizes in relation to the socket spacing and sizes.

People who want the spacious dynamics of GZ32s, but with more power/push often go for Mullard or Phillips Holland GZ34...a similar, but bigger/warmer, more forceful sound than its electronically more chill little brother, the GZ32. They tend to be quite costly too, but with patience occasional buys show up. Preferring GZ32, GZ34 are too big and warm for me, but folks who love GZ34 likely find GZ32 a little lean. They are pretty plain looking little rectifiers, so may not fit your request, but a very popular "standard" for sound.

With similar tight bass and dynamics as GZs, and generally with quite a big spaciousness and good fine detail, is the 5R4GY type. Warmer ones I have tried are Phillips 5R4GYSs, a tube I personally could never get, finding it a little veiled. A wild looking, and very reasonable, Chatham "potato masher," also a little warmish, and not quite as open and detailed as some 5R4s, it sounds natural to me, open without a lot of risk of going too far. Stepping out from stock 5U4Gs or 274Bs it could be a nice shift into increased articulation with dynamic spaciousness, but not as far out on that limb as some others. RCA 5R4GYs are widely variable in price, sometimes pretty inexpensive. Some love them and others find them too clean. I find it depends on everything else. If the balance is really clean, the RCA can take it too far. But if you want to open things up, they can work well. I like the old pair I have, in my setup, slightly warm, dynamic and clear, but for me it rarely stays in. The most balanced 5R4GY I have, while being super spacious, is a Fivre I got from an English seller, a nice, big and open rectifier. Of these, I would say the Chaham, if the look appeals, is a good one to dip a toe in with for the type.

In the Torii IV I just replaced some rare 40s Telefunken RGN1062 globes (need adaptors) I have been using a few years, with some Sylvania fat bottle 5V4GAs (square getters). And a Type 80-ST Pope in the CSP3 in the place of the Philco Type 80 Globe. Combined, it is fast, open and harmonically rich...deep, warm and dynamic...in this setting anyway. First impressions, I had to adjust gains a little, but once tuned, I find it a little warmer, focussed, and more dynamic than what I had...to me really good warmth, the darkening touch not overwhelming spaciousness and fine detail, but richening it, and the focus not overly combining fine detail and textures. Sounds great so far in my setup.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 05/06/19 at 02:12:44

Great post Will! I've tried nearly all these tube types and a number of the brands in these types. . . and have a few boxes of them in the closet. My impressions pretty much match yours.

The interesting thing for me, my discovery of the last year plus, is the Sophia Electric Aqua 274B. It just seems the perfect rectifier for my components and their tube complements. Didn't want to come to that conclusion because of their price, but I just can't keep them out of the amps and preamps. I've bought four and I'm tempted to get just one more to complete all my rectifier needs. I feel they'll last a long time and continue to really bring all the other tubes into "being all they can be" . . . . And now they have a 5U4G. I'm tempted to try that. I'd recommend any of us try one.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 05/06/19 at 02:23:47

Thanks Lon. I have been tempted by yours and other's great reports on the Sophia 274Bs but just have not gone there. My tube interest has been on hold for modifications....Mainly due to wanting a consistent baseline while testing amp changes. Over more than 2.5 years of this process, I have replaced power tubes with the same tube type, and nothing else except to test how other tubes work with the changes. The amps more-or-less finished, the tube rolling door is opening up again! Thanks for the push. It might just get me off my butt to order some Sophias!

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 05/06/19 at 11:14:21

I understand--you're being systematic and methodical. I have no doubt that if you tried it this would be one of the big guns in your rectifier arsenal. I know you'll share impressions if you ever get around to one, and I'll be eager to read them.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 05/06/19 at 12:00:53

Thanks Will.  Very thorough.  What is the price range on those tubes?

I have RCA 5U4g and use them in my Torii.  But I think they are over $50 now.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 05/07/19 at 02:23:33

You are welcome Pal.

Since price was an object of Tommy Freefall's question, I chose rectifiers that can be pretty easy to buy. What I usually do is check a tube I am interested in on eBay, then if I find some at a good price I check to see: is it a highly rated seller; is the construction like I want, plates, getters, shape, etc; if a pair, carefully check, are they the same construction, plates, getters, glass, etc; are the test scores NOS or near NOS and closely matched if a pair; is shipping not too high... then I might buy them. But as, or more often, I won't find what I want for a price I am willing to pay, and come back now and then searching the same tube until something more attractive comes up. Many times, auctions with no interest have been a good bet for a very good deal...that is unless someone else is doing the same thing and gets it first, or bids higher. Not much for gambling, I prefer "buy it now," but especially for rarer tubes, I will chance auctions now and then.

I tried to track back to get a sense of prices I paid, but a lot of my tubes are from before 2017 where my eBay purchase history ends. I finally got a little smarter and made a PDF of my 2017 and 2018 pages to archive them. Now all I have to do is remember to keep this up!

I do on occasion, but rarely spend over $100 on a pair of tubes, and often much less, partially from looking into "off brands," types that are less known but compatible...and electronically compatible tubes needing adapters are often less costly.

For the rectifiers mentioned, I think I recall those Russian GZ32s I got were from a french seller, somewhere around 50/pair??? This tube looks like the same shape/construction to me, though is billed as a similar, 5C4S-5Z4G, $29 for 4!: https://www.ebay.com/itm/5C4S-5Z4-5Z4G-CV1863-Double-anode-Rectifier-tubes-NOS-V...

What do you think Joman?

Haven't you used 5Z4Gs Lon?

Many of the others that are relatively popular are wildly variable, like you have seen with RCA 5U4G-STs, many are getting expensive as rarity increases, but some still cheap, especially singles. I saw a single like I prefer with a top side getter for 35 recently.

Type 80 Globes could be found under $100 a pair delivered last I bought, and you can still find them with patience. I saw some nice looking Majestics the other day for 65 or so, but they sold while I was considering them. They seem to be getting sold down, but every so often new ones come up for sale at good prices. My Philco Type 80 Globes were about 35 each...I think singles can still be found in this range or a bit more.

Type 80 STs can be quite inexpensive, maybe 25-35 on average for a matched pair.

Apparently becoming rarer, 5V4GAs seem to be rising, maybe 50ish for a pair...singles often better.

I got a '57 Mullard Phillips GZ32, near NOS in 2017 for $20 in an auction, though that was far from usual. Mullard and Phillips Holland GZ32s tend to be high. I used them pretty much exclusively for several years, and I liked Mazdas and Belvu with double bottom D getters quite a bit, cleaner than the generally warmer Mullards, not necessarily better, but I liked them and they tended to be a lot cheaper being a less big name. I think these tubes are good enough in different amps that popularity continues as rarity increases, but worth checking now and then for the occasional bargains. A caution: Most GZ32s I have seen have bigger cathode tubes, the round part that looks hot when in use, two of them rise out of the plates and through the top mica. I got some really early Telefunken GZ32 with very small diameter cathode tubes and bottom foil getters, and they just did not work in my Torii...the heater/cathodes shorted. I never ran into that with the later tubes with bigger diameter cathodes.

Chatham 5R4WGY are pretty common at ~15-20 each. The Fivres I have may be sold out, not sure, but I think were about 75 a pair, maybe 90ish delivered from Langrex in England. RCA 5R4GY are really variable, but at a glance on eBay, a number around 75 a pair.

Hope this helps.

Will

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #14 - 05/07/19 at 08:37:46

will wrote on 05/07/19 at 02:23:33:
Haven't you used 5Z4Gs Lon?
Will

I don't believe I have Will. I would probably have gotten around to it had I not found the Aqua 274B, and probably will get around to that type if I bore of the Aquas in the future.

I mainly buy tubes from eBay as well, in a similar method. It's amazing how clearly different types and brands can show their "stuff" in these components! Such transparency and clarity!

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 05/07/19 at 13:23:18

Nobody has any opinions on the poor, old 5Z3? I’ve used them a lot as a viable alternative to the higher priced 5U4G. There are plenty of the used 5U4G on eBay; they mostly have scratches on the base from being pulled out of a television set. Back in the 1950’s if you bought an appliance you expected it to last a long time. A 5U4G in service for 10 years can test new but how long will it keep working? That’s what led me to the 5Z3 which you can find brand new in boxes for a fraction of the price of a new 5U4G  

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 05/07/19 at 14:38:00

Good point. I have not used 5U4Gs in years. But if I did, though a 5Z3 adds an adapter, the price difference and selection are interesting! Does it use the same pin setup/adapter as a 5Z4 and 5V4G? Do you have favorites you have found?

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 05/07/19 at 18:04:57

Are you all buying the Aqua Sophia 274B? Do you buy direct from Sophia? And what are your thoughts about the different warranties and prices?

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 05/07/19 at 18:25:13

I bought off eBay and think I got a lower price.  So far, no issues.

I think from here:  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sophia-Electric-Aqua-274B-tube-replacing-5U4-G-Western-...

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 05/07/19 at 18:27:20

I bought mine directly from Sophia Electric with 30 day warranty. I did not opt for the 1 year warranty. Picked up my two with a $10 off/each special by signing up for monthly emails. They are well packed & shipped quickly.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #20 - 05/07/19 at 19:10:38

I bought one from Sophia, and three from eBay. After the first I learned to trust them and went without warranty.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 05/08/19 at 01:18:54

Thanks folks!

IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 05/08/19 at 02:33:18

Will,

I bought both my 274B and 5U4G direct from Sophia with the 30-day warranty.  I did not check eBay for it, but no tube bailed on me within the warranty period so far, so my experience is relatively positive.  Therefore, I would not pay more for additional warranty unless its was only a few bucks on top of the price.

Cheers,

Alper

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rega RP6 w/ Ania Pro & Rega Fono MC MK4
Rotel RCD1070
Hegel HD30 & Copland DAC215
Fezz Audio Mira Ceti 300B, Decware SE84UFO25, Decware SE34I.2+ & Copland CTA405
ProAc D28, B&W DM630 & Rega RS1
Stein & BlackNoise filters
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
Showme
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 05/08/19 at 16:33:26

I bought my 274B Aqua about a year ago directly from Sophia. Absolutely no problems and it's so good I'm thinking of buying another for the stash. I also really like those OD3W's and they're dirt cheap.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 05/09/19 at 00:04:45

Thanks Alper and Showme, I appreciate the input.

It is hard to imagine things getting better than the rectifiers I have been using, but I have yet to have that thought hold true with my system. I think, how can it get better, and no matter how good it has gotten, it always can get better so far! With so many of you loving the Aqua 274Bs, I broke over and bought a slightly used pair today from a 100% liked seller who had used them a while himself in his Sofia amps before changing to Sophia 5U4Gs. A good buy, and already burnt in, even so, I would not have gone there had it not been for all of your comments liking the tubes and their reliability. So thanks!

Showme, have you played with VRs other than stock and the OD3Ws in your 25th? A bit different setup in the Torii, but I suspect similar effects, as the OD3W you tried showed, you sure can do a lot to fine-tune these amps with VRs.

Is it cool in the 25th to adjust with the OA3s, or is it recommended to keep them as is?

Finding stock OA3s (setting up and cleaning the power tubes in the Torii) too forceful for my tastes, I ended up with 40s Hytron OC3s (nicely transparent) and 40s-50s Sylvania made OB3s. Once I got the amp opened and speeded up to my tastes with other tubes etc, I liked the relatively mild, but meaningful OB3 level of toning back the OA3 best here and have used them for years. But obviously there is no right VR, each system/room and tastes being different, a nice tuning tool though in my experience. I also found I preferred Euro variations of OC2, 75C1s, this VR tube in the Torii cleaning and setting the voltage drop to the input tubes.

Anyway, maybe you've already explored this, but if not, like inputs, rectifiers, and power tubes, I think you will find different makes, vintages and shapes of the "same" VRs can be used to tune the sound, and more obviously, different voltages.

I love how Steve's amps offer so many tuning abilities!

IP Logged
Showme
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 05/09/19 at 22:11:56

Will, in my SE84UFO2 I’ve used type 80’s, 5U4G, & GZ32. Tried the Sophia 274B and like it the best so when I got the 25th I just moved it over pretty quickly. VR tubes for me have only been the stock OA3 and OD3W. I like the sound so I haven’t experimented much even though I have a couple of other VR tubes that came with it. The SE84UFO2 moved to the system in my cabin and I should upgrade it’s tubes. It just doesn’t get the playtime the 25th does.

IP Logged
Ellsworth
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 06/15/19 at 16:56:18

Thanks to this thread, I recently bought the Sophia Electric Aqua 274B rectifier.  What a nice upgrade this is over my Phillips R4GYS.  More transparency and a blacker background.  Needless to say, this is going to stay in the system for a long time.   I had also used an early 40s RCA rectifier to good effect but the Sophia Electric tops everything else I have tried.

At some point, I may try replacing the OD3 voltage regulator tubes on my 25th Anniversary Zen.  Does anyone have any recommendations on replacements and where to buy them?  Thanks.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #27 - 06/15/19 at 17:51:21

Really glad you are enjoying the Aqua! I'm sold on this tube as the go to rectifier in my components.

If you really enjoy the OD3 I recommend trying one of the "ruggedized" OD3W type.

I have tried Tung-Sol, Raytheon, Sylvania and Chatham, and like them all, my favorites are the Tung-Sol. I get mine from eBay.

IP Logged
Ellsworth
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 06/15/19 at 18:14:08

Lon, thanks for the note.  I enjoy your contributions on this forum as well as your listening to jazz and conversation thread over at the Hoffman forums.

I will give that tube a try this Summer and will report back on this thread.  I have never tired rolling the voltage tubes  so I am sure there will be some trial and error.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #29 - 06/15/19 at 18:36:34

Yes, I appreciate your participation in that thread. I'm glad I created it, it's become my musical forum home.

The "W" type tubes offer the same sort of improvement we find in the Aquas: blacker black background, and a deeper transparent "feel." I think you'll like it.

IP Logged
Ellsworth
Seasoned Member

Reply #30 - 07/07/19 at 14:59:16

I thought I would report back on rolling the OD3W tubes.   I bought some Raytheon OD3W tunes off eBay.   They were a definite improvement - cleaner sound and blacker background than the stock tubes.   The change was not nearly as dramatic as with the rectifier but definitely worth trying and not too expensive.

It never hurts to try something new.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #31 - 07/07/19 at 18:46:11

Glad you are enjoying them!

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 07/07/19 at 19:17:13

I used OC3Ws for quite a while in my Torii III. My favs were Chathams over some later Raytheons I tried, the Chathams more complex and subtle. I liked how it was a little warmer and smoother than other OC3s I had tried, presumably a lot because it is so well damped by design. Then I ended up liking 40s Hytron OC3s, also an especially good tube. At the time, the OC3W influence had become a little too smooth and warm for the tube set I was liking, and the Hytron was more lively with space, textures and nuances.

A filter for the "signal" tubes in Steve's amps, I guess it is not really surprising how much effect a specific VR can have.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #33 - 07/16/19 at 19:50:49

I have learned that electrical "treatment" and clean power are very influential on tube components and I feel I've learned to hear the differences.

I have three different power treatments in my systems: the ZLC line conditioner, the PS Audio PowerPlant Premier, and the PS Audio Power Plant P10. Each influences the sound of my tubed components in different ways.

I wish I had interchangeable voltage regulator tubes to roll in two of my systems because I believe these are excellent ways to fine-tune the system and find the "foundation" sound that works for your room and your tastes. In my main system with the P10 I'm fascinated with the interaction of the output tubes with the voltage regulation tubes connected to them, and how the output tubes regulation reveals (or obscures?) the sound of the input tubes.

Using these military version 6N6P tubes the OD3 and OD3W tubes produced sound that was too dry and thin. OC3 and OC3W. . . no. A rather lifeless rendition results. I had settled on OB3 which had a nice dollop of warmth and a very spacious sound. And I tried one OA3 which was too thick and rich.

But then I realized how different different brands and years of tubes make in these circuits and I tried other OA3s: two different RCAs, one older than the other, Sylvania, Westinghouse and GE.

It turns out that the older of the RCAs were excellent. "Just right" like Goldilock's pudding. So . . they're in. Now I'm telling myself "let sleeping dogs lie". . . again.

In the two systems that I don't have voltage regulation tubes to roll, I've learned how important power cords are once again. In my living room audio-video system I had planned to put my favorite power cords all around, the PS Audio PerfectWave AC-12. But for the Oppo UDP-205 I couldn't use the AC-12 as I could not make the "bend" inside the cabinet "slot" for the player. So I was using an Analysis Plus Power 10 cord that was far more flexible. All other cables were PS Audio AC-12. Well, I got great sound but there was a lower treble "glare" that was subtle but over time very annoying. Then I remember that I have a PS Audio xStream Premier Plus power cord in a box that seemed likely to be a better cord, and it proved just flexible enough to fit. . . and . . .boy did that make a change for the better, great sound without that "edge."

It's fascinating how tubes interact with power.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 07/16/19 at 20:18:17

Thanks for sharing Lon.  I have to look to see what I I am running for VR in the back.

My up front combo de jour is Mullard input, Steve’s power tubes, the OD3W you recommended and Sophia rectifier.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #35 - 07/16/19 at 21:24:11

Right, your input tubes are controlled by the 0/3 type, mine by the 0/2 type and I have to unscrew the top plate and have some silicone sealant handy to change them. . . I'm running an "0A2" type there, which is similar in nature to an "0D3" as it's the lowest value of that tube type.

In my system with the HR-1s the lowest value used to always work, and I use the low bias on both input and output tubes, but with this 6N6P the 0A3 seems the best choice, the output tubes like that "muscle."

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #36 - 07/18/19 at 14:28:06

Okay, I'm back to Steve's red-tipped 6N5P as input tubes and RCA 0B3 as voltage regulation tubes. There's just a hint of warmth and "romance" that a lot of the material I play use very well.

Now I'm leaving things as they are. Yeah, right. . . .

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print