Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 22:50:33 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Decware Amps Have the Power to Hypnotize! (Read 2651 times)
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Decware Amps Have the Power to Hypnotize!
04/27/19 at 04:37:19

We often have people over for coffee, wine, or cocktails and dinner. Of course I’ll have music at moderate levels in the background. Most normies have no interest in my gear, but there are the occasional exceptions.
A neigborhood couple came over not long ago. One of the doors of my equipment rack is open to allow the amp to get adequate ventilation. The husband notices and starts admiring the glowing Torii Jr. amp while it’s playing some chill jazz. He’s asking me questions about it. So his wife - who is a musican - and has even held little intimate private concerts in her home with other musicians - comes over to see what’s going on. After I explain what we’re all looking at the husband walks away to get another drink while she stays. I say something to her but she has gone totally silent. I notice she is literally staring at the glowing tube amp for a long time. Fixated on it as if she is in some kind of hypnotic trance. She is so utterly fascinated by it that she doesn’t even hear me speaking to her.
Then finally she seems to snap out of it and walks away to the bar area.

What have you done, Steve!?

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: Decware Amps Have the Power to Hypnotize!
Reply #1 - 05/15/19 at 04:19:54

I actually posted about this back when you wrote it, but now I see it somehow never actually posted!  Probably one of those nights when after a glorious composition you hit 'delete' instead of 'post' ....

First off, your description of her transfixed gaze is such a great visual... and yes I have it happen many times where even after hitting pause of the source, you still have to walk up and tap them on the shoulder.  Before we get too high on our selves, we need to recognize that the same thing would happen to someone who was raised on McDonalds food their entire life and suddenly found themselves eating raw vegetables out of the garden on a warm summer night under a full moon.

This also happens to people who watch a bond fire, or a camp fire, or a fireplace...  this is likely why they call tubs, "fire bottles"!

When you can actually see the glow of electrons and gasses inside the tube knowing that it is the actual electrons you are listening to... it takes it to another level.  You can stare at a solid state metal box all night and virtually nothing will happen.  Why is that?

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Re: Decware Amps Have the Power to Hypnotize!
Reply #2 - 05/17/19 at 00:00:28

We're going to be purchasing a new house in the next year. I might have to lobby my wife for a paint color that matches the orange glow of the tubes. For the hypnotic effect of course. It would have to work well in the low light conditions. I'll have to check the color wheel!

Home: Torii MKIV-25, ZP3-25, HR-1’s, ZLC, DSR, DHC-1, PSA DSD, ZRock2, SA8005, Zenstiyx, VPI Prime, Hana ML, ZMC1.
Work: SE84UFO-25, Schiit modi, Trapeziums, MacBook air, Audirvana aiff. Also have a pair of ESS AMT 1C’s in workout room with a cxnv2.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print