Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 00:12:24 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New PS Audio Super DAC (Read 32791 times)
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

New PS Audio Super DAC
04/14/19 at 10:36:39

Thought this preview might be of interest to some PS Audio fans here on the Decware forum. There is a good YouTube video explaining the two-box build design as well. Sounds like the DAC will be released some time in 2020.

https://audiobacon.net/2019/04/12/axpona-2019-ps-audio-obsidian-tss-dac/amp/

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: New PS Audio Super DAC
Reply #1 - 04/14/19 at 12:25:59

Some really interesting features to this DAC. . . . I saw these videos on the PS Audio forum. Going to be priced way out of my league, but should be amazing sounding.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #2 - 04/23/19 at 16:17:43

Yeah, I think Darko said the Obsidian was going to be $25k or something thereabouts.

Bummer - puts it well out of my league. I had to do 3 years Same as Cash financing to get the DS, even with the "friend discount" I got from Paul. LOL

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3 - 04/23/19 at 16:46:33

I wonder if the output voltage is better on this version? LOL

bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 11/06/19 at 20:19:06

PS Audio must be getting close to releasing the new super DAC because I just received an email with a link to a sale price on the current Direct Stream Dac. It's a significant savings! I have to say that I BIT on it and ordered one. I really wasn't ready to purchase something like that but the price blew me away. I ordered it with the Bridge II. Think it will be a little  better than the Sonos/Marantz streamer and dac? Ha Ha.

Home: Torii MKIV-25, ZP3-25, HR-1’s, ZLC, DSR, DHC-1, PSA DSD, ZRock2, SA8005, Zenstiyx, VPI Prime, Hana ML, ZMC1.
Work: SE84UFO-25, Schiit modi, Trapeziums, MacBook air, Audirvana aiff. Also have a pair of ESS AMT 1C’s in workout room with a cxnv2.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 11/06/19 at 21:30:36

Great news BH1! I have had the DSD for some time now. Some won't believe this, but it slowly comes into its own over weeks of use. . . . It took about 800 hours to truly bloom, though it would sound good long before--so keep using it and using it and one day your jaw will drop.

I can only imagine how the Onyx DAC will be when it's released. I won't be able to afford it, and I'll be afraid to read about it!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 11/07/19 at 03:29:22

Thanks Lon! I didn’t think I’d ever be able to afford PS audio dacs but it was on sale for 2900 bucks off! That puts it at the same price as a lot of other dac/streamers that probably aren’t as good. My Marantz CD player has a digital out so I can run it through the PSA. No need for a switch box yet.

Home: Torii MKIV-25, ZP3-25, HR-1’s, ZLC, DSR, DHC-1, PSA DSD, ZRock2, SA8005, Zenstiyx, VPI Prime, Hana ML, ZMC1.
Work: SE84UFO-25, Schiit modi, Trapeziums, MacBook air, Audirvana aiff. Also have a pair of ESS AMT 1C’s in workout room with a cxnv2.
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #7 - 11/08/19 at 00:05:16

Super happy with my DirectStream. And as long as Ted keeps tweaking the code that runs it, it seriously just keeps getting better and better. 5 years now it's been like I got handed a new DAC at least once a year!

bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 11/08/19 at 02:18:39

Great to hear. It seems like many people on the Decware forums have PSA stuff. I’ll probably set up a streaming/bridge network eventually. It would be great if PSA just included a streamer in it rather than a bridge.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 11/08/19 at 03:12:57

PS Audio is working on their separate streamer.

https://forum.psaudio.com/t/ps-audio-music-server-in-the-pipeline/3521/2

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 11/09/19 at 21:47:12

Wow, what is the retail on that bad boy if you already got $2900 off?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 11/09/19 at 21:53:45

That's about half off.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 11/10/19 at 06:06:50

Wow expensive, but not insane expensive such as Total DAC's TOTL stuff and many others.  So BH1 got a great deal no doubt!

IP Logged
MrDerrick
Seasoned Member

May The Source Be
With You!

Reply #13 - 11/10/19 at 12:54:43

I also received the offer via email, but I already have a DSD!
It is a good deal, maybe they are trying to reduce inventory on hand.
I recall when they ran a P10 special at around 45% off.
I bought a PW DACII from them for $1200 just before the DSD release.
Then bought the upgrade kit from Walter for $2,300, I thought it was a good deal.

1.4/1.5 MHz 20 Bit PCM Qobuz or SSD
HQPE - sonicTransporter i9
HQP Client - i3 Tablet
HQP NAA - Sonore Sig Series Rendu
USB > Holo KTE May > SA1X/47 > ZBIT > ZSTAGE25 > SE84UFO25
Avantgarde Duo Omega & Townshend Super Tweeters
IsoMax > Rives Parc > SUB225s
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 11/10/19 at 20:57:28

Yeah, they run some really good discounts and sales if you happen to catch them.  I remember I went to a preview of the DSD before it came out and Paul offered everyone in attendance 30% off. I couldn't swing it at the time,  but it made the price really hard to turn down.

IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 11/13/19 at 19:38:13

My PSA DSD arrived yesterday. I spent the evening listening to it. It took a while to warm up but sounded great. It has more punch and a stronger tonal sound so far. I accidentally turned it all the way off last night so I'll have to boot it up again tonight. It definitely set me back some cash but it's probably my only chance to justify spending that kind of cash on a dac. Now I'll have to start figuring out a network to hook it up to. I'll probably end up downloading my cd collection and set up a better streaming system than Sonos.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16 - 11/13/19 at 19:42:16

Glad it arrived! Like you I took advantage of the only opportunity I had to spend that kind of money on the DSD and three some years later I'm still overjoyed with the device and it has been getting progressively better. I use it spinning all my discs and I have also used it to decode the digital out from my DVR and Blu-ray player and I LOVE the sound!

Keep listening and it will get better and better. And congrats.

IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 11/14/19 at 04:31:21

Hey Lon. Its sounding really good tonight! I’ve been streaming but I’m going to put on a Charlie Mouse cd and see how the PSA DSD handles it. No regrets so far. A really nice piece of Audio machinery. I would never have thought about it except for the forum at Decware.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18 - 11/14/19 at 12:13:14

So glad you are enjoying it. It will keep getting better for a while. Keep playing it and swimming in the sound.

IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 11/15/19 at 01:51:53

Sorry to take over this thread but my DSD won’t talk to my Marantz SA8005 SACD player. The DSD window doesn’t show any bit rates. I’ve swapped optical and coaxial but that didn’t work. I can call PSA but when I’m home, they’re closed.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #20 - 11/15/19 at 02:07:09

I don't have any personal experience with that Marantz player but I notice it has both coaxial inputs and optical inputs as well as coaxial outputs and optical outputs. I've made the mistake in the past of thinking I was connecting to the OUTPUT of my OPPO when I was connecting to the INPUT.

Is the little light in the coaxial or optical connection window on the DSD red (no connection) or green?

I find that emailing PS Audio gets results. Try kevin@psaudio.com -- Kevin Jackson is sales but he's been very responsive for me and will forward your concerns to tech staff.

IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 11/15/19 at 03:06:22

The light was red on the DSD.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22 - 11/15/19 at 03:12:29

That means a connection is not being made. Be certain that you are connected to the output, not the input, of the Marantz. There should be no real reason why it wouldn't connect if the output of the Marantz is connected to the input of the DSD. . . . If that is the case and you have selected the right input on the DSD and there is no connection I think you should consult with PS Audio.

Also in some cases that light will remain red until a signal is sent so be sure to play the disc and see if the connection is made, or not.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 11/15/19 at 22:30:02

What about the price of the Super DAC have they thrown out any numbers on that?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24 - 11/16/19 at 13:49:15

bike happy, I hope you got it to work! Update?

Hans,
So far as I know there's not been a price given on the upcoming "Onyx" DAC. Speculation is around 20,000 among some posters.

IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 11/16/19 at 21:02:29

I hooked up my old jvc CD player via coaxial and it works just fine. I switched my Sonos to optical and it works just fine. It’s definitely something weird with the Marantz/PSA connection. I might have to take a long lunch at home and call PSA to try and fix it. Either that or the two aren’t compatible.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #26 - 11/16/19 at 21:26:31

Seems possible there may be something amiss with the Marantz digital output.  Glad the other sources are working!

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #27 - 11/16/19 at 22:20:56

Hey Bike,

I had an issue several years ago with a Marantz CD player. Check your owners manual closely. There was a setting somewhere that had the player muted. Look at the EX functions first. Seems like that had something to do with it.

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 11/17/19 at 16:09:23

Thanks for the tip Geno. I went into setup mode and turned “digital out” on. Viola! Apparently having digital out turned off keeps the glitter noise down. I’d still rather run it through the PSA.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #29 - 11/17/19 at 17:07:50

Good news!

IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #30 - 11/19/19 at 02:25:41

This dac is pretty cool! My system sounded great with the Marantz dac and it sounds even better with the PSA. It’s hard to characterize though. I’ve read reviews and it can influence sometimes. Also the preamp part of the PSA could be contributing to more punch. Although I have considerably less in my bank account, I’m still a happy camper. Looks like a ZRock2 is being shipped as I type. Sure is a fun hobby.

IP Logged
chumily
Verified Member

Reply #31 - 11/19/19 at 03:31:54

Hi BH1,
Just catching up on this thread.  How did you get notified of the sale on Directstream?  I checked their website and the Dac is full price. Is the sale still valid?
Thanks!

IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 11/19/19 at 05:35:11

I’m on their email list. I got an email with a link to a sale page with the offer and a password.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #33 - 11/19/19 at 10:42:38

Give the DAC more time, it will sound even better in a month! Congrats on the ZROCK2 shipping. . . that too will really benefit your system.

IP Logged
chumily
Verified Member

Reply #34 - 11/21/19 at 03:07:10

Does anyone have experience with how Steve's ZDSD compares to PSAudio's Direct Stream DAC?  I have the ZDSD today and I am building a second system.  I have been thinking of the Direct Stream although wondering what sonically is gained from Decware's DAC.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #35 - 11/21/19 at 03:30:34

chumily wrote on 11/21/19 at 03:07:10:
Does anyone have experience with how Steve's ZDSD compares to PSAudio's Direct Stream DAC?  I have the ZDSD today and I am building a second system.  I have been thinking of the Direct Stream although wondering what sonically is gained from Decware's DAC.

If believe there actually is a comparison on these two somewhere in the either in the Digital or General Forums. I think it was Busterfree (but can't be for sure) that made the comparisons between the two.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #36 - 11/21/19 at 15:51:16

Check "Stone of Tone" postings.  He was quite vocal in preferring the ZDSD over The PSAudio.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #37 - 11/21/19 at 20:07:32

Right. He listened to the PS Audio DAC about 80 hours. Most seem to think it takes 800 hours to sound its best. He scoffed at that. . . but many users experience indicate that many hundreds of hours make a difference. I butted heads over him about this, because I know how both the PerfectWave DAC that preceded it and the DirectStream DAC changed for the better with weeks, really months of use.

IP Logged
chumily
Verified Member

Reply #38 - 11/22/19 at 12:53:02

Thanks Beowulf and Archie, I have found some interesting threads in the forums. which have given me some additional perspective.  I am not sure I've stumbled across the ones you mention yet, but I will keep looking!

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #39 - 11/23/19 at 17:42:42

Quote:
...  I butted heads over him about this, ...

Yeah, Stone could stir things up!   Grin

We haven't heard from him in a long time.  I hope he's doing well.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #40 - 11/23/19 at 17:52:31

Me too.

IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 11/28/19 at 14:50:10

I’m loosing confidence in my new PSA DSD. It won’t turn off to standby. I looked in the PSA forum and they said to turn off the back switch and then turn it on while pressing the front switch. I did that and it came on upside down. Third time turned it back to right side up. The touch screen does not work well either. I’m really close to sending it back. This is BS!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #42 - 11/28/19 at 15:01:29

I leave mine on all the time, display off. I rarely use the touch screen but I've never had issues like that! The sound would make me put up with it though. I have the DMP in front of it for years now and I've never heard better sound.

IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #43 - 11/29/19 at 19:11:26

After a couple re-boots, everything seems to be working fine!!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #44 - 11/29/19 at 19:33:17

Good news! Has the sound been "evolving"? I've been tweaking and tuning around the Windom OS and getting sound that just amazes me.

IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #45 - 12/02/19 at 02:34:04

It’s hard for me to tell. It sounds so damn fine that it’s hard to hear the differences. Now that I have the ZRock2 hooked up with the dac, I haven’t been listening to vinyl as much. It sounds awesome though. Sometimes it sounds like the guitar is in the room with me. Tonight however is vinyl night.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #46 - 12/02/19 at 02:41:08

Well, that's great. I love the ZROCK2 with mine as well. I could hardly believe the sound I was getting tonight listening to a piano trio. Clean and holographic.Starting off with Windom is q great thing, I think I have been through about 7 software changes, all improvements. PS Audio and Decware are a great combination.

IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #47 - 12/03/19 at 02:19:23

I spoke with PSA today about the dac problems. They want it back. As soon as they see a tracking number, they are going to send me a new one. I’m ok with that. They also said that it takes 100 hours to burn in. Anyway, I’m listening to vinyl tonight!

IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #48 - 12/10/19 at 02:31:34

Today I received a new DSD from PSA. Everything worked perfectly right out of the box!!! The unit was set on low output rather than high, which I use because I’m running non-balance inputs from my streamer but the touch screen worked perfectly to change it to high output. It already sounds great and will only get better with more burn in. Bikehappy1 is a happy customer! PSA’s customer service was fabulous.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #49 - 12/10/19 at 11:21:26

That's great news. Now you can just settle in and enjoy the great sound.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print