Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 00:34:53 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
We're now past the 50 amp mark and .... (Read 9270 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

We're now past the 50 amp mark and ....
04/11/19 at 05:15:05

And... not a single return.

The bright yellow glow in the rear (OA3) tubes is the stored energy for each output tube.  You actually see it.

To have a power amplifier with each and every audio tube supplied by a series voltage-regulator tube to store and filter energy is well beyond what could be achieved in a regular amplifier with even the worlds most expensive power cords and power regeneration.

The purple glow you see in the tube just behind the front input tube is the stored energy for the input tube.  You actually see it.  You control this energy.  It's called ZEN.

When you look at all of this glass, plasma and excited gasses, the only way to conclude that solid-state transistors sound better is at the hand of a mental illness, unplanned hearing damage or indoctrination that blocks you ability to hear, such as your eyes, a spice program, calculator or high power solid state audio dealer.

You'll probably get three grand wrapped up in one of these and realize it was the best money you ever spent on audio bar none.  Considering people actually spend more than this for a Frikin power cord, you already know, God forbid what they may have spent on an amplifier, and you already know it sucks because your standard has been elevated so high.  

I loved the post that Lon made here on our forums stating how many times he tried to make a second system out of very respectable audio gear and found it impossible because his standard was so far elevated. That is the joy of this hobby, fast cars are no different...  You thought your car was fast because it made a lot of noise and squealed the tires -- right up until something else left you like you were standing still and disappeared into the distance.

Audiophiles are trapped in a never ending state of relativity.  How good something sounds is...

Happy listening!

Steve

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Re: We're now past the 50 amp mark and ....
Reply #1 - 04/11/19 at 23:38:35

Yes indeed...Happy Listening! Thanks for creating this amp!

IP Logged
MrDerrick
Seasoned Member

May The Source Be
With You!

Reply #2 - 04/13/19 at 21:37:02

I was number 50!

Currently 1 day past the point of no return and loving it.

Just wrapped up 5 hours of being deep in the Zen Zone listening to Steely Dan.

1.4/1.5 MHz 20 Bit PCM Qobuz or SSD
HQPE - sonicTransporter i9
HQP Client - i3 Tablet
HQP NAA - Sonore Sig Series Rendu
USB > Holo KTE May > SA1X/47 > ZBIT > ZSTAGE25 > SE84UFO25
Avantgarde Duo Omega & Townshend Super Tweeters
IsoMax > Rives Parc > SUB225s
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #3 - 05/15/19 at 23:06:47

Steve...out of the 50 amps built...how many have been configured with the beeswax caps as opposed to the VCAPS?  I am curious because this amp at Decfest blew my mind to the point that I have made the decision to pick it over the ZMA as my next amp purchase. Hopefully that will happen later this year.  

After reading the thread on the 25th first impressions, it appears as though most guys are seeing a noticeable sonic improvement after a few week break in.  Would that be more inline with the break in of copper foil beeswax caps?  

I still can’t get out of my head how engaging the amp was.  The ZMA was Ballsy....while the Zen was just sublime.  

Dominick

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 06/20/19 at 19:07:49

It  is hard for me to know whether to be sad or happy about my experience with my "new" amp. I did not experience the pain or pleasure of listening through a "break in" because mine is the original RED prototype amp! I continue to love it more and more on a daily basis!! More thanks to Steve than I know how to express!!! Happy Camper of the first order here. Smiley

IP Logged
Crowes
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 07/28/19 at 19:42:12

Please tell us how it is going!

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 09/02/19 at 20:43:37

Mine was the second amp built I think, among the first ones for sure.  I don’t know how many hours I have on it.  

I’ve been at this for the past 44 years and in that time I’ve had many amps, some well regarded names.  I’ve also had the opportunity to audition, quite extensively, amps that I could not afford, well into the 5 figure range.

I will simply say that I will put the Anniversary amp against any amp at any price that I have heard and non will equal it.  I have stopped auditioning and have absolutely no need or desire to start again.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 09/02/19 at 21:00:19

I think I had my Monoblocks before the SE84UFO25 amps were launched and shipped. Man I love mine. I agree, these are lifetime amps and so difficult to top. And they keep getting better (in part because they keep educating the owner!)

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #8 - 09/05/19 at 00:20:31

My SE84UFO25 is now a bit more than 1 yr old (ser# 22).
I continue to be amazed at the sound and the soundstage this thing puts out. [Truth - You definitely get MORE than what you paid for]

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 09/05/19 at 01:19:17

Yes, my 25th Anniversary Monoblocks are even a few months older and sound better week by week. (In part also because I learn how to get the best out of them, they're good teachers!)

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Tubecan

Reply #10 - 09/18/19 at 19:30:21

First amplifier that get's turned on before the coffee maker…anyone get the dustless version of this amp?..really,this amp won't get dusty.i'm in a 100+yo home so i know dust.

IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 09/23/19 at 17:59:09

Any idea how well this amp drives the ERRx speakers?

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #12 - 09/27/19 at 00:22:25

Quote:
Any idea how well this amp drives the ERRx speakers?

Tommy...I have the last year of ERR’s before the ERRx, and they are very similar in terms of efficiency.  I remember reading one of the member’s posts ( can’t remember who) who indicated that they were fine at regular listening levels, but if you wanted to listen at elevated listening levels, they would struggle.  

The ERR/ERRx need like 6 watts to really shine.  I guess it boils down to how loud you like to listen to your music.   I bet you would be happy with the pairing, but if you owned two of them and ran them as monoblocks....you would love them.

Last year was my first time attending Decfest, and I was soo impressed with the 25th, that while I would love the ZMA, there was something soo special about the Zen 25th, that I now have decided to make it Zen my next amp purchase.   

Decfest is like a week away.  Maybe you can make a request to hear the ERRx and Zen setup, and listen to it live streamed.  I have been listening the livestream for like 5 years now.  Steve does such a great job with the setup, that you won’t be disappointed.  

Lon runs the Zen Monoblocks in his setup, and can’t brag enough about them.  Definitely take his advice when he chimes in.  

Hope this helps.

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13 - 09/27/19 at 00:42:09

Dom set my reply up nicely.

I actually have an early pair of the ERR that are not in use at the moment, and two pair of HR-1s that are used in two systems.

There is a difference between these two speakers in how they react to the Zen amps, the HR-1 being slightly more efficient. The HR-1 have worked admirably in two different rooms, one larger than the other; the tonality these two create is lifelike and very pleasing (the ZBIT and ZROCK2 deserve a lot of credit too). I briefly tried my ERR with the SE84UFO3 Anniversary modded mono blocks and they sound great. . . but they do run out of steam in a larger or medium sized room and if not set up for a 7 or 8 foot triangular near-field listening situation they may not fully satisfy except with chamber music or small group jazz or bluegrass etc. The Monoblocks have an extra watt per channel in comparison with the SE84UFO25. . . so I don't think I'd recommend them for the ERR in general use. . . .

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print