03/28/24 at 13:32:07 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Super Tweeter (Read 27788 times)
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Re: Super Tweeter
Reply #50 - 05/20/19 at 14:05:51

I bought a handful of capacitors and have been experimenting.  I have enough to do a couple actual L-pads but have only been trying single resistors and having pretty good luck.  Seems they take the edge off while keeping the other benefits.  I'll continue to A/B.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #51 - 05/07/23 at 21:04:44

I occasionally run into the topic of super tweeter and I have considered purchasing some.  I found this post from a few years ago and I'm wondering what the state of super-tweeters is these days?  And, what is out there that is recommended.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #52 - 05/08/23 at 01:25:34

Over time I found it annoying. I instead went with a regular tweeter up firing, and that worked really well for adding air and sound stage depth.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #53 - 05/08/23 at 04:47:53

I’m glad that you clarified this in our earlier correspondence, Tom. I took it for granted that any tweeter added to open baffles would be a super.

By the way, Did you see Bas description of the PT-10’s at their audio show today. He stated that the highs were more extended when compared to the Silvers. And he added that the PT’s played a bit louder.

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #54 - 05/08/23 at 05:25:12

I am also following Bas’ experimentation and it gives me hope that the PT should do fine in an OB setting with help from either passive woofers from Lii Audio (I think Bas used the W12) or a pair of REL subs.  If the PT’s do highs better—it might negate the use of a separate tweeter.

Innuos Pulse-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE R2R-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-Project Carbon Debut TT-Schiit Mani Phono-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #55 - 05/08/23 at 15:17:40

Hey Kamran.

Soon, you will have mine and Tom's feedback on these. I'm hoping to hear very soon that the new drivers have shipped and are on the way.

Tom has been using a tweeter with his setup, so he will have a direct comparison for with/without extra tweeter.

Best,

Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #56 - 05/08/23 at 15:27:07

I think its going to be hard to match the air I am getting with these up firing tweeters.

I took them off while I butched the back of my baffles for to accommodate the P10s and haven't put them back on yet.  

I listened last night and the soundstage depth and airiness was greatly diminished.

A lot of tweeters go above 25Khz into super tweeterland.  Mine do not so you may not need that extended frequency range.  I will probably try some that go higher at some point.

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #57 - 05/11/23 at 03:25:07

Hey Pal,

This thread has me wondering about trying an extra tweeter on top of my F15s. I have a pair of Heil AMTs that I've never done anything with, so that might be worth a shot. What I'm wondering is how you hook your upfiring tweeters to your speakers. Do you run them wide open? Or do you limit the frequency in some way?

Thanks,
Randy

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #58 - 05/11/23 at 13:27:24

I have a cap on them.  I measured to see where the C10 roll off was and got the appropriate value to crioss them.  I’m not at home so I can’t check the value, but I just used an online calculator.  

My tweeter mounting stand can be used with my big Betsy’s so I also used the tweeter/cap when running those speakers as well.

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #59 - 05/12/23 at 03:38:46

Thanks, Pal.

I better have someone who knows more about this stuff than me set it up. I'd really rather not blow out my AMTs.

Randy

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print