Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 20:42:17 

Poll
Question: How many of you have treated a ceiling?

I have treated a ceiling with ABSORBANT
I have treated a ceiling with DIFFUSION
I have treated a ceiling with OTHER METHOD
I have never treated the ceiling of my Auditorium

« Created by: Brian on: 03/27/19 at 00:30:55 »

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ceiling Treating? (Read 8217 times)
Brian
Seasoned Member

Ceiling Treating?
03/27/19 at 00:30:55

When I see photos of treated rooms the treatment panels are on the walls but not on the floor or ceiling. I can understand on the floor would be a nuisance for walking, but might the ceiling be a surface which would benefit from absorbers or diffusers?

I thank you for the responses.
Brian

IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Re: Ceiling Treating?
Reply #1 - 03/27/19 at 01:55:00

absolutey, diffusion at least at first reflection points

IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/27/19 at 16:36:59

Makes a big difference in my room

ceilingtreatment.jpeg

TORII MKIV-25th,ZBIT,ZROCK2-25th,ZTPRE-25th,ZLC,DNA2's, REL S/3 SHO
MyTek Brooklyn DAC+,Sonore ultraRendu LinearPS,sonicTransport APi7 4TB
Woo WA6, Sennheiser HD660s
RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 04/17/19 at 18:51:11

I would love to put some diffusers on our ceiling but you have to pick your sonic battles with your spouse and I don't think that one would be worth it because I know I'd loose that one. She's excited for the HR-1's though. She's coming around.

Home: Torii MKIV-25, ZP3-25, HR-1’s, ZLC, DSR, DHC-1, PSA DSD, ZRock2, SA8005, Zenstiyx, VPI Prime, Hana ML, ZMC1.
Work: SE84UFO-25, Schiit modi, Trapeziums, MacBook air, Audirvana aiff. Also have a pair of ESS AMT 1C’s in workout room with a cxnv2.
  IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 04/17/19 at 21:51:11

Bike,
If you would be making them yourself (easy project)
perhaps she might like being able to pick any fabric of her choice for them? Just a thought....
Scott

RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 04/17/19 at 23:04:28

Yes! And I also thought about giving a couple to an artist friend of ours and see what she would come up with.

Home: Torii MKIV-25, ZP3-25, HR-1’s, ZLC, DSR, DHC-1, PSA DSD, ZRock2, SA8005, Zenstiyx, VPI Prime, Hana ML, ZMC1.
Work: SE84UFO-25, Schiit modi, Trapeziums, MacBook air, Audirvana aiff. Also have a pair of ESS AMT 1C’s in workout room with a cxnv2.
  IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 04/18/19 at 19:41:52

What are you fellas thoughts on the science behind this? Is it absorption or diffusion which is important for the ceiling? Any idea of why?

Brian

IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 04/18/19 at 20:41:37

Brian,

I can give you some advice as to what I did I. Researching my room. Draw up a scale diagram with all dimensions and doors and furnishings including wall, ceiling and floor finishes and materials. Then take a few photos and go online lookup GIK Accoustics, Dennis Foley at Accoustics Fields.com and set up an appointment for a phone conversation after you forward the backup material to them. I also spent time talking with Steve on this. All these folks are truly experts in the field and Dennis and GIK both can run computer analysis for you from the information, then give you suggestions on most critical to do and down the line. Sean Casey from ZU was also extremely helpful as I had some of his speakers at the time. These guys will probably amaze you as they did me, being that they all concurred, unsolicited on what best treatments would be the most effective, it will give you a lot of confidence in what to work on, plus it’s very rewarding and is really the only way to get the most from your equipment. If you follow through, you will surely reap the benefits. Hope this helps.
Best,
Scott

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 04/18/19 at 20:51:59

Thanks Scott.  That is a good plan.
For now I am only wanting to learn how all this stuff works.  
I have the Alton Everest "Master handbook of Acoustics", but I like trying to learn from here in the forum.  

Brian

IP Logged
producermike
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 10/10/19 at 05:35:55

I did absorbers on the ceiling of my home studio, they work really well because I suspended them from the ceiling so apart from being OC 503 fiberglass 1" they have 2" of spacing behind each panel.

IP Logged
producermike
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 10/10/19 at 05:38:29

Now my challenge is applying these concepts to sound reinforcement in our event management company because the event acoustic changes every time ... getting used to it Sad

Do you guys have any go to strategies that work in every environment?

IP Logged
producermike
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 10/10/19 at 05:43:54

We usually do very well with managing acoustics for the speakers, but sometimes struggle to get the entertainment to sound great even though our gear is top notch but even great gear doesn't make up for bad acoustics (visit site)

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 11/08/19 at 02:27:35

Hello Mike,
I thank You for the reply.
I had lost sight of this forum topic for awhile. Found it again today.

I wish I could advise on your questions, but I am still too undereducated on acoustics.

Brian

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print