Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 14:22:52 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ZLC Arrives and so does SOB MURPHY! (Read 3502 times)
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

ZLC Arrives and so does SOB MURPHY!
03/24/19 at 18:02:46

I received my ZLC Friday afternoon and after finishing up my "around the house" projects I tackled the new ZLC to get it into my system for the weekend. I must say the guys have upped their game in the packing and shipping dept. I honestly have never received anything so well packed and protected as the ZLC (not withstanding of course a $400 Pelican Case). After getting everything in place and reconnected, I fired everything up, picked some tunes and everything sounded great...for about 4 minutes, then total breakdown into complete distortion both channels. I shut everything down, rebooted everything and took another shot, all good then left channel distorts, right sounds ok. Shutdown, wait, wait, restart after beginning a tube swap first with the rectifiers (ha, last year I could not even have told you what they were!). Everything good then left goes again, move on swapping etc... get to the KT66's and swap the first left to right, restart right channel out found it. Put in my EL34's fired it up and no noise, just glorious music. The thing works and works well, it sounds exceptional. I felt for Arch when his fuses blew, sounds like he got it sorted with a response from Steve. I mentioned getting spares in my response to his posting and no less than right after that, I'm in need, luckily I had output tubes because I have no other backups, which will be ratified first thing Monday when I call to let Sarah know the KT's are on the way. I did have to open it up of course,  it's quite the transformer in there, I did a bit of dampening on the cover from the inside with an inch of closed cell foam, don't know if it'll make any difference but figured if Lon is putting brass elephants on his I'd do something, just cause it was open.
  Smiley!
I got an itch to put something in those 6 plugged holes, just because they are there, maybe a real faint blue glow or something when it's on, which will be always. I had planned to get it hooked up and run it a bit then bury it in the back of my gear on the floor, but I'm liking how it fits in and for now it's staying right up there with my other stuff. Bottom line, it is good, it is working well, and it sounds excellent. It does what it is supposed to and then some, another hit. I bet the ZLC and the 25th version of the ZROCK have pretty impressive order request in the upcoming year.

Best,
Scott

IMG_0245.jpg

TORII MKIV-25th,ZBIT,ZROCK2-25th,ZTPRE-25th,ZLC,DNA2's, REL S/3 SHO
MyTek Brooklyn DAC+,Sonore ultraRendu LinearPS,sonicTransport APi7 4TB
Woo WA6, Sennheiser HD660s
RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Re: ZLC Arrives and so does SOB MURPHY!
Reply #1 - 03/24/19 at 18:20:44

So, you had a coincidental tube failure?  Boy, that'll sure throw you when installing a new component!

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/24/19 at 18:26:35

LOL, Happen right after your deal so it really threw me!
I have to say though, I could not conceive how it could possible be the ZLC, but it sure had me wide-eyed for a few.
Scott

RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #3 - 03/24/19 at 18:48:05

It’s a good thing you have a monkey with a magnifying glass. I’m sure he was the one that figured out which tubes were acting up Wink

Beautiful set up!  I love the table!!!

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 03/24/19 at 21:11:10

Thanks Geno,
(And it was the monkey who figured it out, although his job is to prevent these kind of things...not just figure it out after the fact!)

IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 03/25/19 at 18:19:23

Scott your system is impressive!

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240