Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 18:43:24 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anniversary Beeswax Bypass Mod (Read 18125 times)
patchmark
Verified Member

Anniversary Beeswax Bypass Mod
03/24/19 at 02:43:42

Just looking for a little input on this mod as I am waiting for the 2 I have on order. I'm trying to understand how much better this mod will make the unit. I have only ordered the units with the standard caps. I did see an answer Steve gave in the Anniversary Mods for Decware gear thread but I am still confused if I have to get the copper caps and then anniversary bypass mod or can I just get the standard caps and the bypass mod.

My thought was because I might get a Zrock2 and I think I read that in order to get the mods on that I have to have them on this unit. Any help on that would also be great.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Anniversary Beeswax Bypass Mod
Reply #1 - 03/24/19 at 03:27:25

That's a good question. The price list only lists one option, the beeswax caps bypass, so my guess is that can be applied no matter which cap you choose. As I believe the standard caps for the amp are the Jupiter film caps and there would be no conflict. Steve would have the ultimate correct answer.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #2 - 03/24/19 at 06:14:17

When trying to decide between which coupling cap (stock cryo-treated beeswax or copper foil beeswax) vs. the beeswax bypass cap mod, the improvement to the sound of the amplifier with the coupling cap upgrade is perhaps as much as 10%. The Beeswax by-pass cap mod on the other hand will improve the sound of the amplifier by perhaps as much as 30/40%.

In fact, on a budget with older amps that don't have cryo-treated beeswax coupling caps, we can do a "poly bypass cap mod" at a very reasonable price and easily improve the sound of the amp higher than if you simply changed the coupling caps to beeswax.  An older zen amp with original caps can have the poly bypass cap mod for significantly less money and be 90-95% as good as the current production with the mods!

WWW   IP Logged
patchmark
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 03/25/19 at 20:43:52

Thanks for the replies Lon and Steve. I have sent Sarah an email requesting the Mods for both amps.

IP Logged
slop
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 03/28/19 at 23:44:50

I'd love to hear from anyone that had the bypass mod done and how it compares. No doubt it will be an improvement but please share.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #5 - 03/29/19 at 02:36:49

The bypass cap mods are a serious change for the better.  More detail, more stamina, more dynamics, better imaging, bigger sound stage.

The signal capacitors being type 1 (aluminum foil) or type 2 (copper foil) is meaningless by comparison.  That means that if you are on a budget and have to choose between the bypass cap mod, or type II copper foil signal caps, absolutely choose the bypass cap mod.

Hope this helps.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
slop
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 03/29/19 at 03:42:56

Steve that helps!

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #7 - 04/11/19 at 21:34:55

I sent my SE84UFO back for the mods last week. I'll post my impressions after i get it back and have a chance to listen to it for a while.

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 04/11/19 at 21:53:49

Or. . .you'll be compelled to tell us something right away! Wink

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
slop
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 04/11/19 at 22:10:49

That's exciting geno! And tell us how long the turnaround too please.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #10 - 04/11/19 at 22:20:54

I've sent two items in for upgrade this year. Turnaround was about 18 days at E. Peoria.

IP Logged
slop
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 04/11/19 at 23:59:32

That's not so bad  :P

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #12 - 04/12/19 at 05:51:48

I sent my ZP3 in for the mods about 5 weeks ago. Got it back 3 weeks later. Steve tends to the mods pretty quickly. And the difference is amazing!

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
slop
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 04/13/19 at 11:55:30

^ love to see this! Need to get my zen and zrock2 back to the mothership for the mods.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #14 - 04/29/19 at 19:16:37

Got my Zen back today. Sent it back for the anniversary mods. It was gone 16 days. Fast turnaround! Sounds damn good off the bat!  I’ll give it a few weeks and post my impressions.

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Joey

Reply #15 - 04/30/19 at 03:52:27

I've had my ufo2 back with the 25th mods about 6 weeks now. The main thing now is getting the thing to power off. It takes more effort to reach over and flip the switch, sometimes I just can't conjure the willpower to do it.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #16 - 04/30/19 at 14:50:20

Joey, has the sound changed much over that 6 week period?

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Joey

Reply #17 - 04/30/19 at 23:52:09

YES! It's subtle but noticeable until one day you just have that zen moment and can't do anything except listen and smile.

IP Logged
slop
Verified Member

Reply #18 - 05/01/19 at 00:16:05

For those folks on the fence - Thank you joey and geno

IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 05/25/21 at 15:18:40

Hi,
I have two questions on this topic:
1) On the long run which one will last longer poly or copper ?
2) When tight on budget, which is going to be the better, go for poly + good interconnect (which ones), or go for copper + normal average interconnect ?

I hope Steve could answer this, my cart is ready to go and I am itchy to clic on the button ! Tongue Grin

IFI Streamer - RME_ADI2_DAC_FS - SE84_UFO-2,1 - LII_F15 in Karlsonator DIY - Decware interconnect - DIY speaker cable - Thorens TD166MKII_Grace G707+A&R p77+Schiit Mani - FirstWatt F5 - Klipsch KG3 - Rogers LS3/5A - Leak Sandwich modified - Grado SR125X modified
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #20 - 05/25/21 at 20:03:33

My feeling is, on a tight budget better to spend money on the amp today and upgrade cables later as finances allow.

But more importantly, if you are serious about getting a Decware amp order something (anything) today to get your place in line. You'll have plenty of time to modify your order before it is built.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 05/25/21 at 20:17:36

Thanks for your advice which is what I finally thought this afternoon.
As I am in Europe, I would never send it back for modification, so I better order it fully featured now.

IFI Streamer - RME_ADI2_DAC_FS - SE84_UFO-2,1 - LII_F15 in Karlsonator DIY - Decware interconnect - DIY speaker cable - Thorens TD166MKII_Grace G707+A&R p77+Schiit Mani - FirstWatt F5 - Klipsch KG3 - Rogers LS3/5A - Leak Sandwich modified - Grado SR125X modified
  IP Logged
Arpin
Verified Member

Put a great stereo
in every space.

Reply #22 - 06/27/21 at 19:21:43

In the past I would have strongly recommended worrying about cables later, and to worry too little about them.

At present I’m listening to some 25 year old gear (amps, sources, and speakers) from England that I’ve owned for over 20 years now. I recently upgraded all the wires in my system to custom made pure solid core silver wiring with solid silver connectors for the interconnects and solid core copper (3N) for speaker wire. Total dollar investment was $250 to upgrade all of the wiring. The wiring I have replaced retailed for $6-700 back in the day. I have personally heard $80k cables and been largely unimpressed.

I am also somewhat lazy and prefer not to tamper or mod my equipment. In my near 30 years as an audiophile I’ve never heard anything that even remotely makes such an audible and significant upgrade at any price point aside from solid core wiring. The beautiful part of this is that you can test this out by making a $25 DIY solid silver cable with loose Teflon tubing and silver plated RCAs. On every system I’ve upgraded, the difference was massive. Every audiophile friend I’ve demo’d this too has been gobsmacked. The difference is profound and “corrects” the signal. The entire frequency response adjusts for deeper cleaner bass, more significant and liquid mids, and a cleaner top end that virtually eliminates ear murder from bad recordings.

In all my years as an audiophile I’ve never encountered something so obvious and clear. It is my personal theory as to why Decware gear sounds so incredible. Steve is prioritizing point to point wiring which keeps the signal on relatively large solid core wires. I’ve read that he uses solid core wiring for wire runs in his gear. And he makes and sells his own solid core interconnects.

I will personally never own interconnects or speaker wire that isn’t solid core for the rest of my life. The cost to performance is outrageous and the solid core wiring can vitalist even the most mundane equipment. No matter where you are in your gear just experiment with a simple $25 DIY silver core and silver plated RCA set. You might not be able to believe your own ears. It’s so obvious that my 8 year old daughter was able to accurately describe the difference in sound without me telling her what I had done.

Exposure Super XV, Exposure CD (original), Rega Planar 3 (1986 - solid silver rewire), Dynavector DV20XH, Neat Acoustics Mystique II, DIY solid silver interconnects, DIY solid copper speaker wire.

Panasonic multibit, Verum, Etymotic, Elac, Pioneer, Schiit
  IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 06/27/21 at 22:51:58

Arpin
You are talking for interconnect I guess ?

IP Logged
Arpin
Verified Member

Put a great stereo
in every space.

Reply #24 - 06/30/21 at 22:30:40

I'm talking about both interconnects and speaker wire. My starting assumption was that there was no way DIY cables could sound as good as my $400 interconnects or $200 speaker cables.

$25 24gauge silver wire silver soldered to cheap silver plated RCAs proved me dead wrong on the interconnect front.

I looked into doing DIY silver speaker wires, but didn't feel like spending $1000. So instead I bought 99.9% solid 10 gauge copper and some 7 gauge Teflon tubing.

I hooked up one speaker, and it was like turning up the volume and detail at the same time. It was astonishing. Hooked up the other speaker, and got my first taste of truly holographic imaging.

So I decided to go all out on my interconnects and purchased solid silver RCAs with 20gauge silver wire ($90). Then I purchased solid silver cartridge clips, 30 gauge silver wire, and more solid silver RCAs ($110) and completed a very nerve wracking tonearm rewire.

Each time I sit down now to listen I am stunned. Even my mono LPs sound incredible now. CD sounds like LP. And LP is often jaw dropping. Had a jazz album on in which I could easily hear the drum kit lay out. Each symbol, each drum had precise and repeatable acoustic placement. I've heard about this, read some stuff on this forum like this, but never really understood what people were going on about.

It feels joyfully humbling, after all these years as a audiophile, as a hifi salesman, with friends in the business, I'm hearing my personal stereo do things that I haven't heard on $500k systems. I've sat through cable demos, done professionally at company headquarters, and again with my friends, where we would bring in $40k interconnects and compare them to $400 interconnects. Most of the time the difference was barely audible, which is why I long held the belief that cables were important, but clearly the least important aspect of a hifi system.

Being so wrong after so many years is exciting because now I get to enjoy most of my albums like I'm hearing them for the first time. I hear nuance in the music that I had absolutely no idea was there despite owning certain albums for near 30 years. Albums that I thought were recorded poorly now have qualities that are suddenly beautiful, and certainly solid core wiring won't make a bad recording good, but there are many times where it does feel like this is what is happening.

Exposure Super XV, Exposure CD (original), Rega Planar 3 (1986 - solid silver rewire), Dynavector DV20XH, Neat Acoustics Mystique II, DIY solid silver interconnects, DIY solid copper speaker wire.

IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 07/01/21 at 09:53:25

That's right, thanks for the confirmation, you are not using silver for the speakers but copper. I was wondering where you could get it and the price would have been to the roof !

IP Logged
Arpin
Verified Member

Put a great stereo
in every space.

Reply #26 - 07/01/21 at 16:15:43

I’ve been using Tempo Electric. I can’t even remotely afford his personally made cables. But I can afford his DIY silver wire. The next piece of the puzzle was to find cheap options for solid silver RCAs. There is a style of RCA with just a tab of silver called Eichman bullets. The idea is to focus the return signal on ground through a single point reducing stray induced EMFs caused by having a circular-ish return signal around your positive lead. I found some pure silver alternate versions from Hong Kong on eBay to save a few dollars. They were a significant step up from silver plated options.

The working theory is that one is supposed to maintain an air layer around the wire, reduce metal-metal transitions to a minimum, reduce solder points to a minimum.

For my speaker cables I purchased Viborg pure copper bananas (also from Hong Kong). These attach without solder to the 10gauge speaker wire. On my bedroom system I use bare copper wire which should be more optimal than bananas or spades because of fewer electrical transfer points. Would have done this on my main system but both the speakers (weird angle) and amp were banana only.

My biggest freak out was irrevocably removing wire from my tonearm. Frankly I’m a bit lazy and hate doing DIY anything. But this solid core stuff is so amazing that it was well worth the effort. Plus when CD is sounding better than vinyl for the first time ever, I had to do something to try and save vinyl. Now my vinyl is giving me that crazy imaging and soundstage that just surpasses digital. But CD via a multibit player is still wow after wow.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print