Send Topic Print
ZLC (Read 10526 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: ZLC
Reply #50 - 04/08/19 at 03:46:41

The problem you are having is caused by a pulsating DC offset on the electrical mains of your house.  It happens when someone uses a hair dryer or electric heater with high/low settings and operates it on the low setting.  The low settings are achieved by using a diode in series with the heating element which causes a pulsed DC offset on that circuit.  It wouldn't matter if you have things plugged-in to the ZLC or not.  Large toroidal transformers are the first to complain (hum) when there is a unresolvable problem on the AC line, such as pulsating DC offset.

When I say unresolvable, I mean from a sonic standpoint.  Many smaller devices in your home while equally effected, are perhaps 10 times harder to hear the DC offset on so the problem goes un-noticed.

The effect is particularly bad when the offending heating device is on the same circuit (breaker) as the transformer. That said, it is also possible for it to happen when a neighbor uses a hair dryer, so it may not even be in your own home.

Toroidal transformers are particularly sensitive to this due to their efficiency and the larger the transformer the more you'll be able to hear it happen.

Basically the ZLC is letting you know there is an issue with the power feeding the outlet it is plugged into, and issue that even if you weren't using a large toroidal isolation transformer would still be there poisoning your sound, making things flip from sounding great to less than great and back again.

No harm will come to the ZLC from a situation like this, but it certainly warrants trying to find the cause because it would be too distracting to ignore.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #51 - 04/08/19 at 16:16:00

Does the ZLC cancel out this noise/problem or just hum to show it's there?

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #52 - 04/09/19 at 02:50:55

ZLC is in the house and all hooked up!! No hums, nothing blew and the ZP3 is quiet as a mouse! The sound’s damn good too!

Home: Torii MKIV-25, ZP3-25, HR-1’s, ZLC, DSR, DHC-1, PSA DSD, ZRock2, SA8005, Zenstiyx, VPI Prime, Hana ML, ZMC1.
Work: SE84UFO-25, Schiit modi, Trapeziums, MacBook air, Audirvana aiff. Also have a pair of ESS AMT 1C’s in workout room with a cxnv2.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #53 - 04/09/19 at 09:02:52

Congrats BH! Glad you have it and it's delivering the goods.

My ZLC is no longer feeding my P10 in my main system. Though I think there was a subtle improvement in the sound overall, I remained troubled by the 5 extra volts that it is seemingly transferring to the P10 and the resulting doubling (ha! from .1 to .2 percent!) of the noise in the regenerated power caused by the P10 working to reduce the output voltage during regeneration (or whatever). So rather than be concerned daily, I put it back in the headphone-only system.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
DyersEve726
Verified Member

Reply #54 - 04/16/19 at 17:10:39

I just received my ZLC yesterday. My first Decware product. It looks and feels impressive, but it immediately tripped breakers on two different outlets on two different panels. After several tries at this, it's completely dead. Both fuses are burned out. I never even got to plug any devices in. I've yet to receive an email back, but either I got a dud or it's somehow unusable in my home. This sucks Sad  I have a $900 paperweight.

IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #55 - 04/16/19 at 17:17:04

Did you check through the posts on page one here, might help you if you have not
Scott

TORII MKIV-25th,ZBIT,ZROCK2-25th,ZTPRE-25th,ZLC,DNA2's, REL S/3 SHO
MyTek Brooklyn DAC+,Sonore ultraRendu LinearPS,sonicTransport APi7 4TB
Woo WA6, Sennheiser HD660s
RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #56 - 04/16/19 at 17:28:13

Same issue I originally posted about.  Steve sent me some fuses and I have been successful at getting things started by first turning off my breaker and then plugging the ZLC into the wall.  I hook everything up and then turn the breaker on and then turn on the individual ZLC switches.  Steve said the toroid can pull a load at plug in that will trip the breaker.  I'm not sure why the fuses blow but I haven't had the problem since my initial startup attempts and following  my startup procedure.

Now that there has been a second startup event with blown fuses, I would think Steve ought to consider including extra fuses with the ZLC.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #57 - 04/16/19 at 17:31:29

Call Decware. Talk to Sarah, I'm sure they will make things right. They do come with a lifetime warranty. Sorry to hear about this.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #58 - 04/16/19 at 18:05:21

Yes, get a call in to Steve. I've had mine trip my breaker once when I relocated it after trying it out a third time with my main system, but not blow a fuse yet at all. But house and apartment wiring can be quite different, different loads etc.

I'm pretty certain Steve can guide you to a method that will put the ZLC into use, and that you'll enjoy it a lot when you have. . . .

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
DyersEve726
Verified Member

Reply #59 - 04/16/19 at 18:09:42

I've sent an email to Sarah. I'm not able to call at the moment, unfortunately. The one outlet it DID work on was in my kitchen and it's a dedicated outlet for my microwave and toaster. I'm thinking I need to start it up on a breaker with absolutely nothing plugged in. When I get my replacement fuses, I'll go through and find all the outlets on the breaker before plugging in. Such a long wait for disappointment, so I hope I can get it going.

IP Logged
ZZuZZaXX
Verified Member

Reply #60 - 04/16/19 at 18:12:04

Wow, interesting developments with the ZLC.
I want one but I'm afraid of it at the moment.
I live in an older house and I'm not sure it could handle the jolt.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #61 - 04/16/19 at 18:15:32

I wouldn't be too scared. I live in a house built in 1919 and not a lot of modern wiring and I've had one breaker trip, no fuse blowing, and have moved the ZLC about seven times.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #62 - 04/16/19 at 19:03:22

I think the plugging in of the ZLC can cause a breaker to trip but I think if there is an active load on the ZLC as well, it can cause the fuse to blow.  That's why I think having all the switches off and nothing plugged it to it when the breaker is turned back on is the safest.  In fact, turning the breaker off and then plugging the ZLC in seems the "safest."  I have a nearly dedicated circuit (just a single hospital grade outlet and some small task lights in front of it).

Lots of "I think" in this post since I can't say for sure.   Wink

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
DyersEve726
Verified Member

Reply #63 - 04/16/19 at 19:45:23

I didn't have anything plugged into it at any point and all switches were off for good measure. First outlet had a PC on the same breaker. The other only had some phone chargers and other random devices idling on it, but that's it. I also tried flipping the breaker while the ZLC was plugged in and it immediately popped back Undecided Not sure when the fuses blew, but never had anything plugged in.

IP Logged
ZZuZZaXX
Verified Member

Reply #64 - 04/16/19 at 20:46:35

You have to turn off your breakers, plug in the ZLC, and the turn the breakers back on?  WOW!

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #65 - 04/16/19 at 22:07:50

As with any larger TOROIDAL transformer, which the ZLC is, the turn-on surge is determined by chance. The surge can be literally ZERO, or all the way up to 8 or 10 amps. As explained earlier, it is determined by the state of the AC sign wave at the wall outlet, be it positive or negative the closer it is to the zero crossover point when you flip the switch the larger the surge will be.

I have turned them on and off here at the shop 250 times and seldom see a surge exceed the fuse rating.

If you are blowing breakers instead of the 8 amp supplied fuses it simply means that you have already got a significant load (7 amps or more) on that breaker.

There is no reason to turn the unit on first and then flip on the breaker... If you're blowing the breaker, shed some of the existing load on that circuit by unplugging other appliences or lights before you plug-in the ZLC.  

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
DyersEve726
Verified Member

Reply #66 - 04/16/19 at 22:20:50

There's no way I had 7 amps being drawn when I tried it. Nothing more than a couple android chargers (with nothing charging) were on the circuit and I reset the breaker three times. Besides that, the internal fuses blew also. I emailed you and Sarah and got no response today. I'm willing to try it again with new fuses and absolutely nothing else plugged in to the circuit, but at this point, I'm unhappy with the situation and the response. An email would be appreciated.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #67 - 04/16/19 at 22:40:49

I hear your frustration, seems that the thing should work when you plug it in far more easily than it is now. (Mine, #2, does).  Hope you get some more fuses (10 amp would help) and get a communication from Sarah or Steve. Emailing the office is hit or miss. Three of my last four emails have gone unanswered. They are more responsive to phone calls and voice mails. . . . That just is what it is or is what it has been. It's not a large outfit working round the clock.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #68 - 04/16/19 at 23:37:49

Steve,

Despite what you've written, I popped my 20amp breaker more than once with nothing else plugged into it when just plugging in my ZLC.  If the toroidal surge is the culprit then it must be big.  I do have those Leviton surge protect outlets installed which might, in my case, make a difference.  The reason I've turned off the breaker before plugging in the ZLC is that it saves a step (since it pops the breaker anyway) and seems to offer protection to the fuses during plug-in/turn-on.

My steady state operation has been flawless.  I leave everything on at the device and just turn the ZLC switches on and off.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #69 - 04/17/19 at 04:57:04

Quote:
There's no way I had 7 amps being drawn when I tried it. Nothing more than a couple android chargers (with nothing charging) were on the circuit and I reset the breaker three times. Besides that, the internal fuses blew also. I emailed you and Sarah and got no response today. I'm willing to try it again with new fuses and absolutely nothing else plugged in to the circuit, but at this point, I'm unhappy with the situation and the response. An email would be appreciated.

We have, after seeing your post, shipped you additional fuses.  At this point an email isn't going to solve the problem, but a phone call possibly might. Once you get the new fuses if you have additional issues, we will offer to replace it and reset the 30 day trial. We can send a new one out within 24 hours of receiving yours if need be and would be happy to do so.

Thanks,

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #70 - 04/17/19 at 16:20:57

Wow, if every business had this level of CS, what a wonderful world it would be!   Cool

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
DyersEve726
Verified Member

Reply #71 - 04/18/19 at 23:55:21

I'm happy to report that I got some fuses today and gave it another go. I verified every outlet on the circuit and unplugged everything from them. It, again, tripped the breaker. I left it plugged in and reset the breaker and it finally stayed on the third time. Once everything was turned on, I put my ear up to my amps and DAC and was thrilled to hear...nothing! I'm used to everything in my rig exhibiting transformer whine. I definitely hear some improvements in the audio, but can't exactly put my finger on what.

Anyway, I apologize for getting upset. It's definitely doing what it's supposed to now Smiley however, I do think that it's a little ridiculous to have to go through so much just to get a power conditioner working. If this issue can be addressed somehow, I think it should be. Inrush current limiter?

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #72 - 04/19/19 at 00:57:41

Glad it's up and running.  Breakers can get weak with age.  Mine always reset without tripping but once running, I try not to touch it!

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #73 - 04/19/19 at 05:20:52

Quote:
Anyway, I apologize for getting upset. It's definitely doing what it's supposed to now Smiley however, I do think that it's a little ridiculous to have to go through so much just to get a power conditioner working. If this issue can be addressed somehow, I think it should be. Inrush current limiter?

First of all I'm happy you had the persistence to stay with it and am most certainly pleased you're getting good results!

Your idea of an in-rush limiter is valid.  I considered it during the development but it requires a circuit and a relay to accomplish the task and I hate to put the large transformer on the contacts of a relay if we don't absolutely have to because it will A) possibly not sound as good and B) offer a failure point for the unit that may some day need replaced.  

The only way to see if this will be required is to get a lot of units out there and see what percentage has startup problems like you had.  So far I know of 3 out of 50, which is 6% so we'll be keeping an eye on things.

I like the idea of leaving it plugged-in and flipping the breaker now that I think about it, as you are already down there at the panel making it easy to flip the breaker a couple times in a row.  I mean the odds of turning on the breaker more than once at the crossover point in the AC cycle is pretty low and I doubt anyone could make it happen more three times in a row!  Like I said, I have done it here at least 250 times and yet to pop a breaker, and have only seen a turn on spike exceeding 8 amps a few times.

This is how we know Father Murphy was not only an audiophile, but his stereo sucked and cost too much, so now in the spirit world he takes it out on all of us with truly great sound.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #74 - 04/20/19 at 00:22:10

I think the first time I popped a breaker, the fuses didn't blow.  I'm not 100% sure but if so, that seems really odd.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #75 - 04/20/19 at 04:22:04

The breakers are apparently faster than the fuses in some cases, or they are just getting touchy.

WWW   IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #76 - 04/20/19 at 18:16:45

If anything were suspect it'd be the breakers.  I've seen old Cutler Hammer breakers not trip with wires intentionally crossed into a dead short.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
atacgene
Verified Member

yah!

Reply #77 - 04/22/19 at 23:20:48

Damn it. I got mine today and just as predicted by some of u guys, the circuit broke and my 8 amp fused were blown after i plugged it in. The funny thing is. It worked the first time but when I plugged it to different outlet the fuse blew! What to do? Get new fuse and turned off the breaker and then plug in the ZLC and hope for the best ? Change to 10 amp Ruse ?

IP Logged
atacgene
Verified Member

yah!

Reply #78 - 04/22/19 at 23:23:41

Also plugging it to a powe strip with surge protector would help? But thar is another additional connector that may degrade the sound ?

IP Logged
DyersEve726
Verified Member

Reply #79 - 04/22/19 at 23:28:43

I ordered these and they worked well for me. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0183EQL8Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_V8JVCbHPRBW7M

Remove everything else that's on that breaker before trying again. I only had success when flipping the breaker while it was plugged in. Still took a few tries though. Good luck. It works great when it works!

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #80 - 04/23/19 at 00:20:33

atacgene,

That's exactly how mine went when I first got it.  I am using 8A fuses but I power off the circuit before plugging the ZLC in.  Once everything is hooked up I turn the breaker back on and only then do I turn the ZLC switches on.  That's worked for me the few times I've had to disconnect it.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
ZZuZZaXX
Verified Member

Reply #81 - 04/23/19 at 18:40:23

Wow, this is a product I really, really want but I just see me plugging it in and then there's an explosion. I know, extreme, but still. I'd be paranoid about it all the time. My wife would freak.

IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #82 - 04/23/19 at 18:44:05

An explosion?   Smiley

Scott

RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #83 - 04/23/19 at 19:02:47

I've been following along with the ordeal some of you've been having.  I'm sure the ZLC is a great product but I've been happy with my Running Springs Conditioners (Jaco and Haley) for over 4 years.  No problems, just plug and play.  I've been watching for another on ebay cheap but so far too pricey or the older model...  

https://www.audaud.com/the-running-springs-jaco-ac-power-conditioner/

http://www.tonepublications.com/review/running-springs-audio-jaco-power-conditio...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #84 - 04/23/19 at 23:45:21

I’m not trying to make light of the problems that a few others are having, but I’ve had mine for a month or so, and all I did was plug everything in to it and plug it in to the wall, and have had no problems at all. For prospective buyers to consider.

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #85 - 04/24/19 at 01:24:31

Hey, let's not make more of this than it is.  Mine too runs flawlessly and with tangible benefits.  Yeah, blowing fuses in the beginning was a bummer but that was a minor thing overall.  I still think Steve ought to modify the manual and ship the ZLC with extra fuses.  I think all of my other Decware came with an extra fuse in the holder.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
atacgene
Verified Member

yah!

Reply #86 - 04/25/19 at 04:21:42

Finally the fuse arrived today, (I can't find the 10 Amp fuse in Home Depot, ??!!) and now the ZLC is working nicely. I did not need to shut down the breaker before plugging in (I forgot) and this time no fuse or breaker problems.  
Quick impression, mainly from vinyl rig that i am listening to last few days there is perhaps a wider soundstage and  better stage, more 3D imaging/air. but this is based on memory since I can't do A/B comparison, as I use all Decware tube gear. Only the Turntable, Decware Torri Jr and Z Stage is plugged into the ZLC.  The phono stage remains with the old isolator ($150).

I then switched to CD player --> DAC, all plugged to ZLC. Again only from acoustic memory, there is a bit smoother/analogue feel, perhaps also better sound stage. Since I have not listened to CD for at least few days it is harder to compare.

Will report more later.

Any reason why Steve sent these units with  8amp fuses instead of 10 Amp ? I am confused, esp the unit states only "use 10 Amp fuse". If 10 Amp fuses are there to begin with then there would be less fuss.
I hope Decware would spend more time on post production testing, perhaps. sending to customers to test out. I had same issue with fuses with Torri Jr, kept blowing the 2-3 amp fuses until he told me to use 5-6 amp.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #87 - 04/25/19 at 15:49:23

Steve's explanation of his use of 8A fuses is that if you blow the fuses (in normal use) you can go up to 10A now knowing that you are close to maximum.  With all 6 ports used on mine, I'm only up to a few amps.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
atacgene
Verified Member

yah!

Reply #88 - 04/27/19 at 04:22:11

So I suppose some would be fine using 8 amp ?

Anyway I am running  10. amp, using all 6 plugs now. I am currently running multi-channel on my SACD player so all 6 receptacles are used, working flawlessly. All the preamp/amps are also connected the ZLC, except for the power amp for the rear channel.
based on tonight's evaluation (from memory, no A/B) there is a better sense of space, less fatigue sound, the sound stage has moved back, less forward, giving more air and so the balance is more natural. The center channel usually has some issue of being a bit too forward but now this effect is less.
There also seems to be a quieter background/lower noise floor because my L/R channel is known to be defective (old SACD player) but now it seems this noise is lower with better S/N ratio. Or maybe I am able to listen to music at lower volume with better results now?

Does the ZLC require some burning in to get better ?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #89 - 04/27/19 at 11:08:53

I'm using an 8 amp fuse and have not blown any fuses. I did trip the breaker once. . . . Not turning on or plugging in, just shortly after I put it in use after relocating it, a few minutes afterwards. Nothing since.

I'm using a 32" Sony TV, a DVR, a massive Denon universal player and a Taboo Mk III in this system. I was using a PS Audio Power Plant Premier in this system prior. There is little change in sound in comparison.

IP Logged
atacgene
Verified Member

yah!

Reply #90 - 04/27/19 at 15:07:46

Steve did mention somewhere that a power regenerator like the PS audio can be used together with ZLC. I think he stated the power regenerator can be plugged into the ZLC so it can supply a clean AC current to the regenerator. Have you tried this ?
Opps - just saw that you did comment on feeding ZLC ---> PS10. you are afraid of noise issue? I suppose there was not much improvement with that setup?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #91 - 04/27/19 at 15:23:48

I did try this. For some reason the P10 shows the incoming voltage 5 volts higher with the ZLC every time I do attempt it. And this causes the P10 to work harder to reduce outgoing voltage and as a result distortion, instead of being reduced to .1 percent, is more often .2 percent. That may not be audible. There is a difference in the sound using the ZLC, perhaps just a tiny bit more "relaxed," hard to say. But the difference is not really worth repurposing an 800 dollar component, and I was worried about the constant higher input voltage shown, so I put it back in use in my headphone system.

The P10 is a FANTASTIC component, I wouldn't trade the ZLC for it, but even at a discounted price I paid four times or so what I did for the ZLC. If I could I'd have three P10s!  The ZLC is doing fine in the system it controls.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #92 - 04/28/19 at 18:37:53

Can someone with a ZLC and a voltmeter measure the voltage at the ZLC plugs versus the wall plug?  I assume the ZLC voltmeter is for the incoming voltage.  Whether  the ZLC ups the voltage by 5V or it's something else would be nice to know.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #93 - 04/28/19 at 19:36:56

I have 121.4 coming in, 296.9 watt, 2.65 amp, system up and running at moderate volume, everything but my headphone amp is on. Voltage at the one open plug on ZLC is 124.6. And yes that reason ZLC is incoming as far as I remember from one of Steve’s posts.
Scott

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #94 - 04/28/19 at 19:53:22

So, your ZLC is raising the voltage 3V+?  I guess Lon's experience is real.  Does this matter?  Seems like it's not something desirable although maybe if steady state, it doesn't matter -- unless it's feeding a power conditioner that's trying to bring the voltage back down?

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #95 - 04/28/19 at 21:21:50

Arch,
My incoming voltage changes several volts, like +-2v-3v during the course of almost any given day. I know Steve has commented that DecWare products don’t really care and while most of my system is DecWare, my sonicTransport is not nor my DAC which is Mytek and headphone amp is Woo Audio none of them seems affected by it, I really can’t imagine it matters because, and this is only assumption on my part, but I doubt anyone has an absolute constant voltage, I mean look at all that occurs in any given power grid. I don’t know virtually anything about regenerators, but I guess that could be a challenge if the thing is fighting it constantly, out of my paygrade as they say. I do know my system is continuing to break in wonderously, if that’s a word and my system is sounding pretty sweet with all my doors open and a 78 degree breeze coming through, John Cougar Melankamp is coming through just fine.🤗
I’m pretty certain you’ll get a more knowledable response than mine, but have a great rest of the afternoon!
Best,
Scott

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #96 - 04/28/19 at 23:29:16

You are probably right.  I've never paid attention to the voltage before.  Now that we have something measuring it it comes to our attention.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #97 - 04/29/19 at 01:56:33

My incoming voltage can swing from 118 to 122 or 123 volts during different times of the day. My power regenerator can create a steady voltage that I can set within parameters I haven't fully explored; I tend to keep it at 120 or 121 volts. That steady voltage is something the components really really seem to like, and on top of that distortion is removed from the system (mine generally runs about 2.3% coming in and is knocked down to a steady 0.1% with the regenerator.)

I don't think the seemingly added voltage that the ZLC brings to the input of my power regenerator is actually dangerous to my regenerator. It does seem to lift the distortion to 0.2% but again I'm not sure that difference is audible. The truth is there's a tiny bit of difference with the ZLC feeding the regenerator, and I may even be imagining it, so I'm just not going to use it exclusively for that purpose, and I'm going to keep using it in my least used system. I don't think it's going to harm any of the components there. But if it is increasing the voltage a bit that tends to thicken up the sound a bit, which is not a bad thing for that system.

One thing I will say for certain: of the three power "centers" I have in three systems I would say I would never part with the P10, the Power Plant Premier does a very good job for what it is and its price point, and the ZLC is the third on the list, I think it does create an electrical benefit, but not to the extent that the two power regenerators do. Just my experience.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #98 - 04/29/19 at 03:29:09

The only reason I got a PSAudio P5 was that I determined a lot of my difficulties with fine tuning my system with tubes, wires, feet, etc, were created by inconsistent voltage. I was using a Pi Audio Uber, which is a nice, relatively transparent power filter. With it feeding my power, I was trying to find a really good balance between dynamic warmth and spacious fine detail. But I would get it "right," and it would change. Mostly I noticed a thickness that was difficult to tame consistently. Sometimes notably better, and sometimes notably worse, in time I figured it out with a volt meter...With my Toriis and CSP3, higher voltage made the sound bigger/thicker, and lower made it leaner, more spacious.

Finally, for the level of refinement and consistency I craved, the problems were not night versus day power quality (though this had some effect, the Uber did a lot to smooth it out). It was more the variable voltage from the power company in my case. I think I recall, from about 119 to about 123, most often in the 120-123 range according to the meter I had.

So I got a regenerator to try for its consistent voltage. I did not like the P5's "signature" at first after the Uber, but after struggling to find better sound with the right feet, fuse, cable and settings, I came to like it in time. Even so, a realization was not using it for my source gear, computer, DAC, etc, where its remaining lack of transparency (warmish signature) was more obvious in defeating the space and fine detail I wanted. For source power I use a modified Brickwall with a Shunyata plugin filter which allows space and fine detail more cleanly. But for my Decware amps, once I got the P5 cleaned up to my satisfaction, it was a breakthrough for my continued tuning. I suspect what you are referring to Scott, about Steve saying the amps didn't care about voltage, was likely in terms of damage, not sound. There are clearly sound differences with voltage changes with my Decware amps...If you have a variac around, or use a PSaudio regenerator, you can increase and decrease voltage to hear these differences.

The regenerator fixed variable voltage, allowed setting voltage wherever I like it, along with other nice tuning tools for your power. Finding the best phase, multiwave/sine settings, and voltage for my system, room and tastes, I like 118 volts, to me, lots better than the variable, usually much higher voltages from my wall. With the P5, my tuning is based on a pretty consistent power, and associated, sound.

This is not to say that my regenerator is necessarily better than a ZLC or similar, especially with relatively stable voltage. But with highly variable voltage, this is a real sound consideration for me.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #99 - 04/29/19 at 22:27:44

Like Lon, my incoming swings as well.  123 is about the highest.  Same reading on my p5 as my power plant premiere on a different circuit so its likely house-wide.

I bought a P300 Power Plant for a smaller system at my cottage but the voltage was really stable there (out in the boonies)  so I didn't notice any difference.

Its boxed up and ready to go if someone wants to buy it.  I just haven't posted it for sale yet.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print