04/16/24 at 15:01:56 

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
ZLC (Read 11040 times)
Archie
Seasoned Member

Re: ZLC
Reply #100 - 04/30/19 at 00:32:26

Pal, do you get an increase in voltage once it goes through the ZLC as well?

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #101 - 04/30/19 at 00:36:52

Hi Archie,

Sorry I wasn't clear.

I don't have the ZLC although I think its an interesting product.  The fluctuation was seen just monitoring the P5/PPP.  I have a fair amount of voltage fluctuation and extremely high distortion in my home power despite having a dedicated line.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #102 - 04/30/19 at 00:41:23

Oh.  I can't see the meter on the back of my ZLC but I think I'm fortunate and have fairly steady power.  There are some advantages to being part of a rural electric coop I guess.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #103 - 04/30/19 at 01:55:50

You'd be surprised. I live in a rural area for sure,* and even get power from a pole with a transformer about 75 feet from my circuit panel, and my power fluctuates about 5 volts during the day. It spikes when my few neighbors come home from work about 5! And it's heaviest on the weekends, which makes sense. I bet if you monitored yours you'd see some changes.

*https://www.google.com/maps/place/11358+Brookside+Rd,+Chardon,+OH+44024/@41.5412...

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #104 - 04/30/19 at 02:56:01

Could be.  My transformer is in my front yard and I'm the end of that line.  I have a voltage readout on my meter which seems very steady.  What I don't have is a meter that I can check my outlets.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
mperdue63
Seasoned Member

Reply #105 - 05/04/19 at 03:17:21

I just noticed that when I flip the switch labeled 5 on my ZLC both the no. 5 outlet and the no. 2 outlet energize. The same thing happens when I flip no. 2. Both no.2 and No.5 energize. I'm guessing that this is not by design. Anyone else having this happen? Thanks

LHY SW10}HiFi Rose 130RS}Holo Audio May KTE}Decware Sarah #003}Spatial Audio X5's
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #106 - 05/04/19 at 12:26:18

ARGH! That is not supposed to happen, and doesn't happen with mine.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #107 - 05/04/19 at 17:11:18

That one sure sounds like a QC issue.  I will defend Decware 100%.  I never read anywhere Steve claiming perfection but I've personally had him go over and beyond the call of duty to make everything 100% right, and then some.

My ZLC is performing perfectly.  For the record, the ankle biter issue I had with the breaker and fuse was a minor glitch and NOT a "negative report," as far as my experience goes.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
mperdue63
Seasoned Member

Reply #108 - 05/04/19 at 20:03:12

I'll call Decware on Monday and report my ZLC. I'm sure it's just one of those things. I certainly was not intending to cast a shadow on the Decware team. The rest of my Decware is fabulous and I can't imagine listening without my ZMA.25, CP3.25, ZP3.25. etc. I was a little hesitant to reach out right away to Steve, I know they are slammed. I wanted to make sure I wasn't having a "stupid moment" with the ZLC before I called. My ZLC has really made a positive difference with my setup. Thanks for the comments

LHY SW10}HiFi Rose 130RS}Holo Audio May KTE}Decware Sarah #003}Spatial Audio X5's
  IP Logged
atacgene
Verified Member

yah!

Reply #109 - 05/05/19 at 03:56:09

Steve did reassure me on the phone that the issue with breaker and fuse when plugging in is relatively rare, as he has posted the reason before here - something to do with a random fluctuation of amp that leads to surge beyond normal range. I am not sure if my 10 Amp is now more protective than the 8 amp but I am leaving the 10 amp fuses inside now. The idea is also not to keep plugging the DLC in and out unless you have to (e.g moving location).
Yes, the result of the improving SQ is obviously there, if a bit subtle. I could perhaps do A/B comparison with my old $150 isolator but it is too troublesome. From audio memory it is all +ve. with improvement in sound stage which gains depth and 3D, better instrument separation. My old digital setup with my MacBook Air is sounding better than before too. There is less fatigue, more clarity, possibly more analogue-feel to the digital music.  For vinyl, it is mainly soundstage and perhaps dynamic punch too ?
It is no brainer that the electrical source is most important!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #110 - 07/03/19 at 15:42:50

Over the weekend and yesterday I played around once again with adding the ZLC to my main system. I used the exact same power cord for both the ZLC and the PS Audio Power Plant P10 so that variable was eliminated as a factor.

As I had issues using it to power the PS Audio Power Plant P10 and then the rest of the system before (it seemed to add a few percents of increased voltage for some reason, or at least that is what the P10 tells me) I instead first tried using the ZLC to power all the analog components and the P10 to power all the digital. I was able to let it all simmer overnight and listened for a few hours late on Saturday. The sound was different, can't say I preferred it. It seemed a bit tighter, drier, brighter than my default (P10 powering all components). There also seemed a bit less depth to the soundstage, everything pushed forward a bit more. I played with the modes and settings on the P10 but little ameliorated that.

So before retiring I reversed the set up with all my analog components powered by the P10 and the ZLC powering all my digital components. Then I let all simmer overnight and revisited the system late on Sunday. This was a better configuration, bringing me closer to the sound that I had before with some differences. Playing with the settings on the P10 had a happier benefit on the analog components than the digital. I was able to regain that depth of soundstage, and much of the tightness, brightness and dryness to the overall sound dissipated. I left that configuration in place and listened with that setup through yesterday afternoon and got a handle on the sound and enjoyed it with a lot of material, but I missed a certain warmth and "ease" that I felt was there when all components were powered by the P10.

So yesterday evening I removed the ZLC from the system and restored all components to the outlets on the P10 and let it all simmer and I have to say, today. . . I eased into the restored familiar sound and noticed better bass and better dynamics as well as a smooth ease to the sound. So I've put the ZLC back into my least used system, the headphone system, and think I've done due diligence and I'll let it do its good work there.

I wish I could quit tinkering with the setup and just kick back and enjoy the music. . . . I do do that for long stretches but reading here fires up my imagination and I do enjoy the experimentation, especially when it bears new fruit or ratifies my previous choices. This is such an involving hobby if you let it be so.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #111 - 04/11/20 at 17:04:23

Hi Lon. I know this is an old post, but I think that it should be noted that this is a comparison between $895(ZLC) and $4995(P10)  For that kind of price difference, the P10 had better be significantly better!

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #112 - 04/11/20 at 20:05:46

Well, I'll note that I got the P10 brand new at the lowest official price I've seen for a new one, about 60 percent of the listed price you quote.

And yes, I find it significantly better. I'd not want to be without it. What I can do with the P10 as far as tuning and tweaking is really amazing to me.

The ZLC is great for my headphone only system, a system that I allow myself to have lowered expectations for and that I don't use as frequently. I'm glad I have it. But it's my third favorite of three electrical components I have: the P10, the Power Plant Premier, and the ZLC.

IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #113 - 05/25/20 at 00:42:30

I recently bought a ZMC1. Unfortunately it’s the seventh plug in. One is going to be left out of the ZLC. Which one should it be? The Toriii?

Home: Torii MKIV-25, ZP3-25, HR-1’s, ZLC, DSR, DHC-1, PSA DSD, ZRock2, SA8005, Zenstiyx, VPI Prime, Hana ML, ZMC1.
Work: SE84UFO-25, Schiit modi, Trapeziums, MacBook air, Audirvana aiff. Also have a pair of ESS AMT 1C’s in workout room with a cxnv2.
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #114 - 05/25/20 at 01:01:05

Do you even need to plug in your ZMC1?  I don't plug mine in.  I think the plug is more for a ground issue -- the manual talks about this.  The ZMC1 doesn't use any power.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print