Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 10:59:31 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The Truth about why modern pop music SUCKs (Read 3552 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

The Truth about why modern pop music SUCKs
03/18/19 at 03:48:59

https://youtu.be/oVME_l4IwII

This is a really well done explanation that covers all the points. Well worth listening to. Many of us from the 50's, 60's & 70's listen to todays music and wonder WTF happened? It is not the same as what your parents thought despite the surface similarities... todays pop music is poison in my opinion. And go figure, it is impossible to get to sound good on a high fidelity playback system. What cracks me up, is on Tidal for example, they have high resolution masters of much of this crap which when compared to the mp3 sounds even more offensive.

God Bless our music library! But be frugal and put your favorite music on disk, on memory cards, on tape or buy more LPs. Nothing will suck worse than having all of your music vaporize in the cloud during technical difficulties or power outages lasting extended periods of time.

The video features a great explanation of commonly used audiophile descriptor "Timbre", so if you're new to all the adjectives of this hobby the video is worth watching on this alone.

Happy listening!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Showme
Seasoned Member

Re: The Truth about why modern pop music SUCKs
Reply #1 - 03/18/19 at 14:28:34

Very informative video that explains a lot. I graduated in the mid 60's and I subscribe to the speakers position on new music and music in general. Thanks for sharing.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/18/19 at 15:47:18

I love getting independent confirmation for something I've noticed for a long time.  But it didn't change my opinion that the Beatles are the most overrated band of all time (which doesn't mean not good, just not the best).    
Roll Eyes

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 03/18/19 at 18:37:19

Extremely pertinent, Steve. Thanks for sharing.

IP Logged
Ellsworth
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 03/20/19 at 00:38:57

Thanks for sharing that video.  The analysis behind it makes a lot of sense and explains why things sound the way they do.    He didn’t even get into auto-tune.    I have 10 year old twins that listen to this type of music.  It is painful for me to be around.

IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 03/20/19 at 11:17:00

Thank you for sharing this video. I like older music. Knew I didn't like newer stuff for the most part. Reassuring to know I'm not just old. Turns out, I like music instead of noise. I'm sharing this with my kids.

LR:Mini Torii+Wright WPP100 phono, CSP2+SE84UFO, Pioneer Exclusive M4, Accuphase E-303,Graham Slee Jazz Club, Technics SL-1200MK3D Grace F-8 & Nagaoka MP-110, Yamaha NS-1000M, KEF Reference 101, Sony SS-5050
BR: SE84C+, ZP1 phono, Decware 945
JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #6 - 03/21/19 at 23:26:12

I knew there must be some reason, why I don't like most "newer" music.  I seem to buy less and less as the years go by.  When I do buy music, it tends to be a new "discovery" of older music.  And is usually some obscure artist that never got mainstream "exposure" to boot.  I will say one thing, that is a "good thing" with the coming of the WWW... almost any musician can get their music out to the masses without needing a record label to back them and boat loads of $$$.  I have discovered some really good music and very talented musicians on YouTube... yes YouTube - get out there and poke around - you'll be surprised what you find.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print