03/28/24 at 15:53:42 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
El Camino "Deuce" (Read 12599 times)
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

El Camino "Deuce"
03/13/19 at 17:57:46

As usual it takes me forever to get my projects done but finally finished these. I like to thank Bob for the internal parts and designing these. They are only 99% finished and still in the workshop. I have to make the x-over box cover plate for them to be 100% finished. So here are some pictures.

inside_15.jpg
  IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Re: El Camino "Deuce"
Reply #1 - 03/13/19 at 17:59:22

Wool felt inside.

insulation_15.jpg
  IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/13/19 at 18:00:36

Front shot

front_15.jpg
  IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 03/13/19 at 18:01:58

Rear shot

rear_15.jpg
  IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 03/13/19 at 18:03:22

x-over closeup

closeup_xover_15.jpg
  IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 03/13/19 at 18:09:16

I would also like to thank Randy for the recommendation on the finish he uses. This stuff works great, easy to apply and don't have to worry about runs or dust. This stuff is nice.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #6 - 03/14/19 at 01:26:02

Holy crap, very nice!

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #7 - 03/14/19 at 02:20:21

It's pretty bad-ass alright...  wait until you hear them ; )

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #8 - 03/14/19 at 02:23:34

Too bad there won't be any bass!   Hahaha just kidding.  You'll need spikes for these, and probably wouldn't be a half bad idea to install a seatbelt  as well as a headrest on your listening chair.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 03/14/19 at 14:54:32

Thanks Donnie.

Steve, the bass hits pretty good already. Can't wait to get them in the room. I do have spikes for these. The feet I bought long ago came with threaded rubber feet and brass spike feet. The rubber feet are on them for now because of the concrete floor. I have carpet in the room so the spikes will be put on when I get them in place. I will see what I can do about the seat belt and the headrest.  ;D

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 03/15/19 at 21:27:43

I can't help myself.  I can't think about anything else everytime I see "EL CAMINO"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5Bs2xGDFU8

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #11 - 03/16/19 at 00:08:03

I was thinking of Elizabeth Cook singing "El Camino" myself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5yt0gXLkh0

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #12 - 03/19/19 at 07:19:40

Awesome work brother! Nice to see them coming along so well!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 03/19/19 at 14:24:47

And now they are done, the final touch.

xover_plate.jpg
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #14 - 04/01/19 at 19:03:22

That's a fantastic tribute to Bob!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 04/10/19 at 20:51:06

Wow, very well done!

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #16 - 12/12/19 at 00:33:18

I have looked at this post several times. I usually don't have much to say about craftsmanship when viewing many of these projects, but this one is well beyond so many examples out there.
What I do wonder about are the drivers used in this project. Also, mid-woofers, are they 8"?
Just recently, I got a pair of 8" Mark Audio 12P drivers in, and come spring will be building a set of DNA2 cabinets for them. I need just about all the help that I can get, since there aren't plans available just yet.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 12/12/19 at 20:07:08

Thanks 4krow.

The drivers are 5" SB Acoustics. They are not really that efficient on paper, 88db at 2.83V which is like 85db at 1W. There are two so the efficiency goes up but my little 2 watt amp has no problem powering them in my room. Also the tweeter Bob picked for these is awesome.
I like to build speakers and I usually listen to the ones I make for a month or so and then off to the next project. For some reason these sound so good I have not had the urge to build anything else. Especially the Big Betsy speakers that Steve made. Those are tempting and look easy enough to make but there is something special about these, that I don't have the urge to make anything else, they just sound good. I am cheating a little because I am running 2 of the WO32 subs with these speakers to get the bass hit. They just blend together so well and I have a wall of sound with the detail I like.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #18 - 12/12/19 at 23:22:25

Interestingly, I started to build the WO32 a few years ago. I got the drivers, and even got the MDF, but it wasn't to be. Bass in a design such this is better than just about anything else out there to my ears.
Anyway, I find it surprising that a smaller driver can produce great sound, extending below expectations. I am breaking in the 12P drivers now, and adding a bit of subwoofer input to an 8" Audio Nirvana driver is making me shake my head. It takes just a little to get the bass that I like.  
I am anxious to make the DNA2 and hear what more can be had from these drivers. Last year, I made the Smaller DNA horns and loved the sound, BUT man I just want more of it.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
armstdav
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 12/13/19 at 05:00:36

I'm listening to 4krow's DNAs as I type this, and they're glorious. The DNA2s can only be mo' bettah.

That said, the El Camino Deuces are way cool. My father sold Chevrolets, including a fair number of El Caminos. I miss him and the cool cars he would bring home.

David

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #20 - 12/17/19 at 04:19:03

Wow, thanks Armsdave, I must agree. Those Mark Audio drivers have something about them that I love. In fact, I have three drivers to try out when I get around to building the DNA2 speakers sometime in the future. Yup, a larger version of your driver will be first in line to audition.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #21 - 02/24/20 at 23:05:20

I keep coming back to look at these speakers. I'm wondering if my skill set is good enough?
The other thought that keeps haunting me is what if I built a pair of these based on the DNA 2"s????

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #22 - 02/25/20 at 01:18:54

Donnie,

Pretty much the same question as I had when I saw these speakers. For me, the answer was yes, and I am so awed with the results. One thing that did cross my mind was what are the possibilities of a marriage between the El Caminos and the DNA2 design. Either way, once you get the measurements established, the rest becomes the cutting of the material and the blade positioning of your table saw that will start with too obtuse of angle, and then working towards the right acuteness' required for a good fit. I suggest that you take the dive.

IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 02/25/20 at 15:20:54

Donnie, sure it is. I have seen your other projects and I don't think you will have any issue with this build. I do recommend a digital angle protractor, it will help with the angle cuts.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #24 - 02/25/20 at 17:14:28

If I base them off of the DNA 2's they would be around 6'8".
Big speakers are becoming my thing.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print