Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/16/24 at 07:03:01 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
You know the sound is good when... (Read 4596 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

You know the sound is good when...
03/09/19 at 05:53:08

It's Decware?  ... well yea, but that's not particularly what I was going to say.  I was going to say that you know the sound is good when you can't shut it off.

I think as audiophiles, those of use who enjoy the science of it as well as the music, find ourselves inadvertently conditioned by sound quality as to when we will turn off the stereo and move on to more important things, like work, or sleep.

For example, you wait until a song on the radio sounds like shit, then that's a good a time, so you quit.  It doesn't have to of course be that extreme, you can simply be going along, and the random choice of records diminishes the magic at no fault of the system or your own.  Nevertheless you listen when it's "better than good" because you can't believe how good it is,.... then along comes the mediocre recording and the magic simply and frankly leaves somewhat, so often times you will to.

An example on the opposite end, is you are listening to the music and doing research on YouTube, but you won't turn on the sound on YouTube because your music sounds too good to turn off, or poison with other sounds!  So you sit there for sometimes hours watching videos with no sound : ). That's a usually a pretty good indicator that the sound quality is A++.  

If you could shit the experience on command any time day or night anywhere and with any gear, then I guess it wouldn't be a big deal, but we all know how sacred it is when it happens, and rare to see... like a fox.

Happy listening everyone!  Another glorious weekend of swimming in the music !

BTW, Tonights experience was curtesy of model SE84UFO2 bone stock driven by an Anniversary Modded ZTPRE.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Re: You know the sound is good when...
Reply #1 - 03/09/19 at 14:16:45

Those words are so true...I also firmly believe, now, that the chances of experiencing “when you can’t shut it off” and “experience on command” is greatly increased when an Anniversary Modded ZTPRE is in the chain...with any DecWare Amp.
It just keeps gettin better. Work and sleep are certainly a necessity, but more important... a matter of opinion!
It was “one of those nights”
Best,
Scott

TORII MKIV-25th,ZBIT,ZROCK2-25th,ZTPRE-25th,ZLC,DNA2's, REL S/3 SHO
MyTek Brooklyn DAC+,Sonore ultraRendu LinearPS,sonicTransport APi7 4TB
Woo WA6, Sennheiser HD660s
RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #2 - 03/09/19 at 15:08:52

Yep. I used to be a ‘Go to bed at 10:00’ guy. Decware has cost me many hours of sleep as I often stay up way past that because I simply could not stop listening. Nice problem to have Grin

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #3 - 03/10/19 at 04:54:59

As I set here tonight listening to the SE84UFO2 /DNA2 combo I am simply amazed... it's been weeks now with this combo and I recently updated my ZTPRE with the Anniversary mods and the stock SE84UFO2 can easily communicate the improvements! I have to say I'm pretty pleased with that!  

In the ongoing struggle to realize what the hell is what and it's influence on the final sound you hear, for my entire 4' and above life, I have examined the the main players which are; room, speakers, amp, source.  We can put preamp and source into the same category as they are really hard to separate.  Since the room is typically 40% or more of the sound, lets remove that too.  This leaves the never-ending contemplation between the sound that the source brings to the table vs, the speaker, vs, the amplifier.  Which is more important?

The Zen answer is that none is more important.  All must be completely equal and perfectly balanced to achieve nirvana.  If one is actually better than the others it will upset that balance and nirvana can no longer happen.

Until you get to that level, what is the dominating force between the three... I would have to say, source. The source is the most important followed by the amplifier and then by the speakers. Now keep in mind that depending on the color of your bathroom tile, it wouldn't be hard to present an argument for the exact opposite which is; the Speaker are the most important, followed by the amplifier, followed by the source and. lastly the room.

An interesting reflection is that in the struggle to listen to "regular stellar Decware amplifiers" after being wrecked by the 25th Anniversary Zen Triode amplifiers, I felt the need to do 25th Anniversary mods to everything which I did. This speeded things up and narrowed the gap between the Holy Grail 25th Anniversary amp and everything else.  

Now I set here listening to a stock SE84UFO2 which btw at some point in the journey I felt I couldn't listen to anymore after having my reference elevated so high...  Now here I set for two weeks enjoying the shit out of it having instead elevated the source which specifically in this case was the ZTPRE.  

So it really kinda proves that that the game is everything in front of the amplifier's input jack.  Interconnects, preamps, gain stages, sources...

The sound I am hearing right now as I write this is full on lucid.  You hear it and you think you can't believe it.  Now here's an interesting twist...

I have not heard the 25th Anniversary amp driven by the ZTPRE with Anniversary mods yet!  Oh God, here we go...  

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #4 - 03/10/19 at 04:58:43

Hehe,  May the source be with you!

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #5 - 03/10/19 at 05:16:16

OK, I'm just setting here reflecting... see what you thing of this:

In a perfect utopia (heaven) all source components would be exactly the same technology and quality and manufactured by the same entity.  There would be a standard issue source component to all listeners on the planet. The source component would be the combined efforts and genius of all the audiophile engineers on the planet. Basically all the minds on the planet that care about audio quality working together to forge a standard that is soo good it is no longer judged on a planetary basis but on a galactic basis. That way all we would then have to worry about is speaker and room and amplifiers.

Of course, the technology would have automatic fart-detection on a musical level in so much as it would be able to look at the dynamic range, the phase angle across frequencies, the compression, pitch accuracy, harmonic integrity, tone scale and palpability to easily detect BULLSHIT quality recordings and delete them. This would make it impossible for bullshit recordings to pollute our consciousness and enable those producing them to ascend to a higher level of musical genius where their spirit actually comes through instead of the electronics creating an artificial or shall we say wishful attempt at the same thing.

There is nothing more horrifying than listening to your very expensive high fidelity sound reproduction system sound like complete shit because it so so good it accurately reproduces whatever is on the recording good or bad!

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #6 - 03/10/19 at 05:34:32

I can see ahead into the future where this source will also contain all music.  The music contained in the source will be voted in by a world wide dilution process that filters out all the impurities and allows only the pure of tone to enter. This does not mean the human expression censored in any way, it means only the quality of tone and timbre must be of an almost spiritual quality to qualify for human expression no matter how abstract or unexpected it may be.  

So in this "sonically utopian world" I would still passionately dislike much of what I hear but never would it sound like shit, or sandpaper shoved through a meat grinder.  It would be music you can't stand with absolute liquidity, power, density, weight, silky smoothness, juicy goodness, to the point where the music notes themselves are so good that the poor arrangement of them no longer diminishes there quality.  Now your displeasure in the composition and rendering of it turns against the artist instead of the pathetic chain of equipment responsible for the affliction in the first place.

Wouldn't THAT be a great frikin' change!  I'm just grateful that the technology that pushed digital upon us is outpacing the greed that funds it! It is now possible to get incredible sound quality from a $250 USB stick DAC...!

Happy listening!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #7 - 03/10/19 at 13:57:18

I think that there is one more piece of this chain that is being overlooked.
The person listening to it, YOU!
I contend that music sounds better when you're feeling positive.
I also believe that listening to music puts you in a better mood, so it somewhat becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.
Good mood=better sound.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #8 - 03/11/19 at 04:16:17

I would agree with that 100%.

WWW   IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 03/11/19 at 17:19:32

I’m not quite yet in the market for one, but Steve what USB stick DAC is impressing you!?

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS