03/28/24 at 23:23:46 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ZRock advise (Read 5727 times)
pann56

ZRock advise
03/06/19 at 14:02:25

Hi All,
I have been a previous Decware owner of a Mini Torii CSP3 and a few other pieces of gear and have had Omega Alnico 6 speakers to go along. Due to various detours along the way I only currently have the CSP3 which I am using as a Headphone amp. I recently have purchased a pair of Wharfedale 10.7 towers on closeout which are 90 db 6 ohms and may not be optimal for Decware amps. I am on a strict budget and not sure how far up the line i need to go to get a Decware amp that would be compatible. My other option would be to purchase a ZROCK instead which may fill my needs. I currently have borrowed an amp off a friend and am using the CSP as a pre amp and it doesn't sound bad at all. Just looking for that added magic and wondering if the ZROCK would do the trick if i cant swing an amp.
sorry for the long winded story but i need to get this right  and any advise would help.   Smiley

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Re: ZRock advise
Reply #1 - 03/06/19 at 17:15:12

I am not sure the ZRock is your answer. Generally Steve recommends focusing on improving the weakest link in a system.

I would give some thought to where eventually you want your system to end up - sources, preamp, amplifier, speakers, and cabling. This should be done in conjunction with thinking about your listening room, limitations of the room (size, layout, equipment placement, etc.), and the type of music you enjoy (do I need full range multi-driver floor standers or will bookshelf monitors work best).  Then work up the budget for how much $$ it will take.  

By taking a longer view approach, you can build a system that will provide you hours of listening enjoyment, but it will likely take time to get there.  Use the time to save up necessary funds and do it one piece at a time. It doesn't take tens of thousands to get there either. As example, an inexpensive, simple system of a little Zen amplifier, your CSP3 preamp, a modest CD player, and pair of Betsy Baffle speakers (new or used) produce amazing music.

If I was in your shoes and had a pair of decent headphones, I'd send my CSP3 preamp into Decware for 25th anniversary modifications. This will give you a great foundation which you can build from. Good luck.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 03/06/19 at 17:53:11

I agree with HK and he's given you good advice. What size of room are you working with and how LOUD do you need to go. It's possible that a Rachel or Torii Jr. may have enough power to meet your needs and drive those speakers if those are what you want to use.

A Decware amp will work very well with the CSP3 and perhaps in the future you'll find a ZROCK2 a great addition but I don't think it's the first step . . . .

The very best advice anyone of us forum members can give is to encourage you to talk to Steve once you have your goals configured. He can tell you the best move.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 03/06/19 at 18:16:51

And to follow up on Lon's thoughts, if you live near East Peoria arrange for a listening session at Decware or attend Decfest in October. That will give you plenty of food for thought.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
pann56

Reply #4 - 03/06/19 at 19:07:32

Thanks for all the advise....I guess I need to give this more thought.

I work in NYC and came across a Torii MKll being offered by Skyaudio.com in their amplifier section.  Looks to be in mint condition but is an older version.
I think I am committed to my speakers for the moment, so I need to work around that as well.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 03/06/19 at 19:13:42

Torii Mk III are great amps, I had two, an early one before there were bass controls, and one with both bass and treble controls, and I had both upgraded to beeswax caps. Lots of power, lots of tonal flexibility, lots of great sound.

I'd still recommend a call to Steve to get his opinion on your course of action. No one knows more about his components and their interaction with speakers and rooms and the real world than Steve.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
pann56

Reply #6 - 03/06/19 at 19:53:48

sent Steve an email for starters.
I am at work until 6pm here, tough to get on the phone. will see his comments first and take it from there.

Thanks !

IP Logged
pann56

Reply #7 - 03/07/19 at 16:10:27

just another thought after re-reading what HK gave above....I own an assortment of headphones : Audeze LCD2, ZMF Atticus and Eikons,  Mr. Speakers...Audioquest Nighthawks and Sennheisser 650's all with balanced cables.

Next dumb question ..would it be better  getting the CSP3 modded or just go for a Taboo MK4 headphone amp with the balanced option?

I listen to headphones over 50% of the time anyway and as for my speaker set up ..it can just stay as is.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 03/07/19 at 18:04:04

That's not an easy decision to make. I have both the Taboo Mk IV and the CSP3, both with the 25th Anniversary mods, and use them with Sennheiser HD800S, Audeze LCD-2 and Oppo PM-1 headphones. Each Decware component is capable of excellent sonic playback with any of the headphones. Tube rolling and gain adjustment can make each sound very close to the other--for headphone only use you can't go wrong with either.

In "non Anniversary mod" cases both together is better than one or the other separately but with the mods I find that less the case.

The Taboo Mk IV can also drive speakers very well so that's a "two in one" component and worth consideration.

IP Logged
pann56

Reply #9 - 03/07/19 at 18:23:15

that last sentence is intriguing because if by chance the TABOO can also drive the Wharfedale 10.7's I have,   that can kill 2 birds with one stone.

I guess at some point I need to find the time to give Steve a call. Just feel sort of intimidated being that I am not that knowledgeable about electronics.  Shot him an email the other day but have not heard back yet.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #10 - 03/07/19 at 18:53:36

By phone is reported to be the best way to reach Steve. He gets so many emails and likely has little time to wade through the spam and jam to get to replying. . . .

I'm listening to a Taboo Mk IV (with the Anniversary mods) right now in a large room, with a CSP3 with the Mods in front of it and 92.5 db HR-1 speakers. . . and they just get loud enough for non-concert level listening. I'm not sure how large your room is nor how the Taboo would fare with your speakers, but Steve would be able to give you the best answer.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print