Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 16:41:47 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Updated schematic for 2019 ~ Anniversary Mods ! (Read 8637 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Updated schematic for 2019 ~ Anniversary Mods !
03/05/19 at 02:42:11

I have updated the schematic and the assembly instructions for the ZKIT-1 (model SE84DIY) Zen Triode amplifier so that all the information is up to date with the current rev.12 circuit board.

Also on the new schematic, the optional Anniversary Mods are shown which basically amount to bypassing the electrolytic with film caps.

The new instructions and schematic are here: https://www.decware.com/newsite/ZKITmanual2019.pdf

Thanks,

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
benlefebvre
Verified Member

Re: Updated schematic for 2019 ~ Anniversary Mods !
Reply #1 - 03/06/19 at 00:42:07

Oh man, great stuff. Thanks for that, Steve!

IP Logged
benlefebvre
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 03/06/19 at 01:25:53

For those of us with the two 40uf 450V caps in the PS instead of 33uf 600V (following the SE84CS schematic), I’d imagine the mod would require different value caps in parallel with those, correct?

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #3 - 03/06/19 at 05:38:09

The ZKIT-1 being rectified by ultra-fast diodes, can actually have any value filter caps above 33uf, 450V.  47uf would make the amp quieter.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
benlefebvre
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 03/23/19 at 17:29:10

I just noticed that the updated schematic has caps bridging the output tube pins 1 and 3. Is that for the Hazen mod? I thought I read online somewhere that it was pins 3 and 6 that got bridged with a cap, but I may be misremembering that....

IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #5 - 03/31/19 at 22:33:35

Steve

Thanks for the updated schematics.  Deb walked in while I was viewing them and said "Oh, what nice Easter colors!".  I didn't know there was a WAF when dealing with schematics, but I guess the WAF applies to just about everything.

I think you have a small error in the schematic.  It's showing the 10k resistors tied to power supply TPB as AC coupled load resistors to ground.

Dan

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #6 - 04/02/19 at 01:53:02

Well, I can't honestly say I'm surprised... you get so wrapped up in trying to make damn program draw the lines where you want that you loose site of the bigger picture.  I do it almost every time. In fact, that wasn't the only error on the schematic.  Thank-you for pointing it out.  I have updated the manual/schematic.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #7 - 04/02/19 at 01:59:38

Quote:
I just noticed that the updated schematic has caps bridging the output tube pins 1 and 3. Is that for the Hazen mod? I thought I read online somewhere that it was pins 3 and 6 that got bridged with a cap, but I may be misremembering that....

On the 6P15P-EV also know as SV83 tube, pins 1 and 6 are tied together inside the tube..  EL84 tubes have nothing connected to either pin.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Divasson
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 04/08/19 at 22:35:06

Hi all,

Just ordered a couple of boards to bridge 2 zkits. I had a SE84B for 6-7 years that I sold for lack of power but I have spent many thousands thereafter and never reached the sound quality I had with the Zen. So I am looking forward to return "home".

I have some questions by looking at the schematic and comparing it with previous schematics I have seen of different Zens.

• The resistors to ground in the grid of the output stage show as 1k while in previous schematics were 330k. With 330k and 0.1uF capacitor, the -3db point is 5hz; with 1k it is 1,6KHz !!

• The 10k resistors were in the previous schematic connected between the PS and the 47k resistors, now they are not (and I think it made sense before)

• All electrolytics have been bypassed except the cathode bypass in the output stage - should it?

• If all bypass capacitors are Jupiter 0.1uF or 0,33uF, the total bill will be north of $400 in capacitors alone (I am bridging!). Which are the most critical ones apart from the coupling pairs? I have many other good 0.1uF-0.3uF polys around that could go to non-critical places.

• Regarding dc current through the output tubes, the meters in the schematic show 25mA - but from ohm's law in several places of the circuit it looks more like 32-35mA.

• Regarding transformers - has anyone tried something different to the Edcors? Any Transcendar? if so which? Is the 10w rating critical if the amp max output is 2.3w?

Thank you in advance for your answers!

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print