Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 23:49:58 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ZLC packing and shipping! (Read 2405 times)
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

ZLC packing and shipping!
03/02/19 at 15:50:21

Looks like there are a handful of ZLC’s ready to ship, mine being one of them!  I rearranged things a little this morning to make a spot for it. Looks like it may be here by next weekend. It’s been a tough wait since Black Friday...

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: ZLC packing and shipping!
Reply #1 - 03/02/19 at 16:06:08

Mine has also been updated to packing and shipping. I almost canceled my order before it went onto the bench. . . I am so happy with my P10 in my main system and my PPP in my new audio/video system and can't see how I could incorporate it into either (shelf space wise). But I also now have a headphone only (CSP2+ with anniversary mods, Taboo Mk III, Denon DVD-A1UD universal player, DVR) system that needs an electrical control center and the ZLC will be a great fit there. Looking forward to trying it out!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #2 - 03/02/19 at 16:19:41

Hi Lon. I saw your name on the list. Looks like Archie is right behind us too. I’ve never had any kind of conditioner in my chain, so I’m really looking forward to it. In my area, on the power grid, I definitely can hear a big difference late night listening. So much cleaner in those magic hours after 11 or so at night. I’m hoping the ZLC will bring me closer to that all the time!

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 03/02/19 at 16:27:13

Number 10 here, and it in QC, should ship soon. I have no other power processing other than this, so it’s needed to clean up my AC feed. Hoping it does what I’m expecting, should be an experience. My system is just settling in and getting better every day, a joy ride to say the least.
Smiley
Best,
Scott

TORII MKIV-25th,ZBIT,ZROCK2-25th,ZTPRE-25th,ZLC,DNA2's, REL S/3 SHO
MyTek Brooklyn DAC+,Sonore ultraRendu LinearPS,sonicTransport APi7 4TB
Woo WA6, Sennheiser HD660s
RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #4 - 03/02/19 at 16:46:57

That’s great Scott! You’re right. A joy ride for sure. I feel like I’m part of a very special club. I’m looking forward to the rest of the journey.

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 03/06/19 at 01:11:56

My ZLC is scheduled for delivery tomorrow afternoon. And my ZROCK2 is now off to "Packing and Shipping." Which means I may see it early next week. (Sure wish it were out for delivery tomorrow, I really want to have a ZROCK2 in my new living-room system--it's just the final little bit that this system needs!)

I'll be using the ZLC with a headphone only bedroom system that has arisen due to all the moving around of systems I've done last month. It has a TV, DVR, Denon universal player (a killer one!) and the CSP2+ that came back a week ago with the 25th Anniversary mods. All on a Mapleshade Audio Samson Version 2 rack, the original audio rack I bought about 18 years ago.

I've been running this CSP2+ through it's "5 on 5 off" initial period and then long days on and nights off and it sounds fantastic driving headphones! The mods were clearly an improvement.

At first I was going to run the preamp driving my Taboo Mk III which would drive the headphones and it sure does sound good that way. But now with some use on it the CSP2+ driving headphones itself sounds as good as the preamp driving the Taboo Mk III driving the headphones, so I'm going to take the Taboo Mk III out of the equation for now. I think I'd have to have it receive the 25th Anniversary mods to match the sound that the preamp alone is giving me. Not sure if I'm going to do that or sell it.

So the ZLC will have a TV, DVR, universal player and the CSP2+ plugged into it. Right now those are plugged into PS Audio Soloist and Ultimate Outlets. Should hear an improvement I would think. I'll post impressions when I have formulated some . . . .

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 03/06/19 at 19:35:56

Well, ZLC #02 is in the house.

First impression any of us will have: this is one heavy black box. Eat your Wheaties before lifting!

I had my CSP2+ warming up driving my Oppo PM-1s. I read the manual, then I set up the ZLC and the Denon player and the CSP2+ with PS Audio AC-12 power cords, might as well pimp them out! (I have been using AC-12s for the player and preamp since I set up this system last week.)

My first listening showed me that the ZLC made an impact. The treble was mellower, the bass was more distinct and there was a wider sense of soundstage. A touch more dynamic presentation as well. It's very easy to use the ZLC to turn components on and off and all the outlets and switches are top-notch.

I think this is going to be a great electrical control piece for the system and the already improved sound should improve even further.

Should be a few more hitting customers soon. Weigh in . . . and lift a few weights in preparation.

IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 03/06/19 at 20:34:18

Lon,

Great to hear, your opinion is valued and now I'm really looking forward to my soon to be out of QC-ZLC!
I'm definitely putting an appropriate power cord to it and
can't wait to get it added to the chain. It'll be my last
addition for a bit, except of course more cables and isolation and ya know a touch here and there. OK the last
box from DecWare with equipment in it for bit .. Smiley...
I'll certainly post when I get my hands on mine. Thanks! Good Listening!

Best,
Scott

TORII MKIV-25th,ZBIT,ZROCK2-25th,ZTPRE-25th,ZLC,DNA2's, REL S/3 SHO
MyTek Brooklyn DAC+,Sonore ultraRendu LinearPS,sonicTransport APi7 4TB
Woo WA6, Sennheiser HD660s
RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 03/06/19 at 21:11:19

Scott,
You'll probably be telling me how good things sound next week! I predict you'll be quite happy.

I revisited the sound for a half an hour just now after the unit had been playing a few hours. I must say. . . everything is good, everything is better than it was before. The ZLC already has met my expectations and I'm sure that it will sound better yet. The TV looks a bit better too which will please my wife, she likes to watch TV up there while exercising.

Another excellent Decware product, very impressive physically in the "flesh" in its spartan "black box" way.

IP Logged
glineus
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 03/06/19 at 23:01:39

Hi Lon,

How are you using the ZLC? Has the ZLC improved the performance of the P10 or are you using the ZLC as a separate component?

Regards

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #10 - 03/06/19 at 23:03:24

Glad to hear this Lon. #7 on the way. Should be here Monday Smiley

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 03/06/19 at 23:36:13

Hi G,
I'm using the ZLC as a separate component in a headphone only system I put together for the bedroom.

Things have changed since I originally ordered the ZLC and I moved my main system and set up a different one in its place. I can't use it as I had envisioned before: I really don't have room now in my main system or the audio video system in the living room, physical space or shelf space, to use the ZLC either with or in addition to the P10 or the PPP in those systems. So as I don't have any power conditioner or regenerator in this small new system I introduced the ZLC to it today. And it made a difference, no doubt about it.

In the future I may see if I can experiment with it in the other systems.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12 - 03/06/19 at 23:40:01

Geno wrote on 03/06/19 at 23:03:24:
Glad to hear this Lon. #7 on the way. Should be here Monday Smiley

Great Geno! You'll enjoy it after the weekend!

IP Logged
glineus
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 03/07/19 at 01:35:56

Hi Lon,

Nice, I shall be following your use of the SLC with interest since I am planning to use one with PS Audio Stellar Power Plant P3.

Regards

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #14 - 03/07/19 at 21:26:58

glineus wrote on 03/07/19 at 01:35:56:
Hi Lon,

Nice, I shall be following your use of the SLC with interest since I am planning to use one with PS Audio Stellar Power Plant P3.

Regards

Great G, I'm sure it will work great with the upcoming Stellar power regenerator.

I've spent a few hours with the headphones on and listening to cds and the DVR with all items plugged into the ZLC. Hum-free, clear and clean sound, with the touch of warmth that I know these tubes (Mullard ECC189 x 3 and an RCA 5Y3GT) and cabling (VooCoo Cable Ultra-linear interconnects, PS Audio AC-12 power cords) can bring. Very happy with what the ZLC has brought to this system now 24 hours later.

In time I may try the ZLC in front of my PPP and my P10 . . . but I want it to be fully seasoned in first, and in some ways I'm afraid to. I suspect it would lead me to ordering one or two more. . . which financially is not a good thing right now.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15 - 03/09/19 at 19:12:29

The ZLC feeding the CSP2+-25th is a good thing. Now I admit that the preamp is possibly still "burning in" as it was received exactly a week before the ZLC, but it's clear to me that the ZLC is providing clean and steady power to the units plugged into it. There's no treble hash and a very open midrange, similar effect to the regenerators I use elsewhere. "Listening fatigue" is lessened, there's a mellowness to the sound that draws me in.

Those of you with ZLCs in process or shipping: you're in for a treat.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16 - 03/13/19 at 19:50:29

Okay, since the system is sounding somewhat different anyway due to the addition of the newly built ZROCK2 with the full Anniversary mods I decided to try adding the ZLC in front of the PS Audio P10 Power Plant.

Not a good idea. Not only was the input voltage a bit higher than when the P10 is plugged into the wall, but so was the noise in the line--not a lot either way, but noticeable on the readout of the P10 and it caused the "cleaned up" percentage of noise in the line to flicker between .1 and .2 when it was a steady .1 before.

And the sound was. ..a bit fuzzier and phase. Less distinct, treble was a bit unfocused and more dominate and bass was woolier. I let it cook in for a while as I did some housework, took Fiona for a walk and made a few phone calls about household things. Came back. . . still clearly did not sound as good, so I removed it and plugged the P10 back into the wall directly.

Put the ZLC back in the headphone system and everything sounds and looks great there.

An interesting experiment. Wouldn't claim that anyone else would get the same results, that's what I got.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #17 - 03/14/19 at 02:18:16

Despite the obvious redundancy I would have (in the interest of science) tried it also just to see what happens.

Interesting that the P10 thought the voltage had increased with the ZLC in front it which we know is impossible.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18 - 03/14/19 at 02:36:21

Yeah, I know it's impossible. I don't trust those measurements necessarily.

I get so used to the sound of the P10 and tune with it that any departure is readily apparent. I'm actually glad I didn't prefer the ZLC in front of the P10 as I can't really afford another ZLC and really like the way it is operating in the headphone system

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19 - 03/16/19 at 16:35:53

Well, the ZLC is back in the second system and for the first time I'm trying the newly Anniversary modded CSP2+ feeding the Taboo Mk III (stock). Before the ZLC arrived I felt that the modded CSP2+ alone gave as good a headphone sound as the Taboo Mk III driven by the same preamp. I was considering selling the Taboo. But now with the ZLC on board. .. the sound is much better with the Taboo driven by the CSP2+ and . . . I guess it's going to go back to the mothership in time to get the Anniversary mods (which made such a difference with the Taboo Mk IV). That way I have another amp that can drive speakers as well. . . and as I have another pair of speakers (ERR) makes sense to have another amp on hand that can drive them. . . and have great headphone sound as well.

I'm addicted to the Decware sound. I heard another system this week at a neighbor's. . . it was fine for background listening but the minute he cranked it to show it off. . .it just strained and groaned and didn't impress. I was polite. But I was glad when it went back to background duty!

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #20 - 03/18/19 at 05:13:42

The Decware sound has been refined because of all of you and the wonderful first-hand feedback you have been so kind to return.  For that we have the deepest appreciation!

Lon, you have enough long term experience and enough gear to be permanently handicapped like myself... you get pretty spoiled!  It is gratifying to be able to share the experience because if we had to listen all by ourselves out in the middle of nowhere and never be able to tell a single living sole what we're experiencing... our heads would surly explode!

The power of music is magnified proportional to the quality.  It's just like Chocolate.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21 - 03/18/19 at 08:52:17

I'm glad to be doing all I can to keep heads from exploding in E. Peoria!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22 - 03/25/19 at 02:03:34

Others are getting their ZLCs now and we're seeing some impressions. I've had mine going non-stop and it's doing its job in the headphone audio/video system. I decided this evening to try it "powering" my PS Audio P10 power regenerator again.

I know when I tried the power regenerator plugged into the ZLC before it showed an increase in voltage into the regenerator, but that was at a time when line voltage WAS increasing, the time in the afternoon neighbors came home from work. I didn't check the input voltage on the ZLC then. Tonight it's a low voltage time, Sunday night, incoming voltage on the ZLC 119, and the regenerator plugged into the wall shows 119 as well. But when I plug the regenerator into the ZLC it shows 123. Weird. I've never seen the voltage change when I plug it into anything else before. Could be some reaction between the meters and the ZLC. None-the-less THIS time the sound is not changed for the worse, it's either just as good or slightly improved; I'm going to keep it powered this way and see what it sounds like later tomorrow. If you asked me now I'd say it's going to sound improved.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #23 - 03/25/19 at 04:25:05

Mine has definitely made an improvement. I’m hearing deeper into the music with a blacker background. My only problem is that I need another one Undecided

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #24 - 03/25/19 at 04:30:17

Another problem is that I have to go to work in the morning, but my tunes sound so good that I don’t see stopping anytime soon...

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #25 - 03/25/19 at 13:37:23

Well, I'm back to plugging the regenerator into the wall. I do think It sounded a bit better with the ZLC, but the ZLC showed nearly 4 additional volts going in. On the gauge in the back of the ZLC and when the regenerator is plugged into the wall the incoming voltage shows 119. When the regenerator is plugged into the ZLC the regenerator shows 123 incoming voltage. I've plugged the regenerator into two other conditioner type components and it shows 119 volts incoming.

Curious! It makes me hesitant to use if for this purpose. I'm putting it back into the other system. I don't think that this voltage variance is particularly harmful but that regenerator cost me a lot and I don't want to risk endangering it!

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 03/25/19 at 16:16:39

Lon, has your ZLC ever read anything other than 119 volts?  It's a funny coincidence that when I plugged mine in - before the fuses blew, it read 119 volts.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #27 - 03/25/19 at 16:30:28

Oh yes, it seems to accurately portray the incoming voltage; that voltage varies between 118 and 121 volts during the course of the day.

My power comes off a pole with transformer about 75 feet from the house. Line distortion is never higher than about 2.5% here, generally about 1.5%. However cleaning that up makes a difference.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 03/25/19 at 17:02:28

Oh good.  I should see those fuses today so, hopefully I'll be online with my ZLC.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #29 - 03/25/19 at 17:20:15

Fingers crossed!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print