04/19/24 at 00:44:41 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ZRock2 and Druids (Read 3205 times)
TK78
Verified Member

ZRock2 and Druids
02/28/19 at 00:11:18

Greetings!  I have a new pair of Druid V's from ZU Audio.  My system is a First Watt J2, a parks audio hybrid budgie phono pre and a CSP2 pre.  I'm a turntable guy as well.  So my druids have been pretty bass shy and now they are broken in it's a lot better but still not the bass I'm accustom to.  Clarity is unreal! Does anyone run a Z-Rock with Druids?  IF so what are your impressions?  Thanks!

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Re: ZRock2 and Druids
Reply #1 - 02/28/19 at 00:20:57

I don't have Druids but I looked up the specs and as they are rated 30Hz to 20KHz, then yes, a ZR2 will help the bass.  My HR1s have similar range and with the ZR2 I get chest thumping bass.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
jslateiv
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 02/28/19 at 15:31:32

I run some Zu's that utilize the same FRD that is in your Druids,..  I previously owned a J2 as well and did not think it was a great match due to the 'lack' of bass.  Not really lack but just didn't have the weight in the lower region I wanted.  Tried an Ayon Spirit III (to dry),  Atma-sphere M-60's (awesome bass but not as cohesive throught mid>uppers),  now I'm on a 25th-Anniv. amp and really couldn't be happier.   While the bass is not quiet as good as it was from the M-60's it's very close.  BUT,  everything else above ~60hz  is just sublime,  absolutely sick!   I have a ZRock2 on the way (hopefully here in the next 3 weeks).  Mainly purchased it to help with internet radio streams that I listen to while I work from an adjacent room.   Rarely do I feel like I need the extra bass help when sitting and purposefully listening.  
 I do think alot is room dependent with the speakers though.  My setup is in a smaller room though ( 14'x18'x7.5') that helps reinforce the low end.  However with the right amp I've never felt the Zu's were bass shy.
Hope this helps!

PureFidelity Harmony (SS Zephyr MIMC / ZYX Ultimate 100 / Miyajima Madake) > Roon/NUC > Holo KTE May > Supratek Cortese LCR > SE84-25 Zen / Gerus 300B / Radu Tarta Ultimate 300B > Triangle Celius 202 / Zu Omen (Hi-Mod) / ZenMstrL-F15 : PSA P12 : Iconoclast Cabling
  IP Logged
jslateiv
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 02/28/19 at 15:36:19

One other thing you could try,..  some of the FirstWatt amps are notorious for wanting a heavier load from the speakers (~8ohm),..  Zu now sells some matched power resistors that you connect across the speaker terminals specifically for this reason.   They are cheap ~$16.  I bought some just to play around with but have decided that with the 25th-Anniv. amp  it is better without them installed.   They may just be the trick for the J2 though.    here is the link,.. https://www.zuaudio.com/diy/loading25r

PureFidelity Harmony (SS Zephyr MIMC / ZYX Ultimate 100 / Miyajima Madake) > Roon/NUC > Holo KTE May > Supratek Cortese LCR > SE84-25 Zen / Gerus 300B / Radu Tarta Ultimate 300B > Triangle Celius 202 / Zu Omen (Hi-Mod) / ZenMstrL-F15 : PSA P12 : Iconoclast Cabling
  IP Logged
TK78
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 02/28/19 at 23:02:13

Thank you for the feedback!  I did get 2 pair of those resistors from ZU.  My speakers are still breaking in a bit but I do think that it made a difference. I am liking the idea of buying a Z-Rock.  I think it makes alot of sense.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print