Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 11:09:31 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Story of SE84B durability (Read 2083 times)
JimKain
Verified Member

Story of SE84B durability
02/27/19 at 18:49:44

With all the news of the 25 anniversary of the SE84 amp, I thought I would share this story about my SE84B which I bought about 20 years ago.

I wanted a tube amp but couldn't afford high end stuff so I saved for this one and found it was the nicest sounding amp I ever had.  I worked on improving the parts around it over the years, enjoying the journey.  Fast forward to 2011 and we have a house fire -- everything totaled.  The SE84B was in my basement listening room on a shelf, so it suffered smoke and water damage, but I pulled it out with whatever else I could reclaim, and put it all in a box in a storage shed.

So, with rebuilding and avoiding the salvaged stuff, it took a few years before I decided to check out the amp and see what condition it was in.  I cleaned it inside and out, replaced the tubes with some extras that had survived the fire, plugged it in with a pair of KEF RDM1 monitors which I also pulled from the remains.  And what do you know: sound!

Beautiful sound! They sounded as good as ever.  I couldn't believe that little amp could suffer through the heat and soot and steam of that fire, and come out as good as new.

So I'm still listening to that little amp; still enjoying its magic.  And I want to congratulate the Decware team for designing and building such quality product.

Thought you might appreciate that story.

IP Logged
litefootdan
Seasoned Member

Re: Story of SE84B durability
Reply #1 - 02/27/19 at 20:44:09

Nice story about a great amp and a wonderful company.  Although I'm sorry about the fire and your losses, I'm glad there is silver lined music at the end of it all.  

If you ever find yourself in the position to get a 25 anniversary model, please treat yourself to it.  You deserve it Wink

Ortofon 2M Bronze | Merrillized AR "The Turntable" | ZP 2 | SE84UFO25 | HDT | Jensen Alnico 15's on the low "OB"
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: Story of SE84B durability
Reply #2 - 03/01/19 at 03:10:18

Wow, that's a great story!

I'm not surprised though - Steve builds them tough, which is why he can have a lifetime warranty. Nobody does that.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print