Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 20:00:41 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Review of HR-1 after DecFest 2018 Upgrades (Read 11156 times)
Ron
Seasoned Member

Review of HR-1 after DecFest 2018 Upgrades
02/20/19 at 10:56:21

I originally purchased my HR-1s from Bob a little over a year ago and have logged quite a few hours on them to date. While I wasn't missing anything, Steve's stated this was a 30% improvement. For a speaker this good to have that large of an improvement was near impossible I thought.

I dropped off my beloved HR-1s at Bob's house one sunny and cold Saturday, and after a great conversation, drove off. I didn't realize how much I would miss listening to music on them over the course of the next 7 days.

My brother and I drove back to Bob's house the following Saturday, I was very anxious to hear the improvements. We did a few song comparisons between the old model and my upgraded pair. I remember saying "Well... shit. That isn't even a little subtle!" I was just blown away. I would agree with the assessment of a 30% improvement, without any reservations whatsoever.

I brought them home, and got them re-settled into their environment. Since then I have listened to quite a variety of music, trying to see how they perform across genres. I am still amazed.

They handled music with detail, accuracy, and grace; Pink Floyd, Daft Punk, Norah Jones, Ben Webster, Tom Waits, and Van Morrison.

Let's talk specifics: Sound stage is [even] larger, previously I heard everything at or in front of the speakers. Now music is more balanced, and the sound stage has moved up and back if that makes sense. This has improved the imaging by an order of magnitude. The bass is unreal, it is textured, tight, and even more accurate. Overall the integration of the new radial has changed the speaker for the better on every level.

The radial driver and crossover improvements are nothing short of amazing. To anyone on the fence about these upgrades, do not be. This is such a big improvement it is scary.

Thanks again for everything Bob!

Ciao,
Ron

HR-1 + Torii Jr. + ZROCK2 + ZP3 + VPI Prime Scout + UberBUSS + TriodeWireLabs Seven/Ten Plus + ASC IsoThermal TubeTraps
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Review of HR-1 after DecFest 2018 Upgrades
Reply #1 - 02/20/19 at 12:05:19

Thanks for weighing in Ron! I'm interested but don't want to ship my speakers and live without them a month or so. My original packaging got destroyed in removing the speakers, and even with that packaging I had one speaker damaged in shipping, don't want to risk it. Enjoy!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 02/20/19 at 15:31:57

Ron, what exactly did the update entail?  New Caps? Resistors? a whole new driver?  Very curious here.  Mark.

PS...Oh, and cost?

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 02/20/19 at 17:16:01

I'm not sure of everything involved but there are new top drivers and a crossover involved.  The new top drivers may not be specifically "radial" as they are now.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 02/20/19 at 18:15:50

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 02/20/19 at 18:27:04

Thanks Lon, have you looked into getting your HR-1s upgraded? Any idea on cost yet? Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Ron
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 02/20/19 at 20:22:16

Sorry for the delay...

Cost: $700
Completely Redesigned Crossover
MUCH Improved New Radial Driver

/Ron

HR-1 + Torii Jr. + ZROCK2 + ZP3 + VPI Prime Scout + UberBUSS + TriodeWireLabs Seven/Ten Plus + ASC IsoThermal TubeTraps
  IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #7 - 02/20/19 at 21:08:04

The cost is $700. for the upgrade plus of course shipping. So not a cheap upgrade, but a lot of work!

This includes...new drivers and the modifications, along with rebuilding the top plate to fit the drivers. New passive radiators and rebuilding the bottom to fit the passives.(in some cases)

The crossover is a new design, simpler because the top or omni driver has no crossover, in some cases I have to replace the binding posts.

As much of an improvement between a SE84UFO and the Anniversary Amp, I believe with every ounce of my being that this upgrade is a magnitude above that. That is saying something, as far as I'm concerned the Anniversary amp is untouchable.

Bob Z

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 02/20/19 at 21:11:15

Mark, I have replied above that I am hesitant as I don't want to ship my speakers, I don't have the original packing and even with it one speaker was damaged in shipping. . . . So I have no immediate plans for upgrade.

IP Logged
mperdue63
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 02/20/19 at 21:33:00

Are the upgrades already a part of the new HR1's being sold now? How long is the wait? thanks

LHY SW10}HiFi Rose 130RS}Holo Audio May KTE}Decware Sarah #003}Spatial Audio X5's
  IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #10 - 02/20/19 at 22:36:41

mperdue63, yes, any HR that leaves this shop will have the new upgrade.

Wait time, right now, is a long time, I even hesitate to guess. The price will be going up on the HR'1s, but it is going to take me a bit to get an handle on that.

Bob Z.

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 03/17/19 at 18:36:04

I jumped in whole hog and got the HR1 upgrades that Ron raves about above and I'm not disappointed.  The bass is MUCH better and bigger (and it was very good before) and the detail is allowing me to make out vocals that I've misheard for 40 years.  Everything sounds good but I have to say, I never expected to host Emmylou Harris in my living room!   Cheesy

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12 - 03/17/19 at 18:55:53

Very cool Archie! Keep on enjoying them!

IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 03/18/19 at 00:01:09

You gonna get weak and have at least one of your HR-1s upgraded, Lon!  ;)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #14 - 03/18/19 at 00:36:21

I don't know Joe. I don't want to ship them. I love how they sound right now. And. . . I've already over extended my audio budget and just had the news delivered to me that we need a new softener system for the house and am paying on a sofa we ordered six weeks ago. Will be a while if it happens, and that's okay.

So many new things breaking in this year that a long delay or never happening is okay.

IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 03/18/19 at 18:40:46

Lon, I am not sure exactly but items the size of speakers can be shipped via. bus for considerably less than conventional freight. There may be some insurance limitations.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16 - 03/18/19 at 18:54:46

It's not the cost that worries me Joe. My wife made me dispose of the original packaging, and even with the original packaging one of the speakers was damaged on the way to me and I am just loathe to pack and ship these. I imagine a scenario one day when I might drive them to Bob or to E. Peoria when Bob might be there and take them back with him, but even that, with the way my wife and dog are not willing to be without me for a day or so, seems unlikely to happen.

If I still can manage the cost of the upgrade some time in the future after I get my Taboo Mk III and my ZTPE modded I may try to arrange a trip like that. . . but I have to have a lot of "home political capital" to do so and rarely have even a spoonful of that.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 03/19/19 at 01:04:11

I would rate the HR1 upgrade as worthwhile, but not essential.  Without the original packing, I'd be extremely reluctant to send mine anywhere too.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18 - 03/19/19 at 02:12:46

Oh I'm sure it's great, and I'm glad you did it to report on and enjoy! And I'm sure it's sort of essential for HR-1 owners. Maybe one day. . . .

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print