Send Topic Print
Which capacitor? (Read 8736 times)
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Which capacitor?
02/16/19 at 17:21:00

I wonder, is the Vcap a worthy upgrade? I see in the description that Steve says that it will last forever as compared to the copper beeswax. Other than that, why would I get the Vcap?

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
MrDerrick
Seasoned Member

May The Source Be
With You!

Re: Which capacitor?
Reply #1 - 02/21/19 at 02:07:55

Geno,
If you go to the Jupiter web site, select the copper and beeswax product, there is a link to a Lampizator page that has a graph detailing the sonic characteristics of 4 copper foil capacitor brands, V-Cap, Jupiter, Duelund and Jensen.
Of course this chart/graph relates to the caps in Lampzator gear, but it should give some idea of their characteristic sonic signatures.
I replaced the coupling caps in my M60s with copper V-Caps and I was blown away by how they sounded after they ran in, which takes around 600 hours .
I ordered my UFO25 with the copper Jupiter caps since my ZTPRE also has them and I am quite happy with how they sound.

1.4/1.5 MHz 20 Bit PCM Qobuz or SSD
HQPE - sonicTransporter i9
HQP Client - i3 Tablet
HQP NAA - Sonore Sig Series Rendu
USB > Holo KTE May > SA1X/47 > ZBIT > ZSTAGE25 > SE84UFO25
Avantgarde Duo Omega & Townshend Super Tweeters
IsoMax > Rives Parc > SUB225s
  IP Logged
jslateiv
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 02/21/19 at 15:43:53

I agree w/MrD.   I too had a pair of Atma - M60's with the C.V-Caps and they are excellent.  My 25th has the C-Jupiter's.  The Jupiter's should last near indefinitely.   Sound wise,  I think the V-Caps are a bit more clinical and the Jupiters a touch more 'smooth',..    I think deciding which way to go would really come down to your other associated gear and probably most importantly amongst that your speakers.   If your speakers are a bit forward or extremely detailed already,  then I personally would opt for the Jupiters.  On the other hand if your speakers are a bit on the 'soft' side,  the V-Caps may wring a little more clarity out of them.    regardless,  I don't think you go wrong either way,  I would look at it as more of a 'fine tuning'.

PureFidelity Harmony (SS Zephyr MIMC / ZYX Ultimate 100 / Miyajima Madake) > Roon/NUC > Holo KTE May > Supratek Cortese LCR > SE84-25 Zen / Gerus 300B / Radu Tarta Ultimate 300B > Triangle Celius 202 / Zu Omen (Hi-Mod) / ZenMstrL-F15 : PSA P12 : Iconoclast Cabling
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #3 - 02/21/19 at 17:08:03

Thanks guys. I plan to order one in the next few months.

Is there anything else i should know about before ordering?

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 02/21/19 at 17:41:44

Hi Geno,

I went with Jupiter's on my 25th because of past experience.  I changed out the vCaps on my Torii MkIII for copper Jupitor's and liked the change.  If I recall correctly, the Jupes were more liquid in my mind.  My system was MUCH different back then and needed smoothing out so I could have a different opinion of them today.

In terms of ordering, I opted for the stepped attenuators.  Sonically, I am not sure there is much difference, but I like the mechanics of them and I like to lock in on a certain step on both sides.

The biggest decision you will have would be whether to buy the tube compliment or have it come with no tubes.  I went the no tubes route having a lot of input tubes from my other Decware amps, multiple rectifiers and even some of the power reg tubes (from my Torii).  I did buy Steve's power tubes which ran about double the pair that I bought on ebay for backup.

There is excellent guidance from the forum members on which tubes to buy should you go that route.  Or you can go with Steve's hand picked tubes which I am sure are excellent.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
jslateiv
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 02/21/19 at 20:12:32

I think that if you don't have an assortment of all the tubes that the 25th uses,  then it makes sense to buy the compliment of them.  I did and they are def. good tubes.   I already had an assortment of inputs that would work but none of the others.  In true obsessive Audiophile fashion, I have since purchased more regulators and rectifiers.   I have found that when rolling the input tubes there will be one regulator (for the input that works best),..    anywho,  if you don't already have all the tubes handy,  buying Steve's set will def. insure you that you get some great tubes that he personally loves and work perfectly with the amp.  I have to say that I do agree with his 7dj8 / 6n5p choice for the inputs as they are excellent sounding in that amp!

PureFidelity Harmony (SS Zephyr MIMC / ZYX Ultimate 100 / Miyajima Madake) > Roon/NUC > Holo KTE May > Supratek Cortese LCR > SE84-25 Zen / Gerus 300B / Radu Tarta Ultimate 300B > Triangle Celius 202 / Zu Omen (Hi-Mod) / ZenMstrL-F15 : PSA P12 : Iconoclast Cabling
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 02/21/19 at 20:15:24

I only tried two input regulator tubes but quickly landed on one I like the best.  OD3W.

I agree with something someone else on the forum said.  It was something like there are no bad sounding tubes in the 25th, so tune to your taste.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #7 - 02/21/19 at 20:26:36

I have been going back and forth in my mind about whether or not to spend the extra money and get the tube complement. I think i could save a little money getting the tubes separately, but i like the hard case the tubes would come in.  Also, if there is something wrong with one of Steve's tubes, he would replace it.  I have a few months to decide on that.

Thanks for yalls suggestions,

Geno

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #8 - 02/21/19 at 20:39:12

By the way, has anyone tried the 6N1P in place of the 7DJ8 or 6N5P?

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 02/21/19 at 21:52:16

Geno wrote on 02/21/19 at 20:39:12:
By the way, has anyone tried the 6N1P in place of the 7DJ8 or 6N5P?

I have. Almost any compatible input tube sounds good in these 25th Anniversary amps--as Johnny notes a specific regulator tube and bias position helps bring out the best in any good tube. I'm using Amperex 7308 myself, I love the bass sound and texture.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #10 - 02/21/19 at 21:56:11

Thanks, Lon.  I cannot wait until the time is right to place the order.

I have a ZLC and ZBIT in Q now, but not too long after I get those, I will pull the trigger on the UFO25!

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
jslateiv
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 02/21/19 at 22:32:23

I have tried the 6n1p and really like it!   It's fast and clear,  my impression at least.  I think any input tube is going to be a toss up until u listen to it in YOUR system.  At this level with this amp, the tubes you will like are very system dependent.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #12 - 07/21/20 at 19:54:12

Quote:
If you go to the Jupiter web site, select the copper and beeswax product, there is a link to a Lampizator page that has a graph detailing the sonic characteristics of 4 copper foil capacitor brands, V-Cap, Jupiter, Duelund and Jensen.
Of course this chart/graph relates to the caps in Lampzator gear, but it should give some idea of their characteristic sonic signatures.

I know this post is a bit old, but I figured I would share the link that shows a pictorial comparison of the various caps.  It was very informative.  

http://www.lampizator.eu/Fikus/CAPACITORS.html

I have been reading all of the SE84UFO25 posts in trying to decide between the copper foil beeswax and the V-Cap when I order my  amp later this year.  The cost to upgrade to the VCap is not a concern.  

With running my Err speakers, and using my new generation Schiit True Multibit DAC, I am trying to discern whether or not a ladder type DAC in general may benefit from a less clinical capacitor like the Jupiter.  

I like tighter bass and love the highs that the VCap offers in comparison to the Jupiter.  But...I am afraid I will miss the representation of the liquid midrange vocals that would favor the Jupiter caps.  Any feedback on my dilemma would be appreciated.  I know I am going

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print