Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 16:13:27 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SE84UFO25 at Final Listening Room Evaluation!!! (Read 8022 times)
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

SE84UFO25 at Final Listening Room Evaluation!!!
02/11/19 at 22:04:20

And the wait is coming close to an end!  Later this week, or early next week?  :)

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rega RP6 w/ Ania Pro & Rega Fono MC MK4
Rotel RCD1070
Hegel HD30 & Copland DAC215
Fezz Audio Mira Ceti 300B, Decware SE84UFO25, Decware SE34I.2+ & Copland CTA405
ProAc D28, B&W DM630 & Rega RS1
Stein & BlackNoise filters
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: SE84UFO25 at Final Listening Room Evaluation!!!
Reply #1 - 02/11/19 at 22:19:27

Awesome Alper! You're in for a great listening experience!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 02/11/19 at 22:34:02

I know, Lon!  The SE84UFO is already so good, despite trying to drive my 88.5 dB ProAc's; I cannot even imagine this one!!!  Thanks for all the great feedback by yourself and few other Forum members, I can buy anything blind-eyed based on your reviews!  :)

Cheers,

Alper

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rotel RCD1070
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 02/12/19 at 00:37:21

You're welcome. I think you'll be amazed and pleased with the apparent increase in volume. And the sound. I know you'll post your impressions. . . .

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 02/16/19 at 04:35:40

So, finally, the SE84UFO25 is on its way to Brooklyn!  Should arrive here on Tuesday!  I am not sure how I can wait till then; I feel like a little kid!  Thankfully, I am not working on Wednesday, so it will be a late night on Tuesday into the wee hours!  :)

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rotel RCD1070
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Re: SE84UFO25 finally here...
Reply #5 - 02/20/19 at 01:47:13

So my SE84UFO25 is here!  This thing sounds quite good even out of the box!  I am sure there will be moments within the next 100 hours which will make me question it, but at the moment I am really enjoying it.

So far, I have heard only jazz including, but not limited to, Aydin Esen's "Anadolu," Michael Brecker's "Time is of the Essence," Pat Metheny's "Bright Size Life" and my "Different City, Different Mood" as well as tunes from Bjork (Stonemilker) and Madeleine Peyroux (Smile).  I am using the stock tubes that came with the amp except the rectifier tube, which is Sophia Electric's 274B.

Even with only 3+ hours on it, it is already quite impressive!  The bass is very prominent; the soundstage is deeper than my SE84UFO (which was quite well broken in); the presentation is more detailed without getting tiresome; and the instruments are much better defined.  As I am listening to Metheny's "Bright Size Life" at the moment, I am once more in love with Bob Moses' cymbals and free playing.

Next will be some classical orchestral music...  I will keep on reporting...

Cheers,

Alper

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rotel RCD1070
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Re: SE84UFO25 at its second five-hour session...
Reply #6 - 02/20/19 at 17:00:30

Today, I started the day with Aaron Parks' "Little Big" continuing with Keith Jarrett's solo "La Fenice" and now John Scofield's "Combo 66."  The amp started its day a bit bass heavy; but after an hour or so, it is more balanced now.  Last night's crisp cymbals and upper registers of the other instruments left their places to a mushier and less defined presentation.  I am not sure what the third five-hour session will present!  :)

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rotel RCD1070
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
jslateiv
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 02/21/19 at 15:54:13

Hey Alper,   I noticed it really jumps around a bit during break-in too!  I felt like after about 80hrs.  that was happening much less and now at ~250 it's soldily locked in place.  I had to adjust my speaker placement majorly once the amp settled in.
 On another note,  you mention John Scofield.  Love him!  If your not familar check out Scofields 'A Go-Go' (w/Medeski, Martin & Wood)  and also Juice (Medeski, Martin, Wood & Scofield).  Both killer albums!

PureFidelity Harmony (SS Zephyr MIMC / ZYX Ultimate 100 / Miyajima Madake) > Roon/NUC > Holo KTE May > Supratek Cortese LCR > SE84-25 Zen / Gerus 300B / Radu Tarta Ultimate 300B > Triangle Celius 202 / Zu Omen (Hi-Mod) / ZenMstrL-F15 : PSA P12 : Iconoclast Cabling
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 02/21/19 at 17:44:46

Hi Alper,

As others have mentioned, the amp changes with time.  I'll post some thoughts on the impressions thread, but its all good and getting better.

Thanks for the music suggestions.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 02/23/19 at 01:24:55

Thanks for the notes, folks.  Actually, I used to play some stuff from the A Go Go album back in the day, jslateiv, I love it a lot!  However, I must admit, though, I am not a big fan of Scofield's compositions any more (not as much as I adore his playing, at least), as he seems to have established a recipe groove and keeps on messing around it.  One of his better work for me (I am sure you have heard it) is Joe Henderson's "So Far, So Near" where Sco nails it so bad!  Of course, not his originals though...  

Coming back to the amp...  Last night, I was out of the apartment when the SE84UFO25 was playing some 96/24 Led Zeppelin albums by itself!  Rather than a 5-hour session, though, it turned to be an 8-hour long session.  So today, in the fifth and last round of the initial burn-in, I started with Julian Lange's "Love Hurts."  I know it is not the best idea to change tubes in the middle of the burn-in process, but I decided to swap my Sophia Electric 274B with the stock tube that came with the amp.  So, I might be comparing apples and oranges.  

Anyway, the amp sounds quite opened up today.  The double bass is not as mushy as the third five hours; in contrast it is tight and a tad louder.  The instruments (guitar, bass and drums) are better placed in the mix.  Lage's once-in-a-while-tube-driven guitar sounds full.  The cymbals are detailed and crisp.  The rim shots give me the impression that the drummer is almost in the room (or I am very close to the stage).  

So, I think the amp is already getting there.  As of tomorrow, I will be running it at least for 10-12 hours a day.  So, by the end of February, I should hit the 100-hour mark.

Cheers,

Alper

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rotel RCD1070
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
jslateiv
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 02/23/19 at 15:11:22

Actually not familiar with the 'So Far, So Near',  will def. have to check that out, thanks!  I do agree that that Scofield has a very distinct style and rif that seems to follow him.   I do love M,M&W though and he lends himself well to that group.
 I purchased a  A-274B about a week ago and have it in since.  Really didn't want to spead ~$150 on a rectifier but at this point feel like it was $$ well spent!   I don't see that tube coming out anytime soon!    Am really enjoying a E288cc as the input tube (w/OA3 & Hi-Bias)

PureFidelity Harmony (SS Zephyr MIMC / ZYX Ultimate 100 / Miyajima Madake) > Roon/NUC > Holo KTE May > Supratek Cortese LCR > SE84-25 Zen / Gerus 300B / Radu Tarta Ultimate 300B > Triangle Celius 202 / Zu Omen (Hi-Mod) / ZenMstrL-F15 : PSA P12 : Iconoclast Cabling
  IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 02/23/19 at 15:47:02

Actually, I realized it is "So Near, So Far!"

A.

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rotel RCD1070
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 02/24/19 at 20:36:10

I am close to 40 hours now on the SE84UFO25, and things seem to be settling in their places!  Today, I have listened to some Wolfgang Muthspiel, first his most recent release from ECM, "Travel Guide" and later "Vienna Naked" with overdubbed guitars and vocals.  The amp is very balanced now; and it sounds louder, most probably, lower and upper mids are more pronounced.  

I am not expecting any negative surprises any more, but I know it will get better and better!  Kudos to Steve once more for coming up with this amp!!!

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rotel RCD1070
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 02/27/19 at 23:46:04

Around 100 hours by now...  And this thing is brewing!!!  I listened to Keith Jarrett's standards trio today (few different albums), Robert Glasper's most recent one, and now I am listening to some Joey Alexander.  Pretty much all piano trios except Glasper...

Piano is a difficult instrument to record, to mix and to reproduce through an amp and a pair of speakers.  Given the quality of the recordings in this case by ECM for Jarrett and Motema for Alexander, I can tell the production of music is quite fine.  The challenge is in how to amplify it as piano is such a dynamic instrument with respect to the 7-plus octaves it covers as well as its dynamic range.  

The SE84UFO25 is taking these recordings to a different level.  The piano is so full and well represented, I can even tell the brand that is used in some of the recordings, if it is a Steinway or a Bosendorfer!  DeJohnette's raw kick sound is exactly the same as every time I heard him live.  Peacock's timid, yet complementary bass playing to Jarrett's piano is tight and detailed to every little nuance.  I should check Bill Evans' earlier trio recordings with Scott LaFaro in this case...

Anyway, the amp is getting better and better!  And driving only an 88.5dB pair of speakers!  It must be some of the best investments I have made in my search for great sound.

Cheers,

Alper

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rotel RCD1070
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged