Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 23:42:35 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Decware newbie - SE84UFO upgrades worth it? (Read 6354 times)
Reptar

Decware newbie - SE84UFO upgrades worth it?
01/30/19 at 22:46:12

Hi - I am looking to purchase the Zen SE84UFO. I just ordered and am waiting to receive Omega Compact Alnico Monitors. I am planning to feed the amp with a DAC, right now I have a Musical Fidelity V90 that is nice but would upgrade that too.

Question: does anyone have experience with the upgrades that are offered for the SE84UFO? - the copper Jupiter Caps and the stepped attenuator? Does it substantially change the sound of the amp? I think I would lean more towards the Cap upgrade but if the attenuator makes a big deal I would consider that as well. Any thoughts or experiences with the upgrades on this amp?

Thanks in advance

Regards
Steve

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Decware newbie - SE84UFO upgrades worth it?
Reply #1 - 01/30/19 at 23:46:15

Steve, if you look around and use the search function you'll find quite a lot of opinion on the forum about these things.

The general consensus on the forum seems to be that the caps are a worthwhile upgrade. I bought one component with the beeswax caps. . . and then every one I bought after that I went for the upgraded caps. There is an openness and clarity to the sound that is NOT analytical and edgy sounding, but natural and revealing.

I tend to like stepped attenuators but confess that there is less of a difference with these compared to the "steeples" attenuators than there is between capacitor choices. Again I think I hear just a bit more consistent clarity at all volume positions and I do like to be able to count the steps with Monoblocks or components with dual controls.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Reptar

Reply #2 - 01/31/19 at 00:57:40

Thanks for the advice, I will try out the search function on the forum, I have been searching on the web.

The Caps seem like a worthwhile upgrade, but having just bought the speakers I would opt to save some money where I can. I share your opinion re; the stepped attenuator, but if there isn't a big sonic impact then I am not inclined to get that upgrade.

Really appreciate your thoughtfulness, time and effort helping me out. I did send a message to the person who has the SE84UFO (2) messages but haven't heard back. I am inclined to  purchase new so I get the lifetime warranty as I hope to have this setup for a long time.

Warm regards,
Steve

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 01/31/19 at 01:28:57

This may be amp/system dependent but Steve didn't think I'd get any benefit out of a stepped attenuator on my ZMA.  So there's a good place to save.  Go for the caps though.  Maybe not the Type II but certainly the beeswax.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Reptar

Reply #4 - 01/31/19 at 01:32:22

Thanks for the advice! Much appreciated.

Regards

IP Logged
AdamsSam
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 04/05/19 at 16:07:29

Thanks Lon, that helped me as well!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print