Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 19:16:35 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Comments on using DecWare Zen + Omega Super 7 (Read 3185 times)
Reptar

Comments on using DecWare Zen + Omega Super 7
01/28/19 at 13:54:22

I just joined this forum. I've never used low power high efficiency speakers before. I am currently running a Cayin A-50t with Monitor Silver 1 - sounds good but a long while back I restored a Fisher 500C and love the warm tube sound that this system doesn't seem to have.

Any comments on using the DecWare Zen Triode with Omega Super 7? Looking for warm easy to listen to music, listen to classical, rock jazz, bigband/swing, reggae - all over the place. MOST Important! I listen in my office in a nearfield environment. The speakers are on a shelf about 3ft away from my head and don't listen loud. Any comments/thoughts? The Zen and Omega super 7 are in my price range but not much more - I listen at low levels mostly. Thanks in advance for any help! Regards

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Comments on using DecWare Zen + Omega Super 7
Reply #1 - 01/28/19 at 13:56:35

My two cents? If you love the sound of the warm Fisher amp. . . don't expect that from Decware. Decware's sound is more neutral, transparent, open. I don't doubt the Decware sound would seduce you . . . but it's not "warm" in that way.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Reptar

Reply #2 - 01/28/19 at 14:21:40

Thank you Lon, I appreciate your thoughts and the time.

Regards

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 01/28/19 at 15:04:26

You're welcome.

That said, if you are listening to low levels mostly the Decware will please by giving you detail you would not expect at that level and a full sound, which will be a nice substitute for the blanket of warmth.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Reptar

Reply #4 - 01/28/19 at 15:11:37

Thanks Lon, I just got off the phone with Omega and after speaking with them ordered the Compact Audio Monitor speakers. It was a pleasure to speak with them, they really helped me a lot! - can't wait to get them now. My next step is to listen how they are in my current setup but will most likely order the Zen's after I get the speakers.

Thanks for your help!

Regards

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 01/28/19 at 15:30:20

Sounds like a good plan!

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 01/28/19 at 18:45:16

Zens plural?

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Reptar

Reply #7 - 01/28/19 at 18:49:35

:), good catch - that is "Zen" , singular! lol

Regards.

PS> have you heard the Omega CAM with a Decware Zen? If so, how does this system sound?

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 01/28/19 at 19:12:12

I have listened to the Zen with the CAM's big brother the Omega SAHO XRS floorstanders. An absolutely great combination, plenty of volume and fast, fast, fast. You'll be very happy with this combo. The Alnico drivers are special, so musical.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Reptar

Reply #9 - 01/28/19 at 19:13:46

Thank you! Can't wait!!!

Regards

IP Logged
Tal
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 01/29/19 at 01:11:08

Reptar
I have Omega S3HO monitors with the UFO2. Fantastic sound! Decware and Omega meld beautifully.

SE84UFO2 25A mods x2, ZP3 25A mods, CSP3 25A mods, ZRock2 25A mods, Rega P3-24 Incognito tonearm rewire and Groovetracer mods, Bob's Devices SUT > ZP3, Denafrips Pontus + Hermes, Bluesound streamer, Zu Soul VI, Omega DeepOmega8 sub,
  IP Logged
Reptar

Reply #11 - 01/29/19 at 21:12:00

Thank you! I will get the Compact Audio Monitors in about 3 weeks (I hope) and see how they work out with my current amp: Cayin A-50t. I may decide to go for the Decware Zen.

Thanks for the response!

Regards

IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 01/29/19 at 22:57:00

Hey Reptor! there is a SE84UFO being offered in the classifieds now. Good price for a like new amp with desirable adds and available NOW rather than a wait of several months to order one!

IP Logged
Reptar

Reply #13 - 01/29/19 at 23:09:50

Hi lazb - well I must be blind or thick or both - I looked but didn't see that amp for sale Sad is there anything you can (please) send as a reference so that I can find it? I ordered the Omega CAM speakers and have to wait to get them but am am definitely interested in getting the SE84UFO.

Help!! (please)

Thanks

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #14 - 01/30/19 at 01:17:18

HERE is the amp that seems still for sale:

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1547075542

IP Logged
Reptar

Reply #15 - 01/30/19 at 02:11:49

Thanks! I sent a PM with some questions, I am wondering if the warranty is transferable and what the effect on the sound is of the copper foil caps.

I appreciate all of your help and time! Very much appreciated.

Regards
Steve

IP Logged
slop
Verified Member

Reply #16 - 02/01/19 at 03:32:37

My best buddy has this exact setup, to say it sounds amazing would be an understatement. Cheers

IP Logged
Reptar

Reply #17 - 02/01/19 at 13:18:35

Thanks, just to confirm: he has the Omega Compact Audio Monitors and the Decware Zen? I've been reading articles about some of the other Decware amps and want to make sure I get the right one. I listen "nearfield" i.e. my head is about 3 feet from the speakers as I sit at my desk and listen when I work. The speakers are on a shelf to lift them up to ear level.

Thanks for taking the time to reach out, much appreciated.

Regards
Steve

IP Logged
riknbkr330
Verified Member

Reply #18 - 02/02/19 at 02:27:01

I'd like to add my two cents. As an owner of a Rachael driving Omega 7 speakers, all I can say is that initially I thought they were really bright.  They'll need about 80 to 100 hours to break in.  The speakers I had been using previously were Rega RS1, which are much darker.
The Omegas really bring out the treble extension but the imaging is really amazing.  I ended up also adding a Omega Deep 8 for more bass extension as well, and that really helped in filling out the sound even more.

I also run these speakers as nearfield monitors.  They are on stands about 3 feet or less....nice triangle.

I will say I'm quite happy and I don't think you'll be dis-satisfied with your purchase.  But if initially you may be surprised on the brightness....maybe.

Main System:
Decware Rachael; Omega Monitor 7; Omega deep8 sub; Oppo BD-105>Zbit; Rega P5; Dynavector 20X2L;Parks Budgie SUT; Decware ZP3.
Second System: Creek Classic 5350SE; Rega RS1; Dual 1264; Musical Surroundings Phonomena II
  IP Logged
Reptar

Reply #19 - 02/02/19 at 04:04:35

Thank you. I had bought Monitor Audio Silver 1 on an impulse as they were being sold by a store going out of biz for about 1/3 or their list price. They seemed very bright/harsh. Online review said they need a lot of time to break in and they are sounding better now, so you may say that I am "bright/harsh adverse"

I was wondering if I should get the Rachel or the Zen, there are a lot of posts that seem to indicate that the Zen should have enough power in a nearfield setup.

I appreciate your input - thoughts on the above?

Regards

IP Logged
Reptar

Reply #20 - 02/02/19 at 04:06:50

I forgot to ask, what are you running for the output tubes in your Rachel?

Thanks

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #21 - 02/02/19 at 21:23:11

Reptar -You have already realized what a great resource this forum is, now my two cents (refunds available). We have been running our Rachael with Omega Super 7XRS mkII for a few years and it's a total marriage made in heaven. Both Steve and Louis are great to work with. I had a Fisher 500C for years but purged it along with everything else when the big Decware buying frenzy was going to happen. Never looked back, but like Lon stated the Fisher and Decware are totally opposites. Sounds like you are on the path of a killer system, keep us posted as to how things progress. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
riknbkr330
Verified Member

Reply #22 - 02/02/19 at 23:45:01

>I was wondering if I should get the Rachel or the Zen, there are a lot of posts that seem to indicate that the Zen should have enough power in a nearfield setup.

I tend to listen around 80 - 90 db and the Rachael is plenty.  Plus I play guitar and I like to play along sometimes.  I use a 1 watt Marshall that is plenty loud and I can blend in with the Rachael no problem.  

>I forgot to ask, what are you running for the output tubes in your Rachel?

Currently I'm running the stock Tungston EL34, Russian PN1P and the Valve Arts 274B, but I've rolled Tesla and Seimens EL34, Phillips ECC88s, Amperex 6922s, GE5U4, and I just think everything I've used sounds great, but right now I'm playing with the stock tubes as a sort of baseline again.  
I've got a ZP3 on order and I just want to stay with a baseline before I start rolling again....always fun.

Main System:
Decware Rachael; Omega Monitor 7; Omega deep8 sub; Oppo BD-105>Zbit; Rega P5; Dynavector 20X2L;Parks Budgie SUT; Decware ZP3.
Second System: Creek Classic 5350SE; Rega RS1; Dual 1264; Musical Surroundings Phonomena II
  IP Logged
Reptar

Reply #23 - 02/03/19 at 00:27:22

Thank you! I really appreciate the reply. I am going to get the Zen. I will wait for the Omega CAMs to arrive and see how they sound with my Cayin but I really want to give a SET amp a try so will most likely get the Zen too!

Thanks for your help. Regards
Steve

IP Logged
thehighend
Verified Member

Reply #24 - 02/23/19 at 20:32:01

I haven't tried that CAM's but a very brief test of the new Omega RS8 driver in a large monitor format left me VERY impressed.  Unfortunately I need to sell that set before even giving them a proper break-in but based on what I heard, I know that I would very much like to have a pair of Omega speakers in my future.  They should be a particularly fine tube-amp match.

IP Logged
Reptar

Reply #25 - 02/23/19 at 22:13:56

Thanks! I should be getting my Omega CAM's next week. I ordered the Decware Zen but they say they will ship sometime in June! Yikes!! Hard to wait that long.. Smiley I guess all good things take time. Smiley

Regards

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #26 - 02/24/19 at 16:30:10

Reptar- Always worth the wait, just as soon as you forget that you have something coming, you get a note fro Sarah that it's in packaging and leaving ....Keep us posted and happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
lobo
Verified Member

Reply #27 - 02/24/19 at 16:33:12

The wait will be worth it,when you finally get your new family member. I just received my new Tori jr  last week. You won't be dissatisfied when the wait is over.

2xse84ufo 25th mods bridged-pontusII-SHD Studio-Liondias silver10 w15
  IP Logged
Reptar

Reply #28 - 02/24/19 at 20:12:03

Thanks Lobo, you understand how hard the wait can be - torture! I am confident that the combination of the Omega Compact Alnico Monitors and the Decware Zen will be a very happy marriage that will keep me happy for a very long time.

Any recommendations for a DAC? I've loved messing around with audio equipment since I was a kid. My father was an electrical engineer and we built amps together. About 15 years ago a friend gave me a Fisher 500C receiver and I used a Fisher Doc kit to restore it. I fell in love with tube sound and have been trying to get back to that happy place. Lost the Fisher in a Divorce but have been longing for a warm - not harsh sound ever since. My main system has a Lavry Black DA-10 that feeds a Rotel head unit and a Rotel 200W per channel power amp that feeds B&W 705 floor standers. It also serves as my Home Theater. I work at home and want to get my office system sounding lush, warm with tube magic. I am hoping this will do it.

Thanks for your encouragement and help!

Regards

IP Logged
lobo
Verified Member

Reply #29 - 02/25/19 at 18:33:05

Reptar i'm using a Schitt Modi Multibit, my streamer is Allo Digione streaming Tidal and internet radio. Pretty dang good for a budget system.

2xse84ufo 25th mods bridged-pontusII-SHD Studio-Liondias silver10 w15
  IP Logged
Reptar

Reply #30 - 02/25/19 at 18:41:04

Thanks for the recommendation re; the DAC. I also use an Allo Digione that feeds my current DAC - Musical Fidelity V90.

I'll look into the multi bit DAC!

Regards

IP Logged
MyBlueSky
Verified Member

An honest tune with
a lingering lead

Reply #31 - 03/20/19 at 23:16:38

I love my Modi multibit and still use it with my Torii.

Good luck with your new system!

Torii mk lV, CSP3, Z Rock 2, Z Box, Nelson Pass Amp Camp Amp, RME ADI 2, Denafrips Venus II, Music Hall mmf 7.3, AVA Vision Q phonostage, Sumiko Bluepoint Evo, Panasonic DP-UP 9000, 947 Monoliths, Zu Omen DW mk2, Omega Super 3 HO monitors, Zen silver RCA
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print