Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 19:36:43 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ZROCK and ZU OMEN MkII - will it do the job? (Read 3164 times)
marcvs66
Verified Member

ZROCK and ZU OMEN MkII - will it do the job?
01/28/19 at 02:20:26

New guy here (see introduction in FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS section).

I just got a new (modest) set-up last week:

Well Tempered Amadeus - tube-based phono-stage - Mini Torii - ZU OMEN MkII speakers. The combination sounds wonderful to me - pretty much blew me away. However - I can already see myself wanting for just a hint more bass.

The member who sold me the Mini Torii, recommended adding a ZROCK into the system. Will the ZROCK give me what I'm looking for? Anybody out there w/ a similar set-up (ZU OMENS) who could give me their opinion? I really don't want to add a subwoofer...

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Re: ZROCK and ZU OMEN MkII - will it do the job?
Reply #1 - 01/29/19 at 06:44:59

Those Omen's have a 10" driver with a stated frequency response down to 35Hz.  They can make bass.  

Factoring in the specs of the Mini Torii, I would say your situation is perfectly suited for the ZROCK2.  

But before concluding anything, are you happy with the overall volume?  If yes, get the ZROCK2.  If you are not getting the overall volume you desire - not just bass - then you should consider upgrading your amp with one that has greater output.  

This is of course offered without knowing anything about your room and any potential issues with that system "component."

With a 30-day return policy, you really can't go wrong.  There is nothing like auditioning any new gear in your room, with your system.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
marcvs66
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 01/29/19 at 17:28:29

**Thanks for your answer, Jeff! Very helpful indeed.

Those Omen's have a 10" driver with a stated frequency response down to 35Hz.  They can make bass.  

**Yes, the Omens do produce decent bass (to my undiscerning ears at least). I adjusted the bottom-gap of the cabinet and I have dialed the bass in as good as it gets at this point. With a well recorded/well mastered/well pressed record - the speakers sound great as they are. With recordings that are your basic run of the mill vinyl record - not so much - something seems to be lacking.

Factoring in the specs of the Mini Torii, I would say your situation is perfectly suited for the ZROCK2.  

**I was hoping, that would be the case. Thanks for confirming.

But before concluding anything, are you happy with the overall volume?  If yes, get the ZROCK2.  If you are not getting the overall volume you desire - not just bass - then you should consider upgrading your amp with one that has greater output.  

**I'm more than happy w/ the volume. It's ridiculous, how loud I can crank those speakers w/ the little Mini Torii.

This is of course offered without knowing anything about your room and any potential issues with that system "component."

**Understood. My goal is to end up with a simple/reasonable system, that punches slightly above its weight-class/price. No special listening room - just my living room - so, there are plenty of compromises to deal with. I'm basically just looking to end up w/ something that sounds really musical and engaging.

With a 30-day return policy, you really can't go wrong.  There is nothing like auditioning any new gear in your room, with your system.

**Good point. Does the 30-day return policy also apply when you add upgrades?

**Thanks again for your insights - they are very much appreciated. I'm pretty new and clueless when it comes to this hobby - so, getting good information from knowledgeable members is what I rely on (along w/ doing a lot of reading).

IP Logged
jslateiv
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 02/11/19 at 15:48:18

I own a pair of Omen's that I have heavily mod'd over the years.  If you are not using a hard surface under your Omen's then I would highly recommend it  (ie, their placed on carpet),..   I got some 13" Butcher blocks off Amazon and bolted them to the base as shown in the pic,  using a bolt as the spacer and some threaded rod cut to length.   Was a very easy mod that provided a noticible improvement in the tightness of the low end and also helps with cabinet resonance a lot.  If your DIY inclined,  I wouldn't think twice about doing this,.. a lot of bang for the buck imo!  
  I have a ZRock2 on order,..  Am running a 25th Anniv. Amp and have plenty of volume with the 2.8 watts in my room.  I don't necessarily feel like I need more bass as properly recored music sounds damn good as is,  but am very curious as to ZR2 and mainly picked it up to help with Streamed Stations I listen to,..  Form what I gather tho,  the ZR2 is really a game changer and just elevates everything,..  We'll see.      
 If your interested in more mods for the Omens,  let me know and I can go into detail all of the others changes I made at Sean Casey's direction!

" alt="" title="" border="0" />

PureFidelity Harmony (SS Zephyr MIMC / ZYX Ultimate 100 / Miyajima Madake) > Roon/NUC > Holo KTE May > Supratek Cortese LCR > SE84-25 Zen / Gerus 300B / Radu Tarta Ultimate 300B > Triangle Celius 202 / Zu Omen (Hi-Mod) / ZenMstrL-F15 : PSA P12 : Iconoclast Cabling
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print