Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 14:43:37 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
volume control removal in ZKIT1 (Read 1857 times)
litefootdan
Seasoned Member

volume control removal in ZKIT1
01/28/19 at 01:11:38

Unfortunately a while ago I bumped something into the volume control in my ZKIT1 and it now makes a loud humming sound everywhere except when it is at maximum.  In this instance, I'd just like to remove it and solder it to run wide open.  Does anyone have the know how and ability to post a pic of a ZKIT1 board with marks on it where I should solder a wire from and to.  Sorry for my complete lack of ability to do anything I should be able to do.  As some may know, I am a "Paint by Number" diy'er.  Anyway, thanks in advance.

Ortofon 2M Bronze | Merrillized AR "The Turntable" | ZP 2 | SE84UFO25 | HDT | Jensen Alnico 15's on the low "OB"
  IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Re: volume control removal in ZKIT1
Reply #1 - 01/28/19 at 16:48:40

Hi Dan

Here's a generic picture.  Double it for stereo.  I don't know if the Zkit board has any provisions for a volume or not, but one way or another it has to follow the picture.

A single wire per channel soldered to the volume control would do it, although if it works fine now "wide open", I'd just set it there and leave it.  Maybe take off the knob.

Dan

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Re: volume control removal in ZKIT1
Reply #2 - 01/29/19 at 02:47:02

Hey Dan!

You should be able to take a peak under the hood and follow the signal wire from the RCA input to the potentiometer and then potentiometer to the input tube.  You would do this for each stereo channel.  I assume your potentiometer is 100k Ohm so you will need to add a 100K Ohm resistor (1/2 or 1 watt) to ground for each channel.  Essentially you will connect the + wire from the RCA jack to one end of the 100K resistor.  Then connect another wire from that same end of the resistor to the input tube pin.  Can probably use the same wire that is already connected to the input tube pin that you removed from the potentiometer.  This will save some effort.  The other end of the 100K resistor will go to ground.  Your potentiometer had a ground wire so you can see where the ground wire on the potentiometer connected to and attach your wire from the other end of 100K resistor to that ground connection point.  

You should notice a nice SQ improvement once finished.  I definitely prefer my ZMA without any onboard attenuation.  

Good luck man  :)

Cheers,
Jeff

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print