Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 12:26:22 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dude, I got a Racheal! (Read 7007 times)
Panhandle Jerry
Verified Member

Dude, I got a Racheal!
01/17/19 at 20:43:15

This is my first post. I just received a Rachael and plugged it in, WOW!  ;D I believe it is the one recently sold by 4krow in the classifieds. She is now sitting on my hobby room table hooked up to some Klipsch RB-81 speakers (97 db according to spec). When I'm working the speakers are about 4-6 feet away, and when I'm lounging on the sofa, speakers are about 15' away. Inputs are a CD player and a Google Chromecast Audio (which is what I mostly use) streaming from my iPhone.

I tried the CD player first and was amazed by the sound! When I switched to Chromecast it was just as amazing. I'm kinda new to hi fi so I haven't learned all those words you guys use......I like AWESOME! The setup is plenty LOUD for my room and my old ears.....drummer ears....

Looking forward to hanging out here and getting ideas on what to do next...speaker cables, placement, room acoustics....

My hobby room is 15' x 25' and full of stuff....sofa, tv, drums, PA, remote control stuff, solder and charging station, and a big work bench on one side where the Rachael and speakers rest.

I'm still trying to figure out all the switches but I'll go ask in the SE34I.5 forum.

Just some background: I'm a retired EE, my first training was back in 1967 when a friend of my grandfather (Mr DeVry of DeVry Tech) gave me one of his learning kits. I loved it and ended taking electronics for 4 years in High school, they only had 2 year course but let me do self study for the other two years. I also went to night school and learned tubes! Well when college came around the only thing I was good at was electronics so Electrical Engineering was stamped on my major by the guidance counselor....I became a digital jock at the right time, worked at a little company that made microprocessors and won the IBM PC design. Talk about being strapped to a rocket ship! Anyway I'm retired now and figured I would go back to my tube roots. This looks like a great place to hangout and learn.

IP Logged
jslateiv
Seasoned Member

Re: Dude, I got a Racheal!
Reply #1 - 01/17/19 at 21:39:21

Welcome and congrats on the Rachael score!   It's a killer amp, esp. on sensitive speakers like yours.   If your amazed now,  wait to you hear it with a really good source!  The music should literally come alive for you.  Don't be afraid to ask anything around here.  The regulars are knowledgeable and always happy to answer questions and give insight.

PureFidelity Harmony (SS Zephyr MIMC / ZYX Ultimate 100 / Miyajima Madake) > Roon/NUC > Holo KTE May > Supratek Cortese LCR > SE84-25 Zen / Gerus 300B / Radu Tarta Ultimate 300B > Triangle Celius 202 / Zu Omen (Hi-Mod) / ZenMstrL-F15 : PSA P12 : Iconoclast Cabling
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #2 - 01/17/19 at 22:23:58

Just a heads up. I'm a regular around here and I wouldn't call myself knowledgeable. In fact I'm pretty sure that I am full of Hooey!
My insights are hollow as my head and if you need information I'm pretty sure that I would send you down the wrong path.
By the way, welcome to our little corner of the world.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 01/17/19 at 23:00:58

Ah Ha, Donnie, I was going to chime in and say welcome but was thinking the same, difference is, I think a real recent regular, but I truly don’t qualify as any but “Hey could somebody tell me...” LOL
Anyway WELCOME and there truly are regulars who know a bunch including the guy above. Enjoy you new amp and just so you know, it’s not the last piece of DecWare you’ll be obtaining.
Best,
Scott

TORII MKIV-25th,ZBIT,ZROCK2-25th,ZTPRE-25th,ZLC,DNA2's, REL S/3 SHO
MyTek Brooklyn DAC+,Sonore ultraRendu LinearPS,sonicTransport APi7 4TB
Woo WA6, Sennheiser HD660s
RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 01/17/19 at 23:01:13

Quit bragging!

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 01/18/19 at 17:39:28

Welcome.  Rachel has been my constant companion for 5 years now.

Donnie = trouble.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #6 - 01/19/19 at 17:03:08

Welcome Jerry- Our Rachael is playing Pandora as we work through our first cup of coffee this morning. The CSP3 and ZP3 are primed for some work this afternoon after chores are done. One of the nice things about winter here (when the AC is on) is plenty of inside time with tunes and books. Keep us posted on your travels and happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 01/19/19 at 18:34:46

You remind me of “Steve” of the DELL commercials whose line was “ Dude, you’re gettin a DELL.”

Welcome aboard. Rather than becoming overwhelmed just see what your weakest link is whether it be source, cabling or whatever

I sold my Rachel almost immediately because it sounded too laid back. If your has an input bias selector switch allowing the input tube to be either hot or cool that would be a plus. Also those shouty Klipsch horns help with a more active presentation.

Good luck with it.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #8 - 01/19/19 at 21:22:21

As noted in the Rachel/34i.3 tweaks or whatever thread, there is a lot that has been done to this amp. Everything from bias mod to UFO transformers, to impedance switches, to switches on the front that allow you to have Rachel receive an audio signal, but only 70hz and above (actually a cap placed in circuit when the switch is on, that cuts off bass at 70hz, 6 db per octave). Signal wiring is all silver plated copper. There is an expensive selector switch made by Gold Point. The mono volume controls are made by TDK. The list is long, and much has to do with preference, at least when it comes to replacing most every bolt with brass one, even on the tranny. The binding posts have been changed, only because I liked black ones as opposed to gold.
Why the Hell did I sell her? To see if more power in my system was an answer. Yes, is the short answer, but I wish that I would have purchased a Tori Jr. In the meantime, I am pursuing SS, and of course, my ZOB speakers are letting me know about any shortcomings of that decision. I have a long way to go with this latest experiment, so stay tuned. It will be a couple of months before the Forte' Audio model 3 amp is complete. A redesign/rebuild is being done presently, and is NOT cheap. At least I have help from a retired design/amp engineer (don't know if that is the correct title, but this guy used to design amps for a company called Sudgeon in Europe). More later, Greg

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
tocnaza
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 02/06/19 at 09:25:47

Welcome and congrats on the Rachael score!   It's a killer amp, esp. on sensitive speakers like yours.   If your amazed now,  wait to you hear it with a really good source!  The music should literally come alive for you.  Don't be afraid to ask anything around here.  The regulars are knowledgeable and always happy to answer questions and give insight.

IP Logged
jslateiv
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 02/06/19 at 13:43:05

That's funny,...    any good reason why 'Tocnaza' here just completely copy and pasted my original reply to this thread at/from the top??

Spam Bot maybe??

PureFidelity Harmony (SS Zephyr MIMC / ZYX Ultimate 100 / Miyajima Madake) > Roon/NUC > Holo KTE May > Supratek Cortese LCR > SE84-25 Zen / Gerus 300B / Radu Tarta Ultimate 300B > Triangle Celius 202 / Zu Omen (Hi-Mod) / ZenMstrL-F15 : PSA P12 : Iconoclast Cabling
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #11 - 02/06/19 at 15:24:47

There is a plagiarist amongst us!  "Tocnaza," disclose your source immediately, you charlatan!

Look on the bright side jslateiv, your post was worthy of a direct carbon copy   Wink

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 02/06/19 at 16:04:37

Spammer for sure.  Just look at his 3 "posts."  Two are cut and pastes of existing posts and one is a long list of links -- which I'm sure are all perfectly safe to click on.   Roll Eyes

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
jslateiv
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 02/06/19 at 18:36:58

Really didn't care that my post was copied,.. Was the thought that a spam bot made it into the system that had me bothered,..  I was reading that post thinking to myself,. 'sounds really familiar'  ;D  Surely Steve can trash that acct. pretty quickly!   I saw the long list of links,...  yeah,  def. nothing nefarious behind those,... Angry

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #14 - 02/07/19 at 04:43:26

Quote:
My hobby room is 15' x 25' and full of stuff....sofa, tv, drums, PA, remote control stuff, solder and charging station, and a big work bench on one side where the Rachael and speakers rest.

First thing to understand with a drum set in the room, is that it will resonate with the music and therefor be adding a fair amount of background sound to the overall mix.  For that reason it is important that it be meticulously tuned at all times.  If the kit sounds really good in your room, the music won't be harmed by it, and in some cases elevated by it.  However, if it sound like crap, all of your music will suck all the time compared to not having a kit.  This can be easily heard by putting bricks on each drum head and pillows inside each tom and the kick.  Point is your kit will be a player in the overall sound of your room.

Congratulations btw on one of our favorite amplifiers!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print