Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/23/24 at 08:47:12 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Technics - suggested KAB mods (Read 27724 times)
Archie
Seasoned Member

Re: Technics - suggested KAB mods
Reply #50 - 01/10/21 at 00:17:43

Agree!  I use Ortofon HSs with my carts since the Technics HSs don't have flat and even mounting surfaces which I need.  Unfortunately, the Ortofon HS is built much higher than the Technics so I had to use a 3/16" wood shim that I made just to level the arm at "0" VTA.  I don't know if other non Technics HSs have this problem as well.  

I've never been able to hear a difference when I've played with the VTA on the fly.  Some are very sensitive to SRA misalignment, I guess I'm not.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Reply #51 - 01/10/21 at 00:34:12

I've played with VTA on the fly primarily with two carts. The first is a Denon DL-311LC MC that didn't always want to stay in the groove. I played with VTA see see if that would help, and fine tuned on the fly. Although I think this was primarily a compliance issue, fine tuning VTA allowed me to keep needle in the groove.
With this experiment I realized the ease of adjusting VTA on the fly, and so also tried it with my Nag MM cart. I started at prescribed height, then fine tuned while playing. I intentionally went up and down from baseline in order to see if I could hear the difference. While I wouldn't say the sound differences were huge, I could detect small changes that I might have never noticed if I hadn't played with this at all. The further I got from prescribed height in either direction, the less "right" it sounded, like the cart was "thinner" sounding. I ended up just a fraction (like .25 mm) higher than prescribed setting. So while my methods weren't scientific, and may have been prejudiced by the record I had on at the time, etc..., the fact I was able to conduct this experiment at all is an uncommon experience among tonearms.

LR:Mini Torii+Wright WPP100 phono, CSP2+SE84UFO, Pioneer Exclusive M4, Accuphase E-303,Graham Slee Jazz Club, Technics SL-1200MK3D Grace F-8 & Nagaoka MP-110, Yamaha NS-1000M, KEF Reference 101, Sony SS-5050
BR: SE84C+, ZP1 phono, Decware 945
JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #52 - 01/10/21 at 00:47:19

There is a long thread at the Steve Hoffman Forum on SRA (stylus rake angle).  I have a cart that is many degrees out of spec and trying to figure out how to correct this was a challenge.  I ended up shimming since the 1200 VTA adjustment wasn't enough.  The guys over there say they can dial in correct SRA by ear!  That's sure not me.  

One thing the 1200 could use is an azimuth adjustment.  The HS that came with my 1200G has it but I can't use that HS as I mentioned before.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print