Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 20:24:48 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Audio Note UK collabs' on EVGA's new audio card (Read 6022 times)
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Audio Note UK collabs' on EVGA's new audio card
01/15/19 at 07:56:40

The CEO of EVGA is a dedicated audiophile and collaborated with Peter Qvortrup of Audio Note UK in designing an audiophile grade soundcard.  Looks like a lot of design thought went into power supplies, DACs, jitter and other key areas and will be using AN UK capacitors in some places.  AKM AK4493 32 bit, 126dB DNR capable D/A converter, fully balanced outputs and with sample rates, from CD (16 bits / 44.1kHz) up to 32bits / 384kHz in PCM and DSD256, are supported natively.  $259 is estimated MSRP and will be released on January 16th 2019 (so it's more than just a thought at this time).

Read about the EVGA Nu Audio Card here.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Re: Audio Note UK collabs' on EVGA's new audio card
Reply #1 - 01/15/19 at 17:19:32

Thanks for posting this Beowulf. I’m not tech savvy at all so I’m trying to understand the use and process.

I have a laptop. This new sound card would replace the laptops existing sound card? Internally or externally?

Then connect the laptop via USB to a DAC?

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 01/15/19 at 19:11:39

Great question Geno,

I've been tempted to get into "digital" listening but after reading this article I don't have a clue where it even goes.  For people who didn't grow up around computers as I am digital is very overwhelming. I know people talk about the ease but I must be missing something.

JD

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3 - 01/15/19 at 20:11:12

Very cool. This is the first I've heard of it, so I did some quick research - the article didn't have any photos, so I looked it up (Google is your friend).

This appears to be an audiophile grade sound card for your Desktop computer. It's an internal component - so no good for you laptop users.

So, who would use this? And how?

Well, that's a good question - I kind of feel like it's a solution looking for a problem.  See, you know how your desktop computer probably has onboard sound already? Has a typical stereo mini-jack that you plug your headphones in, or if it's a bit higher end, might have an optical out or even RCA out? Yeah, well this card is an audiophile version of that! It's nothing new or revolutionary, it's just a sound card, although a much more high end one built with better parts in the audiophile style.

So what would you do with it? Well, you would still plug your headphones into it; it does look like it's got mini and 1/4" jack. It's got the RCA outs so you could connect it directly to your Zen amp, and it's got the typical optical out.

But that's about it. It's a high end sound card - For your computer.

That's great if that's your goal, but it doesn't really help integrate anything, and anchors you to your computer.

How is this different than using a computer to stream your music to your DAC? (like the computers I build for people). Well, all your sound processing and DAC is stuck on that card and in your computer.  Which means your amp has to be by your computer. And you'd have to buy a whole new sound card if you decide to upgrade. With a typical computer streaming music to a typical DAC, you could use the network to connect to the DAC (assuming the DAC support this) and have the computer anywhere, or use USB (which does mean the computer needs to be near the DAC)....but you can always swap out your DAC and keep everything else the same.

I just really can't imagine how this card would be better than having an external DAC as we are all doing already. (shrug)

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4 - 01/15/19 at 20:17:00

Just to clarify -

This is not a hot-rodded part to make your computer sound better with your existing DAC. It has it's own built in DAC, so it's intended to be an all in one solution - just plug in your amp or headphones to your desktop computer.

Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #5 - 01/15/19 at 20:50:24

As always, thank you LR. The wonderful thing about this forum, especially to those of us that are tech newbies, is that I learn something every time I’m here. The best sound possible is what we are all after, but for some of us, understanding how to get there can be confusing. That is where people like you, Steve and the other knowledgeable folks here have helped so much.

Kind regards,

Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 01/15/19 at 21:24:38

LR,

Thanks for the clear explanation, well appreciated. I was tempted to pick up one of your computers for dedicated audio and hopefully will soon when I can afford a great dac.

JD

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #7 - 01/16/19 at 01:41:52

I'm glad I can help - and I'm sorry if that sounded super negative. I just got excited that this would be a cool add on gizmo to make my existing system possibly sound better. Only to found out it's just a fancy sound card, albeit a very fine audio grade one. So that kind of deflated my excitement and left me scratching my head.

If you guys are struggling trying to figure out computer based music playback, I'll see if I can find some 101 guides I can link to or post in the forums (with pictures, since guys like me caint reads good) to help you wrap your head around it and understand what you're getting into. I'd feel bad if you picked up a PC and DAC and everything, only to find it just really wasn't your thing.

That said, it's not really all that difficult, just different. It's just us audiophile nerds that make it difficult, because we like to be able to tweak everything. LOL  And I feel that we're really at the tipping point were audiophile level of digital music playback is suddenly going to be easier and better integrated into gear. It's still kind of the wild west of different file formats, protocols, drivers, DACs and everything. Hell, even Steve streams music and probably only complains about it once or twice a day!  ;D

beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 01/16/19 at 02:38:20

This is a high grade audio card made for a desktop PC used in a 2 channel stereo or HTPC capacity.  It exists for someone who wants an all-in-one solution DAC/Audio Server for their 2 channel audio/video needs.  It will sound better than the on-board audio that comes with your motherboard and has truly balanced output which is unique for this type of card.  

With this card no external DAC would be necessary/needed which could save you a significant amount of money especially for those who are just dipping their toes into computer based audio.  The DAC chip it uses is excellent, likewise the caps used are audiophile grade and special attention has been put into controlling jitter.  Putting this into a well planned/made HTPC may even compete with higher end units like Aurendor.  

Yes, you would most likely get better sound from an external dedicated DAC that has it's own LPSU, but for someone on a budget or using a cheap external DAC that uses a switching power supply such as iFi (= Chi-fi) types of DACs and is looking for less clutter and to save money then this an all-in-one solution would be a better IMO.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print