Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 15:35:10 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
DAC/Music Server - No laptop (Read 26825 times)
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: DAC/Music Server - No laptop
Reply #50 - 02/20/19 at 14:52:50

I'm very pleased I can help!
Even with my IT knowledge I had to trudge through it and figure it out.
I figured why re-invent the wheel and just help folks shortcut to the end and seeing if they even like digital music!

Worst case, if someone decides they don't like the whole digital music thing, they still have a nice computer!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #51 - 02/21/19 at 18:27:49

We need to do a comparo El Presidente.  

Given my new amp a little more time to season and then we should CDApS up and see how they sound.

My mini should be a good to higher quality version of the mini with an i7, SSDs and external power supply.

We'd need to figure out the player that would be available on both.  I never really listen to the Tidal player, but we could have that on both computers.  What else is cross-platform?

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #52 - 02/21/19 at 20:13:42

That would be a cool comparison. From what I gather from the harder core Mini set, part of the Mini attraction is how good Audirvana (once tuned), Pure, and Amarra sound. I don't recall that Amarra has a Windows version, but Audirvana seems to finally have it. Maybe download a trial, set them up the same filters and settings, and test? Don't know how buggy the Windows version is, but it would seem the audio engines would be pretty close.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #53 - 02/21/19 at 22:35:33

Why limit ourselves to same/same cross platform software?

Why not have the same music files, and just see what each system does on it's own merits?

For example, let's just take one of our playlists, load up one of my budget machines with those files, load up one of the experimental Linux machines with the same files, load up one of the Apple machines with the same files, and just see what sounds best with whatever native software?  If they are all close to indiscernible that tells us something right there.  If one system shines above all others, let's drill down and figure out why.

We could still do cross platform same/same, but I don't think that tells us as much as specific built around a certain software system would.

For all we know, Bad Wolf's Linux build might just crush all. But we might not even notice if we limit this to Tidal.

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #54 - 02/21/19 at 23:11:53

Because we won’t know if it’s the software or the machine.  Maybe roon or whatever crushes Audirvana.  

We could also do as you say and that has merit but I was thinking box comparison first.

I forgot about BW’s rig.  If we are disiplined we could get through three systems.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #55 - 02/22/19 at 02:23:59

BW's got the boxes ready for us to test. He already told me he wants to buy the 3rd one off me.

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print